LeBron James Expected To Opt Out, Seek No-Trade Clause In Next Contract With Lakers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

LeBron James Expected To Opt Out, Seek No-Trade Clause In Next Contract With Lakers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:07 pm

LeBron James is widely expected to remain with the Los Angeles Lakers for the 24-25 season, but 

"I think LeBron is going to opt out no matter what and the reason I think he's going to opt out no matter is because even if he just signs back for one year, the only functional way for LeBron to get a no-trade clause is to sign a new contract," said Brian Windhorst. "If he extends the contract he is in, or picks up that option and extends onto it, he cannot get a no-trade clause. I think for a number of different reasons, LeBron would like, ask for, and probably be granted a no-trade clause.

"There may be some debate with him and the Lakers about whether he should get three years, or whether a third year would be a team option, or a player option, or not guaranteed or whatever. I think there could be some interesting negotations back and forth on that."

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 847

Re: LeBron James Expected To Opt Out, Seek No-Trade Clause In Next Contract With Lakers 

Post#2 » by Roy T » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:41 pm

No sane GM would sign him to a three year contract at this stage of his career.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,764

Re: LeBron James Expected To Opt Out, Seek No-Trade Clause In Next Contract With Lakers 

Post#3 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:06 pm

Roy T wrote:No sane GM would sign him to a three year contract at this stage of his career.

Pretty sure plenty would or could depending on specifics. He has held up really well statistically (if still not same player) and I think would still be worth a max for at least 2 of the 3 years. If he played out the last year, it would be a retirement tour that would at least be a great draw even if he's fallen off by then.

I also don't think Lebron is going to be the type of guy looking to extend his career to make the most money possible, I don't think it would benefit him to play out a 3rd year where he is obviously an absolute shell of his former self, on a team hamstrung by his contract. He's made so much money already and cares too much about his image IMO.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 520

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:15 pm

LeBron recently said he doesn't have much time left in the NBA...which means he'll sign a max lifelong contract and play until he's 65.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,566

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:25 pm

He's going to get a new 1+1 deal this summer. Im assuming a 2 year, $102.65 million deal?
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#6 » by Barcs » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:33 pm

Sounds like complete speculation.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#7 » by hype_2004 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:36 pm

If he wants a non trade clause the Lakers should seek 1+1 yrs team option, take it or leave it. LeBron's ego is so big that he will never accept being traded because he simply always wants to control his situation. The Lakers have to look out for their own future, the team, the city will always be bigger than any player past, present or future.
BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,011

Post#8 » by BlzMwt » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:19 pm

Roy T wrote:No sane GM would sign him to a three year contract at this stage of his career.

Are you serious?

Even if he wasn't playing well. Just for ticket sales and ad revenue alone.

Let alone that he's still a top 10-12 player in the league.

Cmon man
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:46 pm

Barcs wrote:Sounds like complete speculation.

If you listen to the podcast you will realize... that it was exactly that, speculation. It certainly wasn't news.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#10 » by hyberx » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:00 am

I hope he gets a 20-year deal worth $50mil per. Lakers deserves him.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#11 » by closg00 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:52 am

Nah, the man could play another two-years easy and be a contributor, the problem is his actual worth to a team now, it won't be for whatever the Lakers are going to overpay for...
ghillphx
Junior
And1: 405

Post#12 » by ghillphx » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:00 am

Sounds like you would be easy to beat in a bet
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,834

Post#13 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:09 am

Lebron James to opt out and go wherever Bronny goes, and blackmail LAL in the process to draft him.
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 847

Post#14 » by Roy T » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:56 am

ghillphx wrote:

I didn't say I would place a bet. Of course somebody will throw the bag at him. But the dude is 39 years old still. He is one injury away from being done and he has not played a lot of games in the last few seasons. You can expect him to give you 55 games a season. So 1 Million per game.

I am quite sure you can find two players for 25 million each, that will replace his production and give you more than 70 games per year. I'd rather go that route rather than cripple my salary cap situation by handing the kang the keys to the franchise.

On the other hand, if I was LeBron and legacy would mean something to me, I'd give a hefty discount to any contender that has a realistic chance to win it all in the next three seasons. I am looking at Denver, Dallas, OKC, Boston or even New York. He has made more than enough money and his lifetime earnings should be sufficient to put him in the owners circle in the next 5-10 years.
GMjobZK
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#15 » by GMjobZK » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:58 am

Roy T wrote:
ghillphx wrote:

I didn't say I would place a bet. Of course somebody will throw the bag at him. But the dude is 39 years old still. He is one injury away from being done and he has not played a lot of games in the last few seasons. You can expect him to give you 55 games a season. So 1 Million per game.

I am quite sure you can find two players for 25 million each, that will replace his production and give you more than 70 games per year. I'd rather go that route rather than cripple my salary cap situation by handing the kang the keys to the franchise.

On the other hand, if I was LeBron and legacy would mean something to me, I'd give a hefty discount to any contender that has a realistic chance to win it all in the next three seasons. I am looking at Denver, Dallas, OKC, Boston or even New York. He has made more than enough money and his lifetime earnings should be sufficient to put him in the owners circle in the next 5-10 years.

I agree. If he truly cares about winning then he would sign a cap friendly deal, but you know damn well he won’t. He treats it more like a business (which there is no wrong in that). All the greats do it… Brady did it and look how many rings he has. Imagine how crazy the Lakers would be able to re-tool if he does that. And yes even at 39 going on 45, the man is built different.

Return to Wiretap Discussion