David Fizdale Calls Game 2 Referees 'Unacceptable, Unprofessional'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

David Fizdale Calls Game 2 Referees 'Unacceptable, Unprofessional' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:38 pm

David Fizdale was critical of the Game 2 referees after the Memphis Grizzlies were unable to complete a 19-point comeback in the second half.

"It's unfortunate that I've got a guy like [point guard] Mike Conley that in his whole career has got zero technical fouls and just cannot seem to get the proper respect from the officials that he deserves," Fizdale said. "It was a very poorly officiated basketball game."

Kawhi Leonard attempted more free throws than the entire Memphis squad (13-of-15). San Antonio as a team connected on 31 of 32 from the free throw line.

"Zach Randolph, the most rugged guy in the game, had zero free throws," Fizdale said as he stared down at the box score from Monday's game. "But somehow, Kawhi Leonard had 19 free throws. First half, we shot 19 shots in the paint, and we had six free throws. They shot 11 times in the paint, and they had 23 free throws. I'm not a numbers guy, but that doesn't seem to add up. Overall, 35 times we shot the ball in the paint. We had 15 free throws for the game. They shot 18 times in the paint and had 32 free throws. Kawhi shot more free throws than our whole team. Explain it to me."

The Grizzlies were called for 22 fouls compared to 13 for the Spurs.

"We don't get the respect that these guys deserve because Mike Conley doesn't go crazy. He has class, and he just plays the game," Fizdale said. "But I'm not gonna let them treat us that way. I know Pop's got pedigree, and I'm a young rookie. But they're not gonna rook us. That's unacceptable. That was unprofessional. Our guys dug in that game and earned the right to be in that game. And they did not even give us a chance."

As Fizdale finished his thought, he slammed a pen to the table and stood up.

"Take that for data," he said.

Via Michael C. Wright/ESPN

bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Re: David Fizdale Calls Game 2 Referees 'Unacceptable, Unprofessional' 

Post#2 » by bobobolas10 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Well done Fiz. Now expect to be suspended for the entire series. Marc and Mike too to make it easier for em :banghead:
"Take that for Data!"
Freefloater
Sixth Man
And1: 892

Post#3 » by Freefloater » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:38 pm

WELL DONE! Now prepare to pay a decent fine
Fact is that momentum in games is a real thing, while not tangible itself, you can tangibly see the effect it has when teams are on runs and how it can dramatically effect the outcome of games when you can generate any momentum.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#4 » by Barcs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Is it me or does Fizdale always look super pissed?
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
SVG
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#5 » by SVG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Silver: Criticize the refs?! Send him the the slammer and fine him a seasons pay!
I'm Scrappt like super CONTRA!

Statistical data is difficult to argue with...unless you have an agenda.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#6 » by Barcs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Just because fouls are lopsided between the 2 teams, doesn't mean the officiating was bad. There is no rule that states that free throw attempts should be even. Maybe your team just commits more fouls.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#7 » by Killboard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:50 pm

I didnt watch the game, so Im not with or against Fizdale. What Im gonna say is Memphis is the most physical team in the whole league. You can also read it like: if you foul every play they will eventually stop calling it.
If their physical game is allowed or not isnt a problem, but the problem is being consistent from a play to another in first term, and from a group of refs to another in second term.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,167

Post#8 » by AdagioPace » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Killboard wrote:I didnt watch the game, so Im not with or against Fizdale. What Im gonna say is Memphis is the most physical team in the whole league. You can also read it like: if you foul every play they will eventually stop calling it.
If their physical game is allowed or not isnt a problem, but the problem is being consistent from a play to another in first term, and from a group of refs to another in second term.

Grizzlies are a physical team but they are also slow and old. Spurs on the other hand are the best defense in the league and don't commit stupid fouls.

Those are all deterrents for calls
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#9 » by A BETTER DJ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Not a dedicated fan of either team but I watched most of the game and he is right! There were a lot more uncalled fouls by the Spurs. Go figure? Maybe the networks want a Spurs-Warriors series?
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#10 » by hyberx » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:50 pm

As a Warriors fan who has always seem his team play against the refs, I am with Fizdale. Dude knows he would get fined big time but as a coach this is a great move for your team. You expect the Grizz to fight like hell in game 3.

As one of the most physical team with big time inside presense like Randolf and Gasol, adding the fact that they took so many more shots inside, this free throw disprepancy is ridiculous. It would be interesting to see the league report on the officiating of this game, which they prepare but dont share with public other than last 2 minutes
Son of Ra
Rookie
And1: 1,013

Post#11 » by Son of Ra » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:06 pm

hyberx wrote:As a Warriors fan who has always seem his team play against the refs , I am with Fizdale. Dude knows he would get fined big time but as a coach this is a great move for your team. You expect the Grizz to fight like hell in game 3.

As one of the most physical team with big time inside presense like Randolf and Gasol, adding the fact that they took so many more shots inside, this free throw disprepancy is ridiculous. It would be interesting to see the league report on the officiating of this game, which they prepare but dont share with public other than last 2 minutes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,069

Post#12 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:59 pm

hyberx wrote:As a Warriors fan who has always seem his team play against the refs, I am with Fizdale. Dude knows he would get fined big time but as a coach this is a great move for your team. You expect the Grizz to fight like hell in game 3.

The refs are against you? Have you not seen Draymond get away with a lot of techs and illegal screens which opens everyone up?
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#13 » by hyberx » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
hyberx wrote:As a Warriors fan who has always seem his team play against the refs, I am with Fizdale. Dude knows he would get fined big time but as a coach this is a great move for your team. You expect the Grizz to fight like hell in game 3.

The refs are against you? Have you not seen Draymond get away with a lot of techs and illegal screens which opens everyone up?

Have you not seen a team like the rockets shoot double the among of FTs while grabbing and pulling on Curry and Klay off ball all game long?

Its funny you point to one guy who is the top defender, while statistically Warriors shot way less FTs while having the most movement, high points in the paint, and off ball fouls not called for the last 2,3 seasons.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#14 » by luss54321 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:52 am

The Warriors play against the refs? Hahahahahaha

Just because the GS players whine and complain after every play doesn't mean their fans need to do the same.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#15 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:13 am

hyberx wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:

Have you not seen a team like the rockets shoot double the among of FTs while grabbing and pulling on Curry and Klay off ball all game long?

Its funny you point to one guy who is the top defender, while statistically Warriors shot way less FTs while having the most movement, high points in the paint, and off ball fouls not called for the last 2,3 seasons.

You can't be serious? The Warriors are probably one of the most favored teams in the league with the refs lets be honest. Harden gets more free throws than the Warriors because hes constantly driving. The rockets are shoot a 3 or hit the rim. The Warriors are a jump shooting team.

The warriors averaged only 4 less ft per game than the Rockets all season (surprising as it should be more) and had 2 more free throws in Sundays games. I was disgusted watching the Warriors/Blazers game, as it got late into the game the warriors got so many undeserved foul calls to extend the lead it made me sick.
Dolphin Lips
Pro Prospect
And1: 48

Post#16 » by Dolphin Lips » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:44 am

Spurs > Grizzlies
STOP STEALING MY AVATARS

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#17 » by IWishIWasHarden » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:58 pm

"Kawhi Leonard attempted more free throws than the entire Memphis squad (13-of-15). San Antonio as a team connected on 31 of 32 from the free throw line."

How does Leonard miss 1 more than his entire team? Explain that to me <Fizdale voice>.

Return to Wiretap Discussion