Chauncey Billups Withdraws From Consideration For Cavs' Job

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Chauncey Billups Withdraws From Consideration For Cavs' Job 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 3, 2017 3:50 pm

Chauncey Billups has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Cleveland Cavaliers' president of basketball operations job.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Re: Chauncey Billups Withdraws From Consideration For Cavs' Job 

Post#2 » by Hoopzilla » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:07 pm

I take this as confirmation that Lebron will be gone after next season.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#3 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:31 pm

He probably didn't want to be the man in charge while/ if LBJ bolts after his current deal. That would have been a real challenge for him.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#4 » by 12footrim » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:36 pm

Good luck getting another GM offer. I'm sure other teams will be beating his door down.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#5 » by 12footrim » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:41 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:He probably didn't want to be the man in charge while/ if LBJ bolts after his current deal. That would have been a real challenge for him.

Yeah, I mean who would want GM job where the owner is breaking the bank with all those resources.

I would think there is some talented GM out there that could make some smart moves and make the case to Lebron to stay.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#6 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:43 pm

Don't these two statements seem to be in opposition to one another?

he's had reservations about uprooting his family from Denver for the job.

and

Billups has a strong desire to run an NBA team and has been preparing for the opportunity for several years in continuing to study players and the collective bargaining agreement.

Look, I get it - GM of the Cavs is likely a no-win job right now. With LeBron there you have to run *everything* by him for fear of pissing him off. On the other hand, if he decides to leave next year, you're hopelessly screwed.

Maybe the best thing would be to take the Cavs job, and immediately trade LBJ for a fistful of young talent and picks. I'd love to see the reactions if someone came in and did that!
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#7 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:46 pm

He's waiting for a Denver offer.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Raptorstopfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#8 » by Raptorstopfan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 5:29 pm

I met Chauncey at a 24hr Fitness gym 3yrs ago. Parked his Mercedes SL600, quietly walked in. He used the treadmill, elliptical, bike machines like everyone else. Only 2 or 3 people knew whom he was. I did great him when he pulled in...we parked next to each other.

I have lived all over US and Canada. If I had to pick 5 cities to live and raise a family, would be Denver, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake city, Calgary, Edmonton and Minneapolis/ St. Paul. These are beautiful clean cities, low crime, gorgeous and with sane people. The US cities mentioned have Canadian flavor to them, and I regularly meet Canadians there. Personally, there is no major difference between Calgary and Denver...both cuties look alike in every dimension. Likewise, Edmonton and Minneapolis/ St, Paul. Denver is growing beyond its limit with recent horrible traffic, I'll be more predisposed to Salt Lake city and Colorado Springs.

I see why Chauncey will be reluctant to uproot his family from there despite having a longer and successful career in Detroit. Apparently they preferred Colorado.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#9 » by luss54321 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:11 pm

Translation: He doesn't wanna live in Cleveland.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:51 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:I take this as confirmation that Lebron will be gone after next season.

I can't imagine that Billups has any idea what Lebron will do next summer. I don't think Lebron knows; a lot could happen between now and then.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#11 » by jason bourne » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:06 pm

Billups was smart in passing up the Cavs job because it would've been a pressure cooker for doing an impossible job. He has no front office experience and yet would have been expected to find an experienced GM to win a championship, re-sign LeBron, keep the core together and manage the cap. The job could entail seeing to it the team got another major contributor to the team since they had to be near perfect to beat the Warriors in the Finals. The big problem for the Cavs now seems to be that LeBron will leave after next season. I'm not sure how he could get him to re-sign without winning a championship. There were rumors of Paul George coming to the team by trading Kyrie, but only if LeBron committed to staying. That didn't happen.

Mainly, I have no idea why the Cavs didn't re-sign David Griffin when LeBron still has one year left. They were successful in making the Finals for the past three years. It sounded like owner Dan Gilbert wanted more input on the team, but Griffin didn't run things by him all the time. It probably was over some of the higher money contracts he doled out such as Tristan Thompson and JR Smith. Or maybe he thought he was too chummy with LeBron and his agent and he thought they were running the team.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Pukovnik
Senior
And1: 168

Post#12 » by Pukovnik » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:19 pm

luss54321 wrote:Translation: He doesn't wanna live in Cleveland.

That seems about right. His wife probably told him: "Hey, no chance in hell I'm living in Cleveland!"
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,801

Post#13 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:52 pm

Polite way of saying I'm not interested in working for Dan Gilbert imo.
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#14 » by JCruz6 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 11:14 pm

The article's photo would be perfect if it had Chauncey's thumb down :lol:
Same facial expression
shizzle
Junior
And1: 3

Post#15 » by shizzle » Mon Jul 3, 2017 11:33 pm

Raptorstopfan wrote:I met Chauncey at a 24hr Fitness gym 3yrs ago. Parked his Mercedes SL600, quietly walked in. He used the treadmill, elliptical, bike machines like everyone else. Only 2 or 3 people knew whom he was. I did great him when he pulled in...we parked next to each other.

I have lived all over US and Canada. If I had to pick 5 cities to live and raise a family, would be Denver, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake city, Calgary, Edmonton and Minneapolis/ St. Paul. These are beautiful clean cities, low crime, gorgeous and with sane people. The US cities mentioned have Canadian flavor to them, and I regularly meet Canadians there. Personally, there is no major difference between Calgary and Denver...both cuties look alike in every dimension. Likewise, Edmonton and Minneapolis/ St, Paul. Denver is growing beyond its limit with recent horrible traffic, I'll be more predisposed to Salt Lake city and Colorado Springs.

I see why Chauncey will be reluctant to uproot his family from there despite having a longer and successful career in Detroit. Apparently they preferred Colorado.

I believed your argument instead you mentioned Edmonton as a place equal to the others. I've been to all of these cities many time and lived in two of them. Edmonton is the armpit of the world and is only a great place if you're white or in the witness protection program.
before there was hiphop, bling bling or Nike there was basketball...long live hoops.
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,767

Post#16 » by Adam Stern » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:43 am

This is a bad look for Cleveland with so many other questions surrounding the team.
Evolution999
Junior
And1: 93

Post#17 » by Evolution999 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 9:03 am

Billups was also quoted 'im focused in being coach/player in the big 3'

Return to Wiretap Discussion