Ricky Rubio Feels Like It Was Time For Both Sides To Move On

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Ricky Rubio Feels Like It Was Time For Both Sides To Move On 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Aug 3, 2017 2:34 pm

Ricky Rubio spoke with the Utah Jazz media on Wednesday during a conference call from Spain.

The Jazz acquired Rubio from the Minnesota Timberwolves before the start of free agency.

“To get traded, it’s not fun, but I was really excited to go to an organization that really believed in me,” he said. “It’s a great basketball organization with a good tradition. It was a little weird. I was six years in Minnesota. My name was in the papers with rumors and all that stuff for the last couple years, but never traded. This summer, I guess it was time. I have no regrets. I had a great time in Minnesota, but I think it was time for the both of us to move on. I think it was that time of our relationship that it didn’t work out the way we wanted, and we move on.”

Dennis Lindsey said in early July that the Jazz’s new floor general compares favorably to Jason Kidd.

“Having the GM talk that good about me, it’s great,” he said. “The confidence that they showed in me from the beginning, it’s awesome, and now I have to answer that confidence with good games. I have confidence in me, and I’ve worked hard this summer. I think I can bring a lot to that team.”

Rubio is one of the NBA's best defensive point guards and will join an already excellent team on that side of the floor.

“I know what I can bring to the table,” Rubio said. “Of course my defense is a strength of mine. I’ve been working on my body this summer to be stronger and to be ready for this league that has so many good point guards and so many athletic point guards that every night you face top point guards and you have to be ready for that. I feel confident in my defense and I think I can really help the team to improve even more.”

Via Ryan McDonald/Deseret News

Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Ricky Rubio Feels Like It Was Time For Both Sides To Move On 

Post#2 » by Cassius » Thu Aug 3, 2017 5:04 pm

It would be pretty cool if Rubio started hitting shots this year and the Jazz were able to hold their position in the West.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#3 » by GaaBaaBoo » Thu Aug 3, 2017 5:32 pm

Cassius wrote:It would be pretty cool if Rubio started hitting shots this year and the Jazz were able to hold their position in the West.

He and Dante Exum are the new Splash Brothers
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,635

Post#4 » by OdomFan » Thu Aug 3, 2017 6:10 pm

Never forget
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#5 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Aug 3, 2017 6:58 pm

GaaBaaBoo wrote:
Cassius wrote:It would be pretty cool if Rubio started hitting shots this year and the Jazz were able to hold their position in the West.

I hope you're kidding. I really like this for the Jazz, too bad it was after Hayward left but you know whatever.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#6 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Aug 3, 2017 7:45 pm

Just gotta learn how to shoot better
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Bobalob
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#7 » by Bobalob » Thu Aug 3, 2017 9:01 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Just gotta learn how to shoot better

7 years later...
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#8 » by AK47MVP » Thu Aug 3, 2017 10:28 pm

GaaBaaBoo wrote:

:crazy: More like brick batman and robin...... I love Rubio's defens, hustle and passing but why would you even mention that bust Exum?
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#9 » by We Are Groot » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:39 am

AK47MVP wrote:
GaaBaaBoo wrote:

:crazy: More like brick batman and robin...... I love Rubio's defens, hustle and passing but why would you even mention that bust Exum?

@AK474MVP - i think you missed the sarcasm font. You're taking his comment WAY too seriously.

Rubio is lucky he landed in a good situation with a team who values him. San Antone might be the only other spot I can think of that wldv been better for him; both things would also be true, and they have Chip Engelland on their staff. Still, I'm happy the kid ended up in a good spot. It is curious to me that Thibs couldn't make it work with this guy. Yes he has a busted J, but everything else he brings would seem to mesh well with what Thibs wants out of his players.
Furitzu
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Furitzu » Fri Aug 4, 2017 7:33 am

Ricky was drafted to build around Kevin Love, it was starting to work until Peko and Love get injured and now Minny rebuild. Then experimented left over Rubio with the new Core but he was caught in the New Era of small ball guards should be a shooter where in he didn't fit anymore.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,651

Post#11 » by shrink » Fri Aug 4, 2017 5:54 pm

oops -
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,651

Post#12 » by shrink » Fri Aug 4, 2017 6:07 pm

As a MIN fan, I think the Jazz have gotten a very good player.

There is a widespread myth right now that since many teams are effectively running the high post pick and roll with their offensive point guard, that it is the only way to succeed in the league. Right now, the NBA is filled with almost two dozen fantastic point guards that fit this mold, and I agree that any coach that has one, should be running that play, and maximizing the talent of their players. However, running that play is not an NBA rule yet, and many coaches, including the best of them all, Greg Popovich, has shown that you don't need to run that play all the time and you can still be successful.

Aside from the shooting (and I agree, that's a big think to set aside), Rubio is an extraordinary guard. He is consistently in the Top 1-5 in APG, SPG, AST/TO ratio. He's one of the best defensive PG's in the NBA. His advance stats are all top notch. He makes spectacular passes that arrive as a player is about to become open, that wow fans and most of all - make everyone on the floor better. People knock Rubio's shooting, but fail to notice that when he is on the floor, the Wolves and their historically sorry starters, have outperformed opponents offensively. Despite Rubio's shooting, he makes the TEAM better offensively than the opponents.

I'm a Rubio fan, and I'm glad to see that he landed with a good organization like the Jazz. I think that many Jazz fans are a little nervous about Rubio, and I think that's understandable, but I think he will quickly win your over.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion