D'Angelo Russell Prefers To Stay With Lakers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

D'Angelo Russell Prefers To Stay With Lakers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:58 pm

Los Angeles Lakers guard D'Angelo Russell has a player option for $18.7 million for next season. Russell hasn't decided if he'll pick up his option or opt out, but he does know he would prefer to remain with the Lakers.

"I’d love to be here and continue to give it a run and be where my feet are now," Russell told HoopsHype. "Obviously, I’ve been on the other side of it, and I’ve been through the roller coaster of free agency and having to sit back and wait. I’m looking forward to not having to worry about that. I’ve been blessed enough to put myself in this position with my play. I’m definitely planning on taking advantage of that. When that time comes, I feel that everything will play out how it’s supposed to play out."

The veteran guard also said there's a lot of pressure playing in what is effectively a contract year.

"It’s definitely pressure," Russell said. "It’s something that can eat a lot of people up in the league. A lot of people can be too high at times and too low at times, which causes an emotional roller coaster through the ups and downs of the season. For me, I wanted to control that. I wanted to stay sane and stay even-keeled through the ups and the downs."

Via Michael Scotto/HoopsHype

tacos
Senior
And1: 385

Re: D'Angelo Russell Prefers To Stay With Lakers 

Post#2 » by tacos » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:10 pm

A player wanting to be or stay a laker? no way!
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#3 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:30 pm

It's probably a smart decision to opt into the 18 mil if winning and keeping that amount of money at the same time is his priority.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#4 » by Effigy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:22 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:It's probably a smart decision to opt into the 18 mil if winning and keeping that amount of money at the same time is his priority.

Smart for the Lakers but not for him. He will opt out and make the Lakers give him a bigger contract.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#5 » by MitchB3 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:27 pm

Yeah, he's gone.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#6 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:49 pm

Effigy wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:It's probably a smart decision to opt into the 18 mil if winning and keeping that amount of money at the same time is his priority.

Smart for the Lakers but not for him. He will opt out and make the Lakers give him a bigger contract.

Thinking about it now...
1. Not a good summer for FA
2. Lakers don't have hardly any money to spend this summer.

D'Lo definitely has leverage on his side
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,966

Post#7 » by Liam_Gallagher » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

He’s worth much more.

Return to Wiretap Discussion