New CBA To Contain Designated Veteran Extension Provision

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

New CBA To Contain Designated Veteran Extension Provision 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:30 am

An important new aspect of the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement will be the ability for teams to sign their own players to extensions.

Teams will be able to choose a Designated Veteran to sign to a long-term extension.

The ability for teams to sign their own players to extensions was compromised as part of the collective bargaining agreement that was put in place in 2011.

The initial beneficiaries of the new provision will likely be the Indiana Pacers and Sacramento Kings who will be able to extend Paul George and DeMarcus Cousins, respectively, in the 2017 offseason.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

youblewwit
Sophomore
And1: 10

Re: New CBA To Contain Designated Veteran Extension Provision 

Post#2 » by youblewwit » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:42 am

What's the difference between this new rule and the old designated extension one? The one made famous where MINN opted NOT to give the 5yr to Love because they wanted to save it for Rubio.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#3 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:11 am

Sounds like they are creeping toward a franchise player exception. Which I've been arguing for for years.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#4 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:06 pm

[quote="Winsome Gerbil"]Sounds like they are creeping toward a franchise player exception. Which I've been arguing for for years.[/quote

What exactly would that be?? I hope it's nothing like the NFL franchise tag.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,382

Post#5 » by Billl » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:08 pm

youblewwit wrote:What's the difference between this new rule and the old designated extension one? The one made famous where MINN opted NOT to give the 5yr to Love because they wanted to save it for Rubio.

Apparently, the player actually has to have done something - eg all star's etc. to qualify.
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#6 » by RaptorRed » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:02 pm

Im a little confused ? What does this change ? If you currently can't sign your players to extensions how did the Thunder do it with Westbrook ?
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#7 » by JCruz6 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:09 pm

RaptorRed wrote:Im a little confused ? What does this change ? If you currently can't sign your players to extensions how did the Thunder do it with Westbrook ?

I think this is more geared towards signing an extension with a player at any point during their current contract, given that they meet the criteria (awards/all-star/MVP), so that they don't hit the free agency market.

I think before, the team the current player is on had to wait to a specific date before they can do an extension - I think that would explain when they say "so-and-so is eligible for an extension on [insert date]". So there's a window when the team can do it and I think it's before or during their final year. So you have all the speculation of trading or letting them go, like what happened with Durant.

Now, if the player you want to extend qualifies, you can extend him at the next opportunity, whenever that is (offseason?). For ex, Paul George is signed through (but can opt out) 2019, but they said they can resign him in the 2017 offseason - I don't think you could have resigned him that early before hand.

The criteria make sense because if there weren't any criteria, no player with any promise would ever hit free agency. So teams would just resign over and over. If you look at it this way - a team can keep a player (as long as he wants to stay there) by extending his contract at any point as long as he continues to perform at a high level - so he doesn't leave for FA.
SocalJazz
Sophomore
And1: 221

Post#8 » by SocalJazz » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Billl wrote:
youblewwit wrote:What's the difference between this new rule and the old designated extension one? The one made famous where MINN opted NOT to give the 5yr to Love because they wanted to save it for Rubio.

Apparently, the player actually has to have done something - eg all star's etc. to qualify.

I'm not sure all star is the best example for a player actualy to have done something.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#9 » by Throwback24 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:Sounds like they are creeping toward a franchise player exception. Which I've been arguing for for years.

At 35 percent of the cap you're pretty much there.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#10 » by likashing » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:22 pm

Unlike other players whose contracts end in 2018, Westbrook has a player option for 18-19. I wonder how it will apply for him.

Veteran extension used to be 4 years including remaining seasons. If it becomes 5 years, that means Westbrook is eligible for a 3 year extension (5 including 17-18 then his 18-19 player option) during 2017 summer?
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Sounds dangerous. Some players that are borderline might have to be more selfish
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion