Knicks Never Even Offered Minimum Deal To Derrick Rose

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Knicks Never Even Offered Minimum Deal To Derrick Rose 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:36 pm

The New York Knicks never offered Derrick Rose even a contract at the veteran's minimum.

Rose signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers on a one-year, $2.1 million deal. Rose spent one season with the Knicks.

The Knicks drafted Frank Ntilikina in June as their point guard of the future.

“Did we miss something?,” Rose’s agent B.J. Armstrong asked The Post. “Is there something going [on] in New York we didn’t see? We all would agree they are on a different timeline than Derrick — a young team with great young talent there and trying to build something for the future. They’re not on the same timeline as players who are a little older and experienced.

“It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out Derrick’s best basketball is right now. The Knicks aren’t ready to compete at that level right now. It could be three, four years.”

Rose is coming off his fourth surgery after playing 64 games with the Knicks.

Via Marc Berman/New York Post

Bobalob
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Re: Knicks Never Even Offered Minimum Deal To Derrick Rose 

Post#2 » by Bobalob » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:15 pm

Hopefully this motivates D rose. I do believe that at least SOME of his fall-off as a player is due to him just not givin a damn about basketbal after those injuries. Imagine how he feels watching guys he was flat out better than now in their prime flourishing smh
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#3 » by Hoopzilla » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Did you miss something... Yes the Pelicans game when he just disappeared. The young players cannot depend on him to be a role model and the team cannot depend on him to show up to games. Have fun with Lebron.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#4 » by br7knicks » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Best decision knicks have made so far
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Derrick's best basketball is right now? Really BJ? Is that why the best contract you secured was a one year deal at the minimum? Is that how that works?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#6 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:28 pm

NY making a smart basketball decision for a change
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#7 » by RememberLu » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:36 pm

How the mighty have fallen

he'll always have that MVP
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#8 » by Scalabrine » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Should have gone to the Pelicans.
Go Knicks!
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#9 » by JimmyJammer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:15 pm

What a disgrace! It's ok to be injured, but when you are surrounded by nutcases whose incomes depend on you, you are doomed to fail. Derrick was once a promising young player who allegedly was supposed to be humble, but as I look at his circle, it is obvious there is something wrong there. Do everyone a favor, Derrick, just retire like Brandon Roy had to do. You do want to be able to walk to your son's graduation, don't you?
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#10 » by dan-man » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:02 pm

The_Hater wrote:Derrick's best basketball is right now? Really BJ? Is that why the best contract you secured was a one year deal at the minimum? Is that how that works?

True or not, he's proven too fragile and risky for a big contract and it seems like the SUPER HIGH off season expectations may have scared off other potential medium sized contracts. Time to fire your agent Rose.
The_Hater

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:17 pm

dan-man wrote:
The_Hater wrote:Derrick's best basketball is right now? Really BJ? Is that why the best contract you secured was a one year deal at the minimum? Is that how that works?

True or not, he's proven too fragile and risky for a big contract and it seems like the SUPER HIGH off season expectations may have scared off other potential medium sized contracts. Time to fire your agent Rose.

I think it's partly that and partly that other teams recognize Rose as a player with tons of negative skills who yet still views himself as a superstar player that teams would build an offense around. Iverson and Marbury played themselves out of the league rather quickly with this same attitude once their abilities began to fade.

There's minimal risk for the Cavs, Rose either figures out that he's no longer that type of player and makes some major changes or the Cavs just release him..
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Camping Fan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#12 » by Camping Fan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:57 pm

The_Hater wrote:
dan-man wrote:

I think it's partly that and partly that other teams recognize Rose as a player with tons of negative skills who yet still views himself as a superstar player that teams would build an offense around. Iverson and Marbury played themselves out of the league rather quickly with this same attitude once their abilities began to fade.

There's minimal risk for the Cavs, Rose either figures out that he's no longer that type of player and makes some major changes or the Cavs just release him..

Personally - I think some one had too much to drink - Rose has had his best days with all of those surgeries. He is finished and past his peak which is a shame because if not for the surgeries - he would have been great. But his agent is trying to sell a product or service - so I think he will put the best spin possible
Lakers 2020
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#13 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:40 am

Uh... good.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#14 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:42 am

Nah, he meant he isn't going to get any better than he is right now. So being part of a rebuild didn't make sense.
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by dan-man » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:42 am

The_Hater wrote:
dan-man wrote:

Nobody can argue that the risk is minimal and value is great for Cavs. I thought that Rose had adjusted his expectations on being the centerpiece of a team but I think his Agent BJ was doing the standard leaking of overly ambitious contract expectations which showed us how that can shoot you in the foot. It'll be interesting to see where this season takes him. Either China or a 3 year 7 million dollar deal somewhere if he projects the right attitude. And then you see 40 something guys like Vince Carter nabbing 8 mil per season.
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by dan-man » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:44 am

Camping Fan wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
dan-man wrote:

Personally - I think some one had too much to drink - Rose has had his best days with all of those surgeries. He is finished and past his peak which is a shame because if not for the surgeries - he would have been great. But his agent is trying to sell a product or service - so I think he will put the best spin possible

Yup. And I think this is a text book case of what can happen to your client when you leak the ludicrous expectations.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#17 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Tue Aug 1, 2017 4:00 am

he's a back up now with shredded knees... he'll bounce around then flame out... dude is a footnote in nba history. wouldn't offer hima cup of coffee let alone a minimum contract.

bye bye d rose, find some idiot team that wants iso ball from their point all game.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#18 » by Hoopzilla » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:08 pm

dan-man wrote:
Camping Fan wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Yup. And I think this is a text book case of what can happen to your client when you leak the ludicrous expectations.

D Rose was full of ludicrous expectations publicly up until the middle of last season, I imagine BJ was working under the instructions of his client and that seems very likely based on D Rose's inflated sense of self and his worth.
The_Hater

Post#19 » by The_Hater » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:15 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:
dan-man wrote:
Camping Fan wrote:Personally - I think some one had too much to drink - Rose has had his best days with all of those surgeries. He is finished and past his peak which is a shame because if not for the surgeries - he would have been great. But his agent is trying to sell a product or service - so I think he will put the best spin possible

D Rose was full of ludicrous expectations publicly up until the middle of last season, I imagine BJ was working under the instructions of his client and that seems very likely based on D Rose's inflated sense of self and his worth.

For sure. It's not like it was BJ calling the Knicks a superteam last October.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Camping Fan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#20 » by Camping Fan » Thu Aug 3, 2017 4:07 am

The_Hater wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:
dan-man wrote:

For sure. It's not like it was BJ calling the Knicks a superteam last October.

Well at least they fired Phil Jackson - That was a strong step in the right direction. Hired Fisher to be head coach when Fisher never coached a single game and then fired him to make it look like Fisher was to blame. Resigned Carmello when everyone knows that he never liked Carmello and should have been going after draft picks. I'm sure some one else can find other things that I missed - what a disaster of a gm
Lakers 2020

Return to Wiretap Discussion