Bulls Sought Additional Starter-Level Player From Celtics In Jimmy Butler Talks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bulls Sought Additional Starter-Level Player From Celtics In Jimmy Butler Talks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:08 pm

The Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls held discussions at the draft centered on Jimmy Butler.

According to the Chicago Tribune, one of the proposals was Jae Crowder, the No. 3 pick and the No. 16 pick. The Bulls would have used the pick on Kris Dunn.

A source says the Bulls also demanded an additional starter-level player in the trade.

Butler was an All-Star in 2015 and 2016 but the Celtics felt the price was exorbitant. 

Via Kevin O'Connor/The Ringer

donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Re: Bulls Sought Additional Starter-Level Player From Celtics In Jimmy Butler Talks 

Post#2 » by donaldtrump_00 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:55 pm

We lost Derrick rose for crap. Which I'm still not happy with. Should've gotten a better package for a player his caliber. Then the Celsius try to steal our other best player for draft picks and Jae crowder. All I know about him is he can defend. Danny ainge need to stop smoking.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Bulls Sought Additional Starter-Level Player From Celtics In Jimmy Butler Talks 

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:21 am

donaldtrump_00 wrote:We lost Derrick rose for crap. Which I'm still not happy with. Should've gotten a better package for a player his caliber. Then the Celsius try to steal our other best player for draft picks and Jae crowder. All I know about him is he can defend. Danny ainge need to stop smoking.

Rose had no-trade value - bulls had to eat Robin Lopez's contract in order to get a deal done. Rose is far from what he was when he won mvp, is injury-prone, imature (dumb comments about his next contract or his body being sore when he's 80) and potentially a convicted rap*** if he loses his trial. From Knicks perspective it's a worthy gamble because if Rose plays well - the team is better if not than the marriage only lasts one year and Knicks have more cap space going forward
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#4 » by Alonzo_Morning » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:11 am

That price probably was exorbitant, but dem assets doe?
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,484

Post#5 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:16 am

donaldtrump_00 wrote:We lost Derrick rose for crap. Which I'm still not happy with. Should've gotten a better package for a player his caliber. Then the Celsius try to steal our other best player for draft picks and Jae crowder. All I know about him is he can defend. Danny ainge need to stop smoking.

Derrick Rose is crap

He was awful and always will be hurt
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#6 » by 15th overall » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:43 am

I'm gonna assume the unnamed starter that Chicago wanted thrown on top of Jae/3/16 was Avery. Too rich for my taste.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
foreigngrammar
Pro Prospect
And1: 470

Post#7 » by foreigngrammar » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:23 am

here we go... :lol:
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#8 » by ptpablo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:49 am

I get it that Lopez does not score as many points as derrick rose. But Lopez was the best player in that trade.
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#9 » by Ferulci » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:22 pm

So you miss on Jimmy Butler (Top 20 in the league, 2-way superstar in his prime, signed for years on great contract) because you dont want to add Avery Bradley or Amir Johnson ? Ainge played himself on that one.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#10 » by Donnyxc » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:38 pm

Ferulci wrote:So you miss on Jimmy Butler (Top 20 in the league, 2-way superstar in his prime, signed for years on great contract) because you dont want to add Avery Bradley or Amir Johnson ? Ainge played himself on that one.

I can't wait for Jaylen Brown to prove you wrong.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#11 » by MitchB3 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:07 pm

The Bulls are asking for too much, when in reality they just got lucky, that they didn't have to go through a full rebuild. Butler would have been a nice piece to the Celtics, and his style of basketball the Celtics fan would have loved, but to ask for additional starter-level players, while you were getting the No. 3 overall pick along with the No. 16, you should be satisfied
MitchB3
Starter

Post#12 » by MitchB3 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
Ferulci wrote:So you miss on Jimmy Butler (Top 20 in the league, 2-way superstar in his prime, signed for years on great contract) because you dont want to add Avery Bradley or Amir Johnson ? Ainge played himself on that one.

That's if Brown gets minutes, he's either going to be a SG or the SF, and Jae will most likely be getting majority of those minutes.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#13 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:16 pm

You admit you know little about a player than bash the offer, makes zero sense. There was also a reason why the return on Rose was small...
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#14 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:18 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

That's if Brown gets minutes, he's either going to be a SG or the SF, and Jae will most likely be getting majority of those minutes.

He's been getting minutes at both the three and the four this preseason, I don't believe the depth at the guard position will effect his minutes. He'll see around 12-15 a game to start off.
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#15 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:23 pm

I highly doubt Amir Johnson was a deal breaker and both Bradley and Crowder are tuff to give up when at the time you don't have Horford under contract yet. I'm not sure I would call Butler a superstar quite yet either.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#16 » by MitchB3 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:26 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

He's been getting minutes at both the three and the four this preseason, I don't believe the depth at the guard position will effect his minutes. He'll see around 12-15 a game to start off.

That's preseason, just because you get minutes during preseason doesn't automatically mean you are getting playing time during the season, especially if the Celtics are looking to grab the third seed, and maintain for the season.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#17 » by MitchB3 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:29 pm

Stop looking at the trade from a Bulls fan point of view and look at it this way; yes granted Crowder is not Jimmy Butler a top 5 SG/SF, or a top 15 player overall. However, he's cheaper than Butler, and the Bulls didn't even know what the direction they wanted to in. THEY GOT LUCKY, when they signed Wade; if the Pat Riley didn't disrespect him he would still be in Miami this upcoming season. If the Bulls had thrown in Doug McDermott or Nikola, the Celtics would have given up even more. They would have added Avery Bradley and/or Marcus Smart, along with the No. 3 pick, No. 16 pick, and No. 1 overall pick for next season draft; because if you think about the Bulls would have gotten the better end of the deal.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#18 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:02 pm

You can't look at it in a vacuum though. Butler is obviously a better individual player than either Bradley or Crowder. But what's next?
*You traded the guys you need next to Butler, to get Butler.
*You essentially have one less salary slot for a high end starter because Bradley and Crowder are signed for $15M combined. You now have to replace 2/3 of your best players in 2015 and you have fewer avenues to do it.
*You don't add a blue chip youngster. Given the fickleness of the lottery, that 3rd overall pick might be the best you ever get.

This kind of 3-for-1 exchange (given that all 3 are extremely cheap and controllable) would make the team better tomorrow. But it also makes them shallower tomorrow, and constrains their ability to make the next move. I can see why you pass it up and take your chances.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#19 » by ontnut » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:51 pm

If the other starter was not named Isaiah or Avery, the Celtics made a mistake here.
Amir or Smart or any other player other than the two above, should not be a deal breaker for them in acquiring Butler. Butler and Bradley would be the second best wing duo in the league after Klay and KD, and possibly the best 2-way wing duo. With Horford and Isaiah, they would legitimately have a team that could challenge Cleveland for the ECF.

If the Bulls were asking for Bradley, Crowder and both 1st picks, then yeah, I'd hang up the phone.

Return to Wiretap Discussion