Kevin Durant: I Didn't Plan On Coming To Warriors For Just A Year

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Kevin Durant: I Didn't Plan On Coming To Warriors For Just A Year 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:50 pm

The Golden State Warriors will contend with the free agencies of both Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry this offseason.

“I have no angst whatsoever (about re-signing Durant and Curry),” Joe Lacob said. “I totally am positive (that) I think those guys are going to sign. They’re both free agents. They have a right to do whatever they want. They’ve earned it, and I respect that. If they don’t sign with us for some reason, then shame on me and us. I take responsibility for that. But I don’t see that happening.”

Durant attended the Warriors' groundbreaking this week for the Chase Center and was asked about his future in a public forum. Durant was asked again about his future by the USA Today.

“I’m liking it here,” Durant said. “I’m liking everything that’s going on. I know what my contract says, but I didn’t plan on coming here for just a year. I’m in it right now, and I’m also just focusing on day by day.

“I know it’s cliché, and you hear that all the time, but I’m seriously just not thinking about it because I’m like – I’m just in it for the long haul.”

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Kevin Durant: I Didn't Plan On Coming To Warriors For Just A Year 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Durant is going to do what lebron did with the cavs - sign 2 one year deals in 2016 and 2017 (the contracts are actually 2 years each with opt outs) before signing a multi year deal in 2018 (up to 4 years) with his early bird rights (limited to 4 years with the higher raises or he can do a third 2 year contract with opt out and have full bird rights in 2019 to do a full 5 year max deal). KD will likely sign the 4 year max deal in 2018 because the salary cap is expected to fall in 2019 when the new tv deal's larger upfront payments have been fully paid out. Durant will really only have to take a small discount next season in comparison to what he can potentially make on the open market because of the lack of any bird rights but he will regain the lost earnings with a larger max deal and max raises with his third warriors contract.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,492

Post#3 » by baldur » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:08 am

Curry, Thompson and green all deserve huge salaries obviously. But they can form an unforgettable dynasty if they want to agree to be paid within cap space. They can always find veteran players who are thirsty for titles.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#4 » by old rem » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:44 am

Sam195 wrote:Durant is going to do what lebron did with the cavs - sign 2 one year deals in 2016 and 2017 (the contracts are actually 2 years each with opt outs) before signing a multi year deal in 2018 (up to 4 years) with his early bird rights (limited to 4 years with the higher raises or he can do a third 2 year contract with opt out and have full bird rights in 2019 to do a full 5 year max deal). KD will likely sign the 4 year max deal in 2018 because the salary cap is expected to fall in 2019 when the new tv deal's larger upfront payments have been fully paid out. Durant will really only have to take a small discount next season in comparison to what he can potentially make on the open market because of the lack of any bird rights but he will regain the lost earnings with a larger max deal and max raises with his third warriors contract.
Durant (and Curry) have expressed an intent to remain with GSW. Both will be paid a LOT. durant will have a few oprions. He LIKELY tries to get $ but in a way best for the team. GSW won't be spending big on FA's besides KD (other MAJOR GSW guys have BIRD Rights). ALL of Zaza,McGee,D West are FA with no Bird rights. How and when Durant's deal gets done CAN (or not) let GSW pay one of those big guys. They'd prefer to NOT do Centers on 1 yr and Min deals. When you WIN a lot.. you can do things.
CENSORED... No comment.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#5 » by Donnyxc » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:17 pm

They could sign their big 4 to huge contracts and just hire a bunch of David West's at the Vet minimum and still be a pretty good team.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
DoubleO8
Rookie
And1: 308

Post#6 » by DoubleO8 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Meanwhile Presti is at Walmart reing up on Kleenex

Return to Wiretap Discussion