Cavs Ignoring Orlando's Request To Interview David Griffin

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Cavs Ignoring Orlando's Request To Interview David Griffin 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Dan Gilbert has been unresponsive to requests from the Orlando Magic to interview David Griffin.

Griffin's contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers expires at the end of June.

Gilbert could be hoping that the Magic get tired of waiting for Griffin.

Cleveland has yet to make a substantive offer to Griffin on an extension.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/The Vertical

dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Re: Cavs Ignoring Orlando's Request To Interview David Griffin 

Post#2 » by dan-man » Tue May 16, 2017 4:53 pm

winning the title is the "cure all" fix. but we all know that that aint happening so we shall see.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,031

Post#3 » by mg » Tue May 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Cavs need to be solely focused on winning a championship and not other distractions. I'm sure Gilbert and LeBron are both difficult to work for but I can't blame them in this case.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#4 » by Case2012 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:37 pm

LeBrons the real gm anyways.
Instagram: @casetwelve
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#5 » by Revived » Tue May 16, 2017 6:57 pm

mg wrote:Cavs need to be solely focused on winning a championship and not other distractions. I'm sure Gilbert and LeBron are both difficult to work for but I can't blame them in this case.

Dan Gilbert isn't out there playing or coaching. He can easily be negotiating with Griffin right now since neither Griffin nor Gilbert are doing anything right now besides just watching.

I'm sure the players and coaches focus on winning a championship won't be taken away with Gilbert and Griffin negotiating an extension.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,031

Post#6 » by mg » Tue May 16, 2017 7:30 pm

Revived wrote:
mg wrote:Cavs need to be solely focused on winning a championship and not other distractions. I'm sure Gilbert and LeBron are both difficult to work for but I can't blame them in this case.

Dan Gilbert isn't out there playing or coaching. He can easily be negotiating with Griffin right now since neither Griffin nor Gilbert are doing anything right now besides just watching.

I'm sure the players and coaches focus on winning a championship won't be taken away with Gilbert and Griffin negotiating an extension.

Naw I wasn't referring to that. Maybe Gilbert is fine with promoting another GM from within. I just meant that the Cavs probably don't want the distraction of Griffin negotiating with another team during the playoffs.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#7 » by likashing » Tue May 16, 2017 8:38 pm

<deleted double post>
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#8 » by likashing » Tue May 16, 2017 8:39 pm

This is the first time I have heard of teams not granting interview requests despite having long down time.

Classy.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#9 » by castor777 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:17 pm

likashing wrote:This is the first time I have heard of teams not granting interview requests despite having long down time.

Classy.

It's the first time I hear a team seeking an interview while the other team is still in contention for a championship as well. Seems pretty shady and a distraction to me, I agree with Gilbert not returning the calls.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#10 » by likashing » Wed May 17, 2017 4:35 pm

castor777 wrote:
likashing wrote:This is the first time I have heard of teams not granting interview requests despite having long down time.

Classy.

It's the first time I hear a team seeking an interview while the other team is still in contention for a championship as well. Seems pretty shady and a distraction to me, I agree with Gilbert not returning the calls.

Get your facts straight.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15416481/golden-state-warriors-grant-lakers-permission-interview-luke-walton

Most recently, Luke Walton interviewed with the Lakers when the Warriors are in the playoffs.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/new-orleans-pelicans-interviewing-alvin-gentry-warriors-assistant-for-head-coach-job-051815

Gentry also interviewed with the Pelicans during the playoffs.

Open your eyes, and there are many more incidents like this.

The Cavs were waiting for the Celtics and Wizards to finish, and Griffin isn't even a coach who needs to work with the players day to day.

Sure the Cavs have the right to do this, but it just shows how lack of class Gilbert is.
EnriCela13
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#11 » by EnriCela13 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 pm

likashing wrote:
castor777 wrote:

Classy.

Get your facts straight.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15416481/golden-state-warriors-grant-lakers-permission-interview-luke-walton

Most recently, Luke Walton interviewed with the Lakers when the Warriors are in the playoffs.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/new-orleans-pelicans-interviewing-alvin-gentry-warriors-assistant-for-head-coach-job-051815

The Cavs were waiting for the Celtics and Wizards to finish, and Griffin isn't even a coach who needs to work with the players day to day.

Sure the Cavs have the right to do this, but it just shows how lack of class Gilbert is.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Those scenarios you named were assistant coaches being interviewed for head coaching jobs. Teams actually like when that happens with their assistant coaches because it gives them a good reputation and leads to quality coaches agreeing to be assistant coaches on that team the following year. Here, we have a situation where one team wants to hire the GM from another team for the same job. It would be like if the Pelicans contacted the warriors asking if they could interview Steve Kerr for the job during the playoffs. That's not lack of class, that's simply Dan Gilbert having no incentive to give up his GM while he has other things to worry about, like making a run for the title. Also, he's probably scared of getting on
LeBrons nerves so he'd rather just be silent than risk making the wrong move.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#12 » by likashing » Thu May 18, 2017 12:10 am

EnriCela13 wrote:
likashing wrote:
castor777 wrote:It's the first time I hear a team seeking an interview while the other team is still in contention for a championship as well. Seems pretty shady and a distraction to me, I agree with Gilbert not returning the calls.

Get your facts straight.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Those scenarios you named were assistant coaches being interviewed for head coaching jobs. Teams actually like when that happens with their assistant coaches because it gives them a good reputation and leads to quality coaches agreeing to be assistant coaches on that team the following year. Here, we have a situation where one team wants to hire the GM from another team for the same job. It would be like if the Pelicans contacted the warriors asking if they could interview Steve Kerr for the job during the playoffs. That's not lack of class, that's simply Dan Gilbert having no incentive to give up his GM while he has other things to worry about, like making a run for the title. Also, he's probably scared of getting on

You don't know what you are talking about.

Everyone knows David Griffin's contract is ending after the Cavs' final game. The Cavs have not extended him. Basically he is unemployed after his Cavs contract ends, and yet, Gilbert does not allow him to interview with other teams.

It is obviously a tactic by Gilbert to lower Griffin's market value, or wish Magic will hire someone else (so there is 1 fewer team in the market for a GM, thus he can low ball Griffin)

Griffin will be unemployed in a few weeks. He is not on the coaching staff. The Cavs are free for a week. Why else he doesn't let Griffin talk to others?

It is an obvious low class act by Gilbert. You are simply in denial. Believe the Earth flat if you wish.
EnriCela13
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#13 » by EnriCela13 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:46 am

likashing wrote:
EnriCela13 wrote:
likashing wrote:
Get your facts straight.

You don't know what you are talking about.

Everyone knows David Griffin's contract is ending after the Cavs' final game. The Cavs have not extended him. Basically he is unemployed after his Cavs contract ends, and yet, Gilbert does not allow him to interview with other teams.

It is obviously a tactic by Gilbert to lower Griffin's market value, or wish Magic will hire someone else (so there is 1 fewer team in the market for a GM, thus he can low ball Griffin)

Griffin will be unemployed in a few weeks. He is not on the coaching staff. The Cavs are free for a week. Why else he doesn't let Griffin talk to others?

It is an obvious low class act by Gilbert. You are simply in denial. Believe the Earth flat if you wish.

Woah dude, youre clearly implying I'm a Cavs fan lmao. I'm a die hard Knicks fan (embarrassing to admit to these days). Look, LeBron likes Grif. Gilbert wants LeBron to be happy. If he gives another team permission to interview him it will be the same as saying we aren't RE-signing him, and it would potentially be a distraction. I'm sure Gilbert is planning to resign him this summer; right now isn't really the time for that negotiation because every person working for the Cleveland cavs organization should be solely focused on these games, whether they're playing in them or coaching in them or not. If Gilbert doesn't RE-sign him this summer then I'll come back to this thread and admit I was wrong, bcus that would definitely just mean he's being his usual scrub self right now, but I think he is going to get a new contract with the Cavs. And my point about this being a gm and not an assistant coach is totally valid. It's a different dynamic.

Return to Wiretap Discussion