Derrick Rose Would Like To Spend Remainder Of Career With Knicks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Derrick Rose Would Like To Spend Remainder Of Career With Knicks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 2, 2016 10:23 pm

Derrick Rose has played better than many expected so far with the New York Knicks.

Rose is scheduled to be a free agent this offseason but he has interest in remaining with the Knicks.

"Finding out how we’re going to win games, we got 10 new people on the team—it’s not like they had a foundation here and we came right into it," said Rose. "We’re building the culture. We’re building the foundation now. I’m under a one-year contract so of course I want to play the rest of my life here. But it takes time, it takes patience to figure out how everyone is going to fit, if it is going to fit and going from there."

Rose was also asked about how the Knicks are developing chemistry.

"It’s taking time, man," said Rose. "Everyone is getting comfortable with each other and figure out a new system without making things hard for each other on the floor. Of course, I can’t play the same way I played in Chicago with this team, like coming out and firing right away. I’ll look dumb shooting all those shots I shot in Chicago with this team and with the talent we have with this team. It’s about being patient, taking our time and letting it all click. At some point in the season, I know I’ll be able to play the way I normally know how to play. First we gotta learn how to win."

Via Peter Walsh/Slam

ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Re: Derrick Rose Would Like To Spend Remainder Of Career With Knicks 

Post#2 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:26 pm

All two years of it?
SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 483

Post#3 » by SlimD235 » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:20 am

. I’ll look dumb shooting all those shots I shot in Chicago with this team and with the talent we have with this team

You looked dumb shooting those in Chicago too!!
Amsterdam
Analyst
And1: 1,622

Post#4 » by Amsterdam » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:41 am

It will all depend how far we go this year. A non-playoff year will not get a new contract with the New York. My overall feelings that it's a win situation for the Knicks, given the amount of good point guards are free agents this year.

Plus we have the luxury of having a #1 pick and Jennings ready to step in in a pinch. The future is not compromised, however the better the Knicks get, the better it is for fans, management and Rose himself.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#5 » by FNQ » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:59 am

"us too!"
- 29 anonymous GMs
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#6 » by bringinhinkie » Sat Dec 3, 2016 2:40 am

FNQ wrote:"us too!"
- 29 anonymous GMs

As a knicks fan , I now know why bulls fans were rejoicing after getting rid of him. I can't believe this guy somehow managed to win an MVP. Literally dribbles out of control with his head down 90% of the time. The anti-point guard. When Jennings comes in, it feels like Magic Johnson is out there..

I hate bashing players, but it's just impossible to watch. At least when it was Al Harrington, the team had 0 expectations. Rose doesn't even look bad physically--he just does not play any semblance of team basketball.

There's no way Phil likes what he is seeing.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,813

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Sat Dec 3, 2016 2:46 am

RA Dickey wrote: As a knicks fan , I now know why bulls fans were rejoicing after getting rid of him. I can't believe this guy somehow managed to win an MVP. Literally dribbles out of control with his head down 90% of the time. The anti-point guard. When Jennings comes in, it feels like Magic Johnson is out there.

In addition to that (and his usual junk defense), he's also not good at the forcing-the-ball/volume-shooting thing. Still has some fun moments but he's not a very good team or individual player anymore, and he hasn't really been better on NYK than the Bulls.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#8 » by TimRobbins » Sat Dec 3, 2016 7:02 am

What is this guy talking about? He's taking almost the exact number of **** he did in Chicago?

Even the Knicks aren't dumb enough to keep him. Or are they?
ralphisBullsFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#9 » by ralphisBullsFan » Sat Dec 3, 2016 2:29 pm

Rose will expect a big contract, if New York doesn't offer him it he will go to the team that will pay him the most.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#10 » by donaldtrump_00 » Sat Dec 3, 2016 6:23 pm

ralphisBullsFan wrote:Rose will expect a big contract, if New York doesn't offer him it he will go to the team that will pay him the most.

That's pretty much every player in there contract year. They want the money. He's a former mvp of course he looking for a big pay day. He's going to get it. Whether it's the knicks or whomever else. I don't think he fits the knicks longterm. He should give philly a try. He has embid and Ben Simmons. No telling who philly drafts in 2017. I'm sure it will be better then anything ny has. Melo is aging. Why not be the vet on a very young team in philly. More shots also. It makes so much sense for him.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Dec 3, 2016 6:47 pm

^
Interesting, with Simmons playing PG.

Problem is, can he shoot well enough.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Sat Dec 3, 2016 10:21 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:^

Giannis is a poor outside shooter at PG as well and that's worked out.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Sat Dec 3, 2016 10:23 pm

RA Dickey wrote:
FNQ wrote:"us too!"
- 29 anonymous GMs

As a knicks fan , I now know why bulls fans were rejoicing after getting rid of him. I can't believe this guy somehow managed to win an MVP. Literally dribbles out of control with his head down 90% of the time. The anti-point guard. When Jennings comes in, it feels like Magic Johnson is out there..

I hate bashing players, but it's just impossible to watch. At least when it was Al Harrington, the team had 0 expectations. Rose doesn't even look bad physically--he just does not play any semblance of team basketball.

There's no way Phil likes what he is seeing.

You better hope so. Rose is playing the exact same way he did post-MVP in Chicago, how could Phil not had known what he was trading for ahead of time?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#14 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Dec 4, 2016 2:56 am

The_Hater wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:^

Giannis is a poor outside shooter at PG as well and that's worked out.

I meant can Rose shoot well enough to be Simmon's Della.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Evolution999
Junior
And1: 93

Post#15 » by Evolution999 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 4:13 am

Bad Bad idea to sign this guy to a long term deal. I wouldnt be opposed to signing to him a 1 or 2 year max deal but to lock yourself into a longterm deal with this guy would be a fireable offense. As much as hes struggling now, once he signs a long term deal any motivation he has (probably even to just play through bumps and bruises) goes down the tubes. We'll see just how smart Phillip is pretty soon i guess.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#16 » by Sam195 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 9:13 am

Evolution999 wrote:Bad Bad idea to sign this guy to a long term deal. I wouldnt be opposed to signing to him a 1 or 2 year max deal but to lock yourself into a longterm deal with this guy would be a fireable offense. As much as hes struggling now, once he signs a long term deal any motivation he has (probably even to just play through bumps and bruises) goes down the tubes. We'll see just how smart Phillip is pretty soon i guess.

Brooklyn will go after him just to jack the price up for the knicks. I think knicks will have to offer him at least the 4 year max deal because a few teams will (the cap is higher but so is the salary cap floor next summer so teams have to spend). There is no reason to offer him a 5 year max deal though because Knicks only posses that option. The rising salary cap has seen injury prone role players like Joakim Noah get 4 years 70M (fully guaranteed) and Eric Gordon get 4 years 53M (fully guaranteed). Chandler "Bad Knees" Parsons got 4 years 95M (fully guaranteed). Bradley Beal who has been injury prone in his short career so far and has yet to make an all star team got 5 years 130M (fully guaranteed). I think Rose's chances of getting overpaid next summer are in his favor.
nguyen925
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#17 » by nguyen925 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 9:31 am

Sam195 wrote:
Evolution999 wrote:Bad Bad idea to sign this guy to a long term deal. I wouldnt be opposed to signing to him a 1 or 2 year max deal but to lock yourself into a longterm deal with this guy would be a fireable offense. As much as hes struggling now, once he signs a long term deal any motivation he has (probably even to just play through bumps and bruises) goes down the tubes. We'll see just how smart Phillip is pretty soon i guess.

Brooklyn will go after him just to jack the price up for the knicks. I think knicks will have to offer him at least the 4 year max deal because a few teams will (the cap is higher but so is the salary cap floor next summer so teams have to spend). There is no reason to offer him a 5 year max deal though because Knicks only posses that option. The rising salary cap has seen injury prone role players like Joakim Noah get 4 years 70M (fully guaranteed) and Eric Gordon get 4 years 53M (fully guaranteed). Chandler "Bad Knees" Parsons got 4 years 95M (fully guaranteed). Bradley Beal who has been injury prone in his short career so far and has yet to make an all star team got 5 years 130M (fully guaranteed). I think Rose's chances of getting overpaid next summer are in his favor.

No way Derick Rose gets a max contract for 5 years from anyone else but the Knicks and the Nets. His entire game was built around his insanely un-matchable athleticism (that maybe Westbrook could match). He's not the same player that a whole team can build around anymore.

Yeah I agree that Noah, Gordon and Parsons got some pretty hefty contracts but that doesn't always mean Rose will.
Noah is still a pretty good Center this league who can defend and pass the ball, Gordon can still shoot (he will get injured, its just a matter of time) and Parsons.. the Grizzlies were desperate to add talent now with Conley, Randolph and Gasol all aging. The Wizards really had no choice but to give Beal his crazy contract, he's a top 10 SG when healthy, but granted he's still 3 years younger than Rose with no ACL/MCL tears. It definitely helps that Gordon, Parsons, and Beal can all shoot the 3 pretty well (38%+) so their games will age decently... heck you still have MIKE MILLER playing... I bet Ray Allen or even Reggie Miller could sign with a team with no hesitation.

Return to Wiretap Discussion