Re: Jerry West Didn't Want To Leave Warriors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jerry West Didn't Want To Leave Warriors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Jerry West left the Golden State Warriors to join the front office of the Los Angeles Clippers this offseason. West described his departure from the Warriors as difficult in an interview with Tim Kawakami of The Athletic.

"Frankly it was very sad, OK? It really was," said West. "A place where I thought that if I was going to work another year or if somebody wanted me to work another year, I thought I could contribute; I did not want to leave. I did not want to leave. I was very happy there.

"But those things happen sometimes. Obviously to be around a bunch of players that were as together as any I’ve seen and I think more importantly the talent that was on that team and to see the joy. There’s a lot of joy there. I think those are the kind of environments where people really prosper.

"And getting to know Steve (Kerr) a lot better than I did before… I think the one thing about him, he’s a remarkable person. He’s continuing to grow as a coach. But he seems to have a great way with these people, working with Bob (Myers), who I’ve known forever… I don’t even call it work. Being around Bob. And more importantly seeing Travis (Schlenk, now the Atlanta general manager) get a job. I’m thrilled for him. Very deserving. And also the people in the scouting department up there and the fun I had up there.

"You don’t always in your life have a chance to work in environments like that. And the ownership group, to have that many diverse people who were so successful. To see the decisions that were made up there to make this possible… it was kind of a storybook six years to be honest with you.

"Everyone talks about, ‘well, this team is loading up to beat the Warriors,' right? Well, everyone’s playing for second place right now.

"There’s one thing you can’t ever guard against is (injuries), losing your players that are unique. But there’s a joy to that place that I’ve never been around before. When you get older, certainly that plays a big part when you’re no longer there."

West was then asked by Kawakami why he left the Warriors if he wanted to remain with the franchise.

"It was time for me to leave. I’m in Los Angeles again. For me, I’ll have a chance to go in the office a little bit and watch some of the people that have been hired, to watch our coaches coach. I’ve often said I’ve done some crazy things in my life because of the timing and maybe the timing was right."

Via Tim Kawakami/The Athletic

Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#2 » by Hoopzilla » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:52 pm

He just can't admit the truth that we all know because that would make him look greedy. He left for the money. Thanks for showing us you're never too old to be a sell out.
6moomoo6
Pro Prospect
And1: 995

Post#3 » by 6moomoo6 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:He just can't admit the truth that we all know because that would make him look greedy. He left for the money. Thanks for showing us you're never too old to be a sell out.

Who knows, maybe he was driven out by ownership? "A place where I thought that if I was going to work another year or if somebody wanted me to work another year..." Sure seems to be implying it. Afterall, the team is absolutely stacked and capped out, what's left for West to do there? So why keep paying him millions if you're ownership.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#4 » by Lalouie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:09 pm

I'll bet this is how Jerry approached Durant. It's a convincing argument
Hoopzilla
Starter

Post#5 » by Hoopzilla » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:18 pm

6moomoo6 wrote:
Hoopzilla wrote:He just can't admit the truth that we all know because that would make him look greedy. He left for the money. Thanks for showing us you're never too old to be a sell out.

Who knows, maybe he was driven out by ownership? "A place where I thought that if I was going to work another year or if somebody wanted me to work another year..." Sure seems to be implying it. Afterall, the team is absolutely stacked and capped out, what's left for West to do there? So why keep paying him millions if you're ownership.

He was not driven out by ownership, he was the brains behind the team. He chose to leave for the Clippers. As he mentioned, the team was great, the staff was great, management gave him what he needed to do his job. There was no reason to leave other than the Brinks truck full of cash that Steve Ballmer offered him to reshape the Clippers.

I can understand if he wanted a new challenge as he had taken the Warriors to their conclusion as far as talent is concerned. If he believes everyone else is playing for second place, then why would he leave the winner to go to a team he knows has no chance to beat the team he left? Cash is the only thing that makes sense. He is too old to care about much else at this point.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#6 » by kenwood3333 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:48 pm

It does sound like he was driven out by someone of power in the GSW organization. And money could be a reason too (i.e. ownership not willing to pay more since the team is already successful).
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#7 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm guessing that Lacob pushed him out because he wants all the credit for the Warriors' success. Their loss is our gain. :D
Hoopzilla
Starter

Post#8 » by Hoopzilla » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:03 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I'm guessing that Lacob pushed him out because he wants all the credit for the Warriors' success. Their loss is our gain. :D

Ballmer brought out the chequebook, nothing more, nothing less. He was welcome to go back to the Warriors, but it makes more sense that Ballmer offered him too much money to pass up.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2715802-jerry-west-reportedly-will-leave-warriors-for-job-with-clippers
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,598

Re: Re: Jerry West Didn't Want To Leave Warriors 

Post#9 » by dc » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:59 pm

I think the Clips simply offered a lot more money in addition to West never having to leave LA.

Guy is about 80 years old now. LA to the Bay Area isn't a long flight, but still, it can't be fun traveling back and forth at that age.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Clippers4Life
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#10 » by Clippers4Life » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:45 pm

No Jerry left cause the Clippers have the best owner in the NBA and Steve Ballmar is willing to spend any amount for our first championship. Ballmar offered West more money and more power. Who would say no??
CLIPPERS 4 LIFE!
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,389

Post#11 » by svart » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:43 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I'm guessing that Lacob pushed him out because he wants all the credit for the Warriors' success. Their loss is our gain. :D

Or maybe he just wanted another challenge. I don't think he was pushed out. It's not dubs culture to do that.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,198

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Derp.
Camping Fan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#13 » by Camping Fan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Sometime a job runs it course and at this point Jerry West has taught them how to build winning teams and simply is not need any more. I wish him the best of luck
Lakers 2020
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#14 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:39 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Derp.

Yeah, it's totally unfathomable that Mr. Light Years himself would want all the credit for the Warriors' success. :crazy:
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#15 » by Bball0000 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Clippers4Life wrote:No Jerry left cause the Clippers have the best owner in the NBA

:lol: :lol:
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#16 » by hyberx » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:26 am

Clippers4Life wrote:

No Jerry left cause the Clippers have the best owner in the NBA and Steve Ballmar is willing to spend any amount for our first championship. Ballmar offered West more money and more power. Who would say no??
CLIPPERS 4 LIFE!

The same owner who gave Doc all the power and paid big for his GLeaguer son, until now. Yeah. LOL.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#17 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:40 am

That's not what it sounds like. It sounds like the warriors decided to not bring him back. Having The Logo around could never hurt, that's for sure.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Re: Jerry West Didn't Want To Leave Warriors 

Post#18 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 am

It sounds to me like he's very happy working with the Warriors but there's no challenge there, unlike with the Clippers. He wants to use his talent in a new place instead of being in a happy environment but not doing much.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,146

Post#19 » by druggas » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:03 pm

Wrong.

Return to Wiretap Discussion