Klay Thompson Wants To Re-Sign With Warriors, Will Prioritize Mental Health

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Klay Thompson Wants To Re-Sign With Warriors, Will Prioritize Mental Health 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:56 pm

Golden State Warriors wing Klay Thompson admitted that the start of this season was a struggle for him. Thompson said he let his contract situation and playing time issues bother him. After multiple heart-to-heart talks with Warriors coach Steve Kerr, Thompson said he resolved to just have fun the rest of this season.

As for his contract, staying with the only team he's ever played for remains Thompson's goal. However, the veteran shooting guard has other factors he's going to consider.

"Yes, I wanna re-sign with the Dubs, but I also have to prioritize my mental health and lay out what's important to me at this point in my career," Thompson said.

Via The Draymond Green Show/The Volume Sports

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 520

Re: Klay Thompson Wants To Re-Sign With Warriors, Will Prioritize Mental Health 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:12 pm

So we're not prioritizing winning? Isn't that the point of being a professional athlete?
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#3 » by puja21 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:25 pm

TheCage4 wrote:So we're not prioritizing winning? Isn't that the point of being a professional athlete?

he's obviously talking about how he fixated on not being a starter or even a cornerstone rotational player

By accepting a reduced role (surely at a lower salary than he was hoping) and working to improve his mental health within that reduced role, he IS committing to winning (instead of individual goals)

Seems like a very obvious message to me, given Klay's past interviews
Salty1
Senior
And1: 81

Post#4 » by Salty1 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:31 pm

If the dubs can somehow get to the second round, maybe WCF he will get everything he is asking for. Unfortunately the warriors understand their window is up and they’ll likely like to keep him around for the fan base, but they’re not prepared to overpay and stay stagnant moving forward. If Joe Lacob has proven one thing it’s that he’s there to win.
beefymajesto
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#5 » by beefymajesto » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:50 pm

Yawn, who cares ?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,764

Post#6 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:10 pm

puja21 wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:So we're not prioritizing winning? Isn't that the point of being a professional athlete?

he's obviously talking about how he fixated on not being a starter or even a cornerstone rotational player

By accepting a reduced role (surely at a lower salary than he was hoping) and working to improve his mental health within that reduced role, he IS committing to winning (instead of individual goals)

Seems like a very obvious message to me, given Klay's past interviews

Yes- it's the most first world of first world problems, but we're all human and most of us aren't over the hill in our careers at age 34. Ideally he takes it all in with some perspective, and he can gracefully finish his career in GSW.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#7 » by EvanZ » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:25 pm

It's a clickbaity headline folks. Listen to the damn interview.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#8 » by MegaK » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:19 pm

Yo dubs dont want he washed butt bro! Everyone know he going to Knick bro! Stop lying bro!
Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Post#9 » by Dangun » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:31 pm

Ahh yes “mental health” here we go.. it’s so ridiculously hard managing all them 100’s of millions while playing basketball for 25-28 mins a game while the peasants of the world just gotta suck it up and deal with they nonsense .. wtf did you just say .. you only wanna pay me minimum wage millions of dollars to play basketball .. do you not know my mental health is at stake here by offering such peasantry millions of dollars to play a damn sports game smh
RingoKid
Junior
And1: 47

Post#10 » by RingoKid » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:39 pm

Worry about your physical health and the mental stuff just falls into line.

Klay is one niggly injury away from retirement.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#11 » by closg00 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:06 pm

Washed, don't make the Brad Beal mistake, this is the perfect time to close the chapter on the Splash Brothers era.
OogaBooga
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#12 » by OogaBooga » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:10 pm

Quick trade him for Ben Simmons it's time for us to hit peak trade levels
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,790

Post#13 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:58 am

He doesn’t need to ring chase. His legacy is set. He might as well play somewhere he wants to be to end his career.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#14 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:00 am

Dangun wrote:Ahh yes “mental health” here we go.. it’s so ridiculously hard managing all them 100’s of millions while playing basketball for 25-28 mins a game while the peasants of the world just gotta suck it up and deal with they nonsense .. wtf did you just say .. you only wanna pay me minimum wage millions of dollars to play basketball .. do you not know my mental health is at stake here by offering such peasantry millions of dollars to play a damn sports game smh

Oh yes because being rich definitely prevents you from having mental problems. That why so many wealthy celebrities have drug problems and even self-terminate. Such an ignorant comment.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,152

Post#15 » by druggas » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:28 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Dangun wrote:Ahh yes “mental health” here we go.. it’s so ridiculously hard managing all them 100’s of millions while playing basketball for 25-28 mins a game while the peasants of the world just gotta suck it up and deal with they nonsense .. wtf did you just say .. you only wanna pay me minimum wage millions of dollars to play basketball .. do you not know my mental health is at stake here by offering such peasantry millions of dollars to play a damn sports game smh

Oh yes because being rich definitely prevents you from having mental problems. That why so many wealthy celebrities have drug problems and even self-terminate. Such an ignorant comment.

Being rich means you can have people do your worrying for you. The people making $11 an hour, and trying to make ends meet, have mental health problems.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#16 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:40 pm

druggas wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

Being rich means you can have people do your worrying for you. The people making $11 an hour, and trying to make ends meet, have mental health problems.

You’re broke and bitter. I get it
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,152

Post#17 » by druggas » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:14 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
druggas wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

You’re broke and bitter. I get it

Nope, on the contrary.

Return to Wiretap Discussion