Stephen A. Smith: DeMar DeRozan Leaving Raptors For L.A. In Offseason

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Stephen A. Smith: DeMar DeRozan Leaving Raptors For L.A. In Offseason 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:55 pm

DeMar DeRozan will be a free agent this offseason coming off a career year with the Toronto Raptors.

DeRozan was the ninth overall pick in 2009 out of USC.

"He's enjoying his last days in Toronto because he'll leaving for Los Angeles in a few months anyways," said Smith of DeRozan.

While Smith doesn't specify which team from Los Angeles he predicts will sign DeRozan, it is presumably the Los Angeles Lakers given their needs on the wing and available cap space.

Via Stephen A. Smith/ESPN

kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Re: Stephen A. Smith: DeMar DeRozan Leaving Raptors For L.A. In Offseason 

Post#2 » by kenwood3333 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:10 pm

The feeling will be mutual after the another first round lost for the Raptors.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,695

Post#3 » by binjumper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Another gem from one of th greatest writers of our generation.
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#4 » by GaaBaaBoo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:50 pm

More beef jerky DeMar!
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#5 » by Cassius » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:31 pm

The ideal situation for the Raptors is that the Lakers get the first pick, take Simmons, then Raps sign and trade DeMar for Julius Randle.

Russ
Clarkson
DeMar
Simmons
- Anybody

Not sure if the CBA allows sign-and-trade players to get more money from their existing team, but if that's the case, hopefully the Raps can get something out of DeMar's departure.

And no, I don't think that Ben Simmons would work as a full-time SF.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Bang' Em Smurf
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Bang' Em Smurf » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:01 pm

yeah. if he can't carry a team passed the 1st round with this roster, then we got nothing else to discuss here.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Cassius wrote:The ideal situation for the Raptors is that the Lakers get the first pick, take Simmons, then Raps sign and trade DeMar for Julius Randle. Russ/Clarkson/DeMar/Simmons/Anybody Not sure if the CBA allows sign-and-trade players to get more money from their existing team, but if that's the case, hopefully the Raps can get something out of DeMar's departure. And no, I don't think that Ben Simmons would work as a full-time SF.

It's very very unlikely the Raptors would get anything close to Randle out of LAL. Lakers have enough cap space to sign Demar twice over, and he's UFA so matching isn't in the picture. The only thing teams get back in a situation like that is a second rounder or some small compensation, especially for someone for whom a 5-year max is already shaky.
Cassius
RealGM

Post#8 » by Cassius » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:39 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Cassius wrote:The ideal situation for the Raptors is that the Lakers get the first pick, take Simmons, then Raps sign and trade DeMar for Julius Randle. Russ/Clarkson/DeMar/Simmons/Anybody Not sure if the CBA allows sign-and-trade players to get more money from their existing team, but if that's the case, hopefully the Raps can get something out of DeMar's departure. And no, I don't think that Ben Simmons would work as a full-time SF.

It's very very unlikely the Raptors would get anything close to Randle out of LAL. Lakers have enough cap space to sign Demar twice over, and he's UFA so matching isn't in the picture. The only thing teams get back in a situation like that is a second rounder or some small compensation, especially for someone for whom a 5-year max is already shaky.

I would think that the Lakers appeasing DeMar by getting him the 5th year would be enough to get more than a shoddy pick. Considering the deals Ujiri has already pulled off, on top of the ability to plug Simmons into that vacated spot, I think LA would be more likely to play ball. Basically, either he takes the 5 from the Raps and the Lakers trade them Randle on December 9th or they just get the deal done today.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
indilakeshow
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#9 » by indilakeshow » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:02 pm

Cassius wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

I would think that the Lakers appeasing DeMar by getting him the 5th year would be enough to get more than a shoddy pick. Considering the deals Ujiri has already pulled off, on top of the ability to plug Simmons into that vacated spot, I think LA would be more likely to play ball. Basically, either he takes the 5 from the Raps and the Lakers trade them Randle on December 9th or they just get the deal done today.

I don't think you can sign and trade a player and give them 5 years.
GreenWithEnvy wrote:
Lakers have absolutely nothing besides Kobe and Lamar to get Andre Miller...give it up Laker fans.
Cassius
RealGM

Post#10 » by Cassius » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Yeah, you're right

A sign-and-trade deal can be made with a free agent who has been renounced, as long as all the above criteria are met. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for at least three seasons (not including any option year) and no longer than four seasons3. The first year of the contract must be fully guaranteed, but the remaining seasons can be non-guaranteed. The combination of a three-year minimum with a one-year guarantee ensures that the player's new team cannot acquire the player's Bird rights any sooner than if they had signed him directly (if they wanted to re-sign him in less than three years they would first have to waive him, and lose any Bird rights -- see question number 33).
lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Post#11 » by lonea » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:04 pm

Don't know if any one take skip bayless and stephen a smith seriously....
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#12 » by malgus » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:05 pm

doesn't he play the same position as air jordan clarkson
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:15 pm

I am friends with one of the hosts of "Finding Bigfoot." Stephen A. talks about NBA rumors like my friend talks about Sasquatch... He comes up with ideas from somewhere deep in the recesses of his mind and then uses his imagination as a "source." He could be right but I want evidence; hair, teeth, bone fragments... Anything to show that you're not just making this crap up!
HEDOBALL
Veteran
And1: 1,486

Post#14 » by HEDOBALL » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:15 am

Has Stephen A. Smith ever broken a story in the NBA?

Just wondering, cite sources if it's true.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#15 » by HotelVitale » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:22 am

Cassius wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: It's very unlikely the Raptors would get anything close to Randle out of LAL. Lakers have enough cap space to sign Demar twice over, and he's UFA so matching isn't in the picture. The only thing teams get back in a situation like that is a second rounder or some small compensation, especially for someone for whom a 5-year max is already shaky.

You're inventing an entire scenario to make that seem plausible. Would Derozan only want to sign a five-year deal? (The 4-year deal (with opt-outs) has been more popular the last couple years). Would the Lakers want a decent second banana badly enough to give him a full, new-cap max and give up their 21 year-old PF? Would Derozan really demand his new teams give up one of their better assets to give him that extra year? Especially when that means he'll get his next contract at age 31--which is a rough age to be looking for another 5 year deal?

We can debate what's realistic all day, all I can say is that a) I'd doubt that all of those things are true and b) there's no history of what you're proposing happening in the NBA (especially not for a very low-level all-star player like Derozan).

(Also, it's bad logic to think it's a good thing to dump Randle so Simmons can take his spot. He could fetch a late 1st or something if they really want to dump him--he's 21, on rookie scale for 2 more years, and played alright this season--and in any case nobody has any idea what Simmons will look like as a pro. Having a guy with positive value is never a bad thing, since by definition you can flip him for something you want, even if it's not much).
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#16 » by luss54321 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:06 am

We all hate Stephen A. Smith, but DeRozan is leaving Toronto. No doubt about it.
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#17 » by Kobe System » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:31 am

Cassius wrote:The ideal situation for the Raptors is that the Lakers get the first pick, take Simmons, then Raps sign and trade DeMar for Julius Randle.

Russ
Clarkson
DeMar
Simmons
- Anybody

Not sure if the CBA allows sign-and-trade players to get more money from their existing team, but if that's the case, hopefully the Raps can get something out of DeMar's departure.

And no, I don't think that Ben Simmons would work as a full-time SF.

Why would the Lakers give up Randle when they can just sign DD outright?
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#18 » by mowcrowbar » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 am

Since when is what anything Smith says worth any serious discussion? This man is a loud mouth triggered by his ever changing emotions. If anything, DeRozan will have to agree to a sign and trade, he owes at least that much.
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#19 » by Rhythm043 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:37 pm

luss54321 wrote:We all hate Stephen A. Smith, but DeRozan is leaving Toronto. No doubt about it.

Demar has done nothing but speak of wanting to stay in Toronto and see this thing through. Im sure he really wants to go back to losing again with the Lakers.

There is no doubt about it that you and SAS have absolutley no information to back up that claim. "No doubt about it" ...lol thats ridiculous. Ill revisit your post after the summer. Everyone wants to make their prediction.

To end all the bs it would be nice if Demar went on twitter and exposed SAS. No way he revealed anything to that guy about plans to leave. Especially before a playoff series.
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014

Return to Wiretap Discussion