Dirk Nowitzki Intends To Play Next Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dirk Nowitzki Intends To Play Next Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Mar 3, 2017 9:00 pm

Dirk Nowitzki intends to play next season at the age of 39.

"I think so ... unless something drastic changes here in the next few weeks or the last few weeks of the season, which I don't anticipate.

"I said last summer: I signed a two-year deal [and] that obviously meant I want to play for two more," Nowitzki continued. "I want to complete that deal.‎"

Playing in 2017-18 would give Nowitzki an even 20 seasons in the league with the Mavericks, which would tie Bryant's record run with ‎one franchise.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Re: Dirk Nowitzki Intends To Play Next Season 

Post#2 » by DarthDiggler69 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 9:24 pm

wow the guy is a corpse on defense, well keep making that money
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 9:40 pm

The Mavs should renounce him and then sign him to the mid level exemption so they can use all their cap space on a starting PG and PF.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,723

Post#4 » by 76thBearCub » Fri Mar 3, 2017 10:43 pm

I'm pretty sure I have read a similar wiretap each year for the last 3-4 years.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#5 » by IAMZOOTED » Sat Mar 4, 2017 1:43 am

Bentley1225 wrote:The Mavs should renounce him and then sign him to the mid level exemption so they can use all their cap space on a starting PG and PF.

They're going to opt out of the deal and try and get some help, but they also tried doing that last season and only got Harrison Barnes.
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#6 » by Simmons25 » Sat Mar 4, 2017 3:48 am

Nowitzki really is holding back Dallas from making the playoffs. I was sure he would retire this year.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by IAMZOOTED » Sat Mar 4, 2017 5:12 am

Simmons25 wrote:Nowitzki really is holding back Dallas from making the playoffs. I was sure he would retire this year.

Eh I really don't think they'd be a playoff team without dirk. Who is their best player? Harrison Barnes?
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#8 » by Simmons25 » Sat Mar 4, 2017 6:19 am

IAMZOOTED wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:Nowitzki really is holding back Dallas from making the playoffs. I was sure he would retire this year.

Eh I really don't think they'd be a playoff team without dirk. Who is their best player? Harrison Barnes?

They were easily a playoff team before the season started. Bogut left because Nowitzki couldn't be on the floor at the same time. They have the talent on the roster to make the playoffs but Nowitski is a black hole on defense and on offense he is still taking a lot of shots and not letting others grow.

He just needs to move on... it's selfish now.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by IAMZOOTED » Sat Mar 4, 2017 8:28 am

Simmons25 wrote:
IAMZOOTED wrote:

They were easily a playoff team before the season started. Bogut left because Nowitzki couldn't be on the floor at the same time. They have the talent on the roster to make the playoffs but Nowitski is a black hole on defense and on offense he is still taking a lot of shots and not letting others grow.

Dude, he led the mavs to the playoffs last season. You saying he's selfish for not retiring after one bad season is beyond ridiculous.

BernteB
Senior
And1: 905

Post#10 » by BernteB » Sat Mar 4, 2017 9:18 am

Simmons25 wrote:
IAMZOOTED wrote:

trollololo?
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#11 » by Hoopzilla » Sat Mar 4, 2017 6:09 pm

76thBearCub wrote:I'm pretty sure I have read a similar wiretap each year for the last 3-4 years.

Exactly. I see this as just another Cuban tactic to use Dirk to try and lure a player or two in free agency to come to the team. Unfortunately Dirk just isn't as enticing as he used to be.

The Mavs are overachieving with talent pulled from almost thin air, at this point they need any positive press they can get.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,825

Post#12 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Sat Mar 4, 2017 8:20 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
IAMZOOTED wrote:

When you're the franchise player for 19 years, gave all you got for the franchise for 19 years, and brought the lone championship as the franchise star... yeah you can be selfish all you want. Get out of here with this crap.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#13 » by 12footrim » Sat Mar 4, 2017 9:04 pm

DarthDiggler69 wrote:wow the guy is a corpse on defense, well keep making that money

Dirk's fine. If he stays healthy he could probably be an effective NBA player another 5 years with his height and shooting ability and he's been an iron man most of his career.

His defensive RPM is actually higher than his offense this year and is in the positive. I guess much of that is from playing center more. He's also rebounding, stealing and blocking shots at rates about as good as he ever has. The only thing he has really dropped in is shooting and I think that's a fluke.

He could come out and shoot great next year and it shouldn't shock anyone. Ray Allen and other great shooters had shooting ebs and flows late in his career too and weren't 7 feet and as able to get dependable clean looks as Dirk. That height and shooting is what typically ages best and I think people would be foolish to write him off after one injury year when all the other tenets of his game are as solid as they have been.

People wrote him off after an injury season a few seasons ago and he came right back and was as good as about ever.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#14 » by 12footrim » Sat Mar 4, 2017 9:30 pm

IAMZOOTED wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
IAMZOOTED wrote:

Dude, he led the mavs to the playoffs last season. You saying he's selfish for not retiring after one bad season is beyond ridiculous.

Dirk per 100 possessions

MVP year: 13.2 rebs, 5.0 assist, 1.0 steals, 1.2 blocks, 3.3 turnovers

Champ year: 10.8 rebs, 4.0 assist, 0.8 steals, 1.0 blocks, 3.6 turnovers

this year: 12.9 rebs, 3.1 assist, 1.4 steals, 1.4 blocks, 1.9 turnovers

The rate he is rebounding this year is just about at his career high of 13.5 and better than most years.

The only part of his game that isn't working right now is his shooting and that's the very thing I wouldn't bet against him repeating.
These guys should worry about guys who fall off cliffs rebounding, blocking shots etc more than shooting. By it's nature slumps are common and aren't damning to your career. You see guys have an off shooting year and follow it up with great ones all the time no matter age. Even the greatest shooter ever is slumping this year. Everything else is actually very strong and the defensive metrics are even positive.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion