Celtics, Clippers Have 'Intermittently' Held Blake Griffin Talks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Celtics, Clippers Have 'Intermittently' Held Blake Griffin Talks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:13 am

The Los Angeles Clippers have intermittently discussed a Blake Griffin trade with the Boston Celtics this season though a deal is unlikely at this point.

Griffin will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason. The Celtics would likely seek official permission to talk to Griffin about his future before executing a trade.

The Clippers would seek Jae Crowder, either Avery Bradley or Marcus Smart and multiple picks in exchange for Griffin.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Re: Celtics, Clippers Have 'Intermittently' Held Blake Griffin Talks 

Post#2 » by Case2012 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:55 am

Blazers could offer 3 firsts and Allen Crabbe, Aminu, plus anyone not named CJ or Damian. No way they do that but that would be awesome. Also the odds of him staying would be zero probably.
Instagram: @casetwelve
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#3 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:45 am

Fire Doc Rivers!
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#4 » by 12footrim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:39 pm

I see Blake as a declining player. He'll be 28 years old in a week, he's hurt often, he still relent on his athleticism in a big way that's going away every day and he's undersized and can't streach the floor. Honestly I don't think he ages that well and do you really want to sign him to a 200 million or whatever contract the next 5 years?

I think that's a legit issue. Even though they seem to play as well without him already the bad thing is Paul might not resign if they don't invest in bringing him back. I could see the right move in a vacuum being to move on while the value is there and try to get a nets pick and Crowder. Generally I'm not a draft chaser because it's a gamble but I wouldn't want to invest in this particular 28 year old less than most.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
It Is I Folks
Junior
And1: 46

Post#5 » by It Is I Folks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:16 pm

If somehow the Rockets can get Blake Griffin....
Maybe Montrelz Harrell and Sam Dekker along with a couple first rounders ?

Acapela
Griffin
Ariza
Gordon
MVP
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#6 » by luss54321 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:38 pm

It Is I Folks wrote:If somehow the Rockets can get Blake Griffin....

Acapela
Griffin
Ariza
Gordon
MVP

That would be the worst trade in the history of the NBA. I hope you were joking.
Hullajelolt
Junior
And1: 512

Post#7 » by Hullajelolt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:54 pm

12footrim wrote:I see Blake as a declining player. He'll be 28 years old in a week, he's hurt often, he still relent on his athleticism in a big way that's going away every day and he's undersized and can't streach the floor. Honestly I don't think he ages that well and do you really want to sign him to a 200 million or whatever contract the next 5 years?

I think that's a legit issue. Even though they seem to play as well without him already the bad thing is Paul might not resign if they don't invest in bringing him back. I could see the right move in a vacuum being to move on while the value is there and try to get a nets pick and Crowder. Generally I'm not a draft chaser because it's a gamble but I wouldn't want to invest in this particular 28 year old less than most.

You haven't seen much Clippers nowadays, right? Griffin is no longer relying on athleticism, he's a solid midrange shooter, and also hits the three nowadays. Also one of the best passing big men in the league. You're right, he has healthy issues, and yes he's declining athletically, but your statement, that his complete package is in decline is simply not true.
It Is I Folks
Junior
And1: 46

Post#8 » by It Is I Folks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:57 pm

luss54321 wrote:
It Is I Folks wrote:If somehow the Rockets can get Blake Griffin....

Acapela
Griffin
Ariza
Gordon
MVP

That would be the worst trade in the history of the NBA. I hope you were joking.

Harrell and Dekker are legit players. To go with 2 first rounders? Seems like a fair deal.

And no, one of the worst deals in history in recent memory belongs to Sam Presti.....and Divac may have just been added to that list
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#9 » by 12footrim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Hullajelolt wrote:
12footrim wrote:I see Blake as a declining player. He'll be 28 years old in a week, he's hurt often, he still relent on his athleticism in a big way that's going away every day and he's undersized and can't streach the floor. Honestly I don't think he ages that well and do you really want to sign him to a 200 million or whatever contract the next 5 years?

You haven't seen much Clippers nowadays, right? Griffin is no longer relying on athleticism, he's a solid midrange shooter, and also hits the three nowadays. Also one of the best passing big men in the league. You're right, he has healthy issues, and yes he's declining athletically, but your statement, that his complete package is in decline is simply not true.

He's made 11 three's all year and shoots 30% and is a 27% career shooter on low volume. Basically he only shoots wide open ones mostly and still isn't hitting them. Players that rely on mid range shots will never be efficient. Even the best are under 50% on high volume. Taking a bunch of long 2's even if you are good at it as you offense foundation is not a good thing.

Look at just his 2 point percentage alone. It has declined every season since his 2nd in the league. His rebounding has fallen off massively as well over the years. Basically look at what he was 5 years ago and project out the next five years. All his athleticism markers have significantly declined and will only decline more the next 5.

He's becoming kind of like a poorer defensive version of Al Horford who can't shoot three's and you will have to pay more. He's a good player but not one I would want to be on the hook for 40 million for in 3-5 years. When you can't shoot three's, rebound, and aren't big enough to play full time center and are a PF that's a huge issue as you age. You can't make that all up a passing as a PF.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Hullajelolt
Junior
And1: 512

Post#10 » by Hullajelolt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:57 pm

12footrim wrote:
Hullajelolt wrote:

He's made 11 three's all year and shoots 30% and is a 27% career shooter on low volume. Basically he only shoots wide open ones mostly and still isn't hitting them. Players that rely on mid range shots will never be efficient. Even the best are under 50% on high volume. Taking a bunch of long 2's even if you are good at it as you offense foundation is not a good thing.

Look at just his 2 point percentage alone. It has declined every season since his 2nd in the league. His rebounding has fallen off massively as well over the years. Basically look at what he was 5 years ago and project out the next five years. All his athleticism markers have significantly declined and will only decline more the next 5.

He's becoming kind of like a poorer defensive version of Al Horford who can't shoot three's and you will have to pay more. He's a good player but not one I would want to be on the hook for 40 million for in 3-5 years. When you can't shoot three's, rebound, and aren't big enough to play full time center and are a PF that's a huge issue as you age. You can't make that all up a passing as a PF.

That is what you see if you only look at the numbers. Griffin shoots much more mid range jumpers than in his second year, which is of course a less effective shot percentage-wise than a dunk under the basket. Still, if you are an athletic freak, you've got think about the years, when you are no longer the high-flyer you was, and start developing a shot. That is what Blake has done over the years, stepping away from the basket. He just started to take, and make 3's since his return from injury, if he takes them with regularity, I think he can easily reach at least the league average with his work ethic. Rebounding is also something that comes up against him often, but his dip in numbers occured simultaneously with DJ's rise to dominance on boards and the fact that the Clippers aren't pursuing offensive rebounds. He's still averaging around 9 a game, which is good for your teams secondary rebounder. He's not a full time center but that has nothing to do with his development/decline, if he can get rid of his recent injury issues he's still in his prime for years.

Return to Wiretap Discussion