NBA Considering Making NBA Cup Advancement The Primary Postseason Tiebreaker

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Considering Making NBA Cup Advancement The Primary Postseason Tiebreaker 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:36 pm

The first edition of the NBA Cup was a success. The NBA hoped it would bring added interested and competitiveness to early-season games, and those goals were achieved.

Now, the NBA is considering having NBA Cup results tied into postseason seeding. There is a proposal to make advancement in the NBA Cup into the primary tiebreaker for postseason seeding. The NBA's Board of Governors is expected to consider the proposal and to eventually vote on it.

There are different options that will be considered. One option is to make it the primary tiebreaker, over head-to-head results, when two teams are tied. Another option is to have NBA Cup advancement as the second tiebreaker, behind head-to-head results.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,597

Re: NBA Considering Making NBA Cup Advancement The Primary Postseason Tiebreaker 

Post#2 » by HangTime » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:55 pm

I would replace the the Allstar game with the in-season Tournament semis and Finals.

This can allow for 8 group stage games, spread out between mid-November and mid-January, 1 home and 1 away for each team.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,890

Re: NBA Considering Making NBA Cup Advancement The Primary Postseason Tiebreaker 

Post#3 » by deeps6x » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:25 pm

What the F is the NBA Cup?
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,775

Post#4 » by dougthonus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:41 pm

deeps6x wrote:What the F is the NBA Cup?

The in-season tournament.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,775

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:43 pm

HangTime wrote:I would replace the the Allstar game with the in-season Tournament semis and Finals.

This can allow for 8 group stage games, spread out between mid-November and mid-January, 1 home and 1 away for each team.

I don't know if they could sell it. All-star weekend is still a pretty hot ticket item even if the game sucks, but thematically, I like the idea a lot more of making all-star weekend the in-season tournament finale / semi-finals, skills comps, and something else that packs the stars there.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#6 » by elmdawgg69 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:23 pm

dougthonus wrote:
HangTime wrote:I would replace the the Allstar game with the in-season Tournament semis and Finals.

I don't know if they could sell it. All-star weekend is still a pretty hot ticket item even if the game sucks, but thematically, I like the idea a lot more of making all-star weekend the in-season tournament finale / semi-finals, skills comps, and something else that packs the stars there.

I agree with this. Get rid of the ASG but keep a few events from Saturday Night.

Any win in the knockout round should count towards your total record, and any loss should not. The winner gets an automatic top 4 seed along the three division winners, and runner-up gets an automatic top 6 seed to avoid the play-in.
kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 772

Post#7 » by kacey ring » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:35 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:
Any win in the knockout round should count towards your total record, and any loss should not. The winner gets an automatic top 4 seed along the three division winners, and runner-up gets an automatic top 6 seed to avoid the play-in.

What if a team ONLY wins NBA cup games and the tournament and then loses every other regular season game? I like your idea of perks in playoff seeding but there needs to be more criteria with it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion