Tyus Jones Hopes To Stay With Wizards, Wants To Start

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Tyus Jones Hopes To Stay With Wizards, Wants To Start 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:08 pm

Washington Wizards point guard Tyus Jones will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. He hopes to stay with the Wizards, but Jones always wants to be a starter next season.

"Anything can happen," Jones said, "but [my family and I] love D.C., we want to be here, and I want to help this team continue to build and move in the right direction."

Jones was a fulltime starter for the first time this season, by opening all 66 games he played. That's important to Jones moving forward.

"The plan is to be a starter,” Jones said when asked about his preferred role next season."

Jones averaged a career-high in points and assists last season at 12 points and 7.3 assists per game. He also shot 48.9% from the field, including 41.4% on three-pointers.

Via Ava Wallace/The Washington Post

Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,368

Re: Tyus Jones Hopes To Stay With Wizards, Wants To Start 

Post#2 » by Scalabrine » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:57 pm

He's a below average starter and an elite backup.

Look around the league; the only playoff team he'd MAYBE start for is the Orlando Magic.

If he wants to start and be on a solid team, maybe the Spurs would give him a big pay day to start and have his brother back him up? He'd start on the Nets, but I don't think they have any capspace and they aren't good. I really wanted him to land back in Minnesota, but they can't afford him.

Seems like the Wizards are the only really good fit if he's prioritizing starting over winning.
Go Knicks!
Melwing
Sophomore
And1: 40

Re: Tyus Jones Hopes To Stay With Wizards, Wants To Start 

Post#3 » by Melwing » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:26 pm

If he wants to start, then yeah he'd pretty much have to stay with the Wizards. Barring some unforseen Shazam!-type evolution, he's a good bench guy who had an okayish stats year on a terrible team. Magic maybe? I don't see a lot of starting fits out there.

Return to Wiretap Discussion