Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: Nets Were Offered Four First Round Picks By Unnamed Team For Mikal Bridges 

Post#21 » by gigantes » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:12 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
gigantes wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:These pick laden offers will look a lot more interesting after the ping pong balls have been selected, and by then the Nets may have an idea whether they can build something from they've got and scrap a tear down.

Exactly this.

There's way too many good new pieces in BRK right now to assume a rebuild is necessary. Bridges can always be traded down the line if it makes sense, even if it's not quite for four #'1s.

The key here is that Joe Tsai has been pretty firm since he bought the team that he wants to field a good team that will fill seats. The Nets can probably do that right now and still have lots of flexibility with their new surplus of draft assets.

They have zero motivation to be bad because none of their picks are their own. With no reward for losing, they will continue to put the best possible team on the floor. And yes, they have a lot of good pieces to work with.

True enough, but it still depends. If the current roster is unexpectedly disappointing (and I don't believe it will be), they can still decide to pursue stars or alternatively, offload assets to stockpile more picks.

As with their current surplus, the picks may not be their own, and may fall across a range of draft potentials, but the more picks they have, the greater the chances they can build a better team in future if that's what they want.

As I said though, I don't think Tsai wants to go that route unless he has a major change of approach. Personally, I think the Nets look better than they have in years.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,227

Post#22 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:19 pm

gigantes wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
gigantes wrote:Exactly this.

There's way too many good new pieces in BRK right now to assume a rebuild is necessary. Bridges can always be traded down the line if it makes sense, even if it's not quite for four #'1s.

The key here is that Joe Tsai has been pretty firm since he bought the team that he wants to field a good team that will fill seats. The Nets can probably do that right now and still have lots of flexibility with their new surplus of draft assets.

They have zero motivation to be bad because none of their picks are their own. With no reward for losing, they will continue to put the best possible team on the floor. And yes, they have a lot of good pieces to work with.

True enough, but it still depends. If the current roster is unexpectedly disappointing (and I don't believe it will be), they can still decide to pursue stars or alternatively, offload assets to stockpile more picks.

As with their current surplus, the picks may not be their own, and may fall across a range of draft potentials, but the more picks they have, the greater the chances they can build a better team in future if that's what they want.

As I said though, I don't think Tsai wants to go that route unless he has a major change of mind. Regardless, I think the Nets look better than they have in years.

True, but without a reward for losing, they might actually develop their players. Can you imagine how good SGA might be if the didn't send him home every year but instead put him on the floor with the best possible lineups. BRK will certainly tinker and trade players that don't line up with their long term plans. But they will continue to try and win through it. It shouldn't be a painful rebuild and it will be quicker than some might think. I would put money on them being a playoff team next season.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#23 » by gigantes » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:30 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
gigantes wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:They have zero motivation to be bad because none of their picks are their own. With no reward for losing, they will continue to put the best possible team on the floor. And yes, they have a lot of good pieces to work with.

As I said though, I don't think Tsai wants to go that route unless he has a major change of mind. Regardless, I think the Nets look better than they have in years.

True, but without a reward for losing, they might actually develop their players. Can you imagine how good SGA might be if the didn't send him home every year but instead put him on the floor with the best possible lineups. BRK will certainly tinker and trade players that don't line up with their long term plans. But they will continue to try and win through it. It shouldn't be a painful rebuild and it will be quicker than some might think. I would put money on them being a playoff team next season.

As a Nets fan since 2001, those are some pretty self-evident things you don't remotely need to remind me about. XD
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,465

Re: Re: Nets Were Offered Four First Round Picks By Unnamed Team For Mikal Bridges 

Post#24 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:13 pm

If the Nets weren't still a potential playoff opponent of my team, I'd wish you guys a strong finish to the season to show fans the value of things like defense, shooting, chemistry, and a lack of drama.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#25 » by Ben » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:00 pm

shrink wrote:I know which team offered four 1sts. The Fantasyland Gnomes

So if I was GM of the Nets, and I just traded a future HOF superstar in Kevin Durant, wouldn’t it help me to leak a story about how valuable a return I got?

You're completely right, and those who are entertaining the report as even remotely credible are laughably wrong. I really like Bridges. I was sickened when the Sixers traded him away right after drafting him. He's a very, very solid player and a glue guy. But there is absolutely no way that any team offered 4 first round picks for him. Do I really need to go into all the reasons why? It didn't happen. Zach Lowe may have a source, but the source has motivations.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#26 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:02 pm

gigantes wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
gigantes wrote:True enough, but it still depends. If the current roster is unexpectedly disappointing (and I don't believe it will be), they can still decide to pursue stars or alternatively, offload assets to stockpile more picks.

As a Nets fan since 2001, those are some pretty self-evident things you don't remotely need to remind me about. XD

I will keep that in mind for any potential future conversations. :dontknow:
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#27 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:23 pm

Ben wrote:

So if I was GM of the Nets, and I just traded a future HOF superstar in Kevin Durant, wouldn’t it help me to leak a story about how valuable a return I got?

You're completely right, and those who are entertaining the report as even remotely credible are laughably wrong. I really like Bridges. I was sickened when the Sixers traded him away right after drafting him. He's a very, very solid player and a glue guy. But there is absolutely no way that any team offered 4 first round picks for him. Do I really need to go into all the reasons why? It didn't happen. Zach Lowe may have a source, but the source has motivations.

On the podcast that this was aggregated from Lowe said "four" but then kind of backed it down to "three". I believe it for three reasons.
1) I'd rather have him than OG and three picks was OG's rumored cost. (Which obviously no one paid.)
2) He's locked in on an incredibly team friendly deal.
3) People in the last year or two have started convoluting picks and pick swaps. People will say that Gobert was traded for 5 FRP, when it was really 4+ a swap. That never used to happen but it seemingly happens all the time now. A swap is not a pick, but it is sometimes reported as one.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#28 » by haste10176 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:45 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Ben wrote:

On the podcast that this was aggregated from Lowe said "four" but then kind of backed it down to "three". I believe it for three reasons.
1) I'd rather have him than OG and three picks was OG's rumored cost. (Which obviously no one paid.)
3) People in the last year or two have started convoluting picks and pick swaps. People will say that Gobert was traded for 5 FRP, when it was really 4+ a swap. That never used to happen but it seemingly happens all the time now. A swap is not a pick, but it is sometimes reported as one.

Point 3 is completely wrong. The wolves traded 4 first round picks the reason people.say it was 5 was because they included the player they drafted that year with their first round pick in the package. Get it?
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#29 » by haste10176 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:46 am

That is one of the best contracts in the NBA getting Mikal on your team would be a massive boost plays defence and can shoot would be good to get Cam and Mikal in one trade.. Nets have a lot of pieces teams will want an interesting off season awaits
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#30 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:39 pm

haste10176 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Ben wrote:

Point 3 is completely wrong. The wolves traded 4 first round picks the reason people.say it was 5 was because they included the player they drafted that year with their first round pick in the package. Get it?

Did UTH "pick" Walker Kessler? No they did not. And that goes to my point. You can say that Kessler is "essentially" another pick, or that the pick swap has UTH "controlling" five future picks. But that often isn't how it's reported anymore. The deal was for four FRP's, one swap and players. If the word "five" comes out of your mouth without qualification, you are inflating the story. That's happening more and more over the past few years. Particularly here on RealGM.

Get it? :wink:
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,519

Post#31 » by JXL » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:02 pm

Looking back at this, the Nets are really stupid.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL

Return to Wiretap Discussion