Jontay Porter Receives Lifetime Ban From NBA

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jontay Porter Receives Lifetime Ban From NBA 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:20 pm

The NBA announced today that Jontay Porter, a two-way player recently under contract with the Toronto Raptors, has been banned from the NBA.  A league investigation found that Porter violated league rules by disclosing confidential information to sports bettors, limiting his own participation in one or more games for betting purposes, and betting on NBA games.

The league’s investigation found that prior to the Raptors’ March 20 game, Porter disclosed confidential information about his own health status to an individual he knew to be an NBA bettor.  Another individual with whom Porter associated and knew to be an NBA bettor subsequently placed an $80,000 parlay proposition bet with an online sports book, to win $1.1 million, wagering that Porter would underperform in the March 20 game. 

The league’s investigation also found that Porter limited his own game participation to influence the outcome of one or more bets on his performance in at least one Raptors game.  In the March 20 game, Porter played only three minutes, claiming that he felt ill.  Due to the unusual betting activity and actions of the player, the $80,000 proposition bet was frozen and was not paid out. 

In addition, from January through March 2024, while traveling with the Raptors or Raptors 905, the Raptors’ NBA G League affiliate, Porter placed at least 13 bets on NBA games using an associate’s online betting account.  These bets ranged in size from $15 to $22,000, for a total of $54,094.  The total payout from these bets was $76,059, resulting in net winnings of $21,965.  None of the bets involved any game in which Porter played.  Three of the bets were multi-game parlay bets that included one Raptors game, in which Porter bet that the Raptors would lose.  All three bets lost. 

The suspicious bets involving Porter’s performance in the Raptors’ March 20 game were brought to the NBA’s attention by licensed sports betting operators and an organization that monitors legal betting markets. 

These findings are based on the information available to league investigators at this time.  The league’s investigation remains open and may result in further findings.  The NBA has shared and will continue to share information with federal prosecutors about this matter.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said: “There is nothing more important than protecting the integrity of NBA competition for our fans, our teams and everyone associated with our sport, which is why Jontay Porter’s blatant violations of our gaming rules are being met with the most severe punishment.  While legal sports betting creates transparency that helps identify suspicious or abnormal activity, this matter also raises important issues about the sufficiency of the regulatory framework currently in place, including the types of bets offered on our games and players.  Working closely with all relevant stakeholders across the industry, we will continue to work diligently to safeguard our league and game.” 

Via RealGM Staff Report

TheSeeker
Sophomore
And1: 61

Re: Jontay Porter Receives Lifetime Ban From NBA 

Post#2 » by TheSeeker » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:00 pm

I'll bet they never remove the ban. Anyone want to make a wager? :)
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,566

Post#3 » by BarbaGrizz » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:13 pm

What an idiot :lol:
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 716

Post#4 » by Barcs » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:13 pm

Can't say he didn't deserve this. For once, the ban / suspension is actually justified instead of the BS like, "Oh he bet on another sport while in the facility" or some crap.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
irish22022
Senior
And1: 517

Post#5 » by irish22022 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:27 pm

TheSeeker wrote:I'll bet they never remove the ban. Anyone want to make a wager? :)

Jontay wants the under
irish22022
Senior
And1: 517

Post#6 » by irish22022 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:28 pm

Sports betting is running these leagues now. Too much third party money. Always bet the under starting now.
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 363

Post#7 » by imDatknicksTape » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 pm

damn who sold bro out? some1 from sports betting company was probably mad jealous he was affiliated with NBA , playing and making money.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,386

Post#8 » by Billl » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:30 pm

Wow. Not only is this guy a crook, he's also just an idiot. People made millions of dollars off the info he passed them but somehow he manages to lose quite a few of his own bets? Instead of betting on the thing he knew was going to happen (him hitting the under for a fake injury) , he tries a parlay with the game outcome and 2 other random games? Wow. Gotta be the worse gambler in the history of sports betting.
Mr Funk
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,640

Post#9 » by Mr Funk » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:32 pm

Yes Jontay was really dumb, however professional sports leagues consolidating partnerships with gambling platforms is really sleazy.
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 852

Post#10 » by Roy T » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:45 pm

legal sports betting creates transparency

Thank god for sports betting and the positive impact it has on our communities
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,746

Post#11 » by Knick4Real » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:28 pm

Good riddance!!

One down. Now, only about a dozen or so players and refs (using the same gambling scheme) to go!
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 940

Post#12 » by Tom White » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:41 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote:damn who sold bro out? some1 from sports betting company was probably mad jealous he was affiliated with NBA , playing and making money.

I hope that was sarcasm, because otherwise it would just be plain stupid.
HuuHaa
Rookie
And1: 91

Post#13 » by HuuHaa » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:24 pm

League will never be the same without you...
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,580

Post#14 » by bluerap23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 pm

Damn - NBA had to drop this before the Nuggets play the Lakers? Hope MPJ is not affected.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,778

Post#15 » by dougthonus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:50 pm

Mr Funk wrote:Yes Jontay was really dumb, however professional sports leagues consolidating partnerships with gambling platforms is really sleazy.

Counterpoint:

Legitimized gambling is the only reason what Jontay did was discovered. If the gambling platforms were all off-shore non legit businesses, they wouldn't have these types of practices to uncover what was happening, alert the league, and have action being taken.

It's unlikely with large amounts of different gambling institutions being involved that they can influence the line as much because they all should have pretty robust stuff in place to be monitoring for this.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Mr Funk
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,640

Post#16 » by Mr Funk » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:32 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Mr Funk wrote:Yes Jontay was really dumb, however professional sports leagues consolidating partnerships with gambling platforms is really sleazy.

Counterpoint:

Legitimized gambling is the only reason what Jontay did was discovered. If the gambling platforms were all off-shore non legit businesses, they wouldn't have these types of practices to uncover what was happening, alert the league, and have action being taken.

It's unlikely with large amounts of different gambling institutions being involved that they can influence the line as much because they all should have pretty robust stuff in place to be monitoring for this.

That's not the point, but not surprised you'd find a contrarian manner to justify this sleaze.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,778

Post#17 » by dougthonus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:14 pm

Mr Funk wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Counterpoint:

That's not the point, but not surprised you'd find a contrarian manner to justify this sleaze.

What is your point?
#1 I hate legalized gambling and wish it didn't exist because it is bad for society

#2 I'm fine with legalized gambling but I think it poses a risk to the integrity of the game and therefore wish it was kept at arms distance from the league

#3 I'm fine with legalized gambling but I think the constant gambling content detracts from the game (pre/post/halftime/ingame discussion of gambling)

#4 Some other variant not considered above?

Any one of those three things are potentially valid points (and certainly there are many more besides those 3 that someone might have, but those 3 seemed to sum up the main concerns I considered likely someone to express). I'm addressing point #2. Legalized gambling is going to make corruption less likely rather than more likely especially if distributed across many different large, compliant corporations.

I dislike gambling for points #1 and #3 (and because I don't enjoy it personally enough to care about it), though you could say the same thing about alcohol, pot, and many other vices that in moderation are not a problem but can create very serious problems for those who are not able to moderate addiction.

I don't find gambling partnerships sleazier than alcohol partnerships, we're just more used to them, but I'd guess as many lives have been ruined by either. I'd personally prefer the NBA didn't partner with gambling places at all and wish to remove all gambling content from all my sports content because I definitely fall into category #3 at a minimum.

And I'd agree that some thoughtful remarks that weigh pros/cons about a particular situation are par for the course for me.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
GMjobZK
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#18 » by GMjobZK » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:01 pm

The real question is how many other players and refs are doing the same thing just masking it better?
SirClutchKing
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#19 » by SirClutchKing » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:22 am

NBA are the ones who have partnered with betting companies and allowed gambling advertising non stop.
They're feeding the betting monster that's taking more and more young men worldwide.
This stuff used to be underground/illegal and run by the mafia.
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 718

Post#20 » by TGM » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:38 am

It’s all Fred Vanvleet fault. He has been given advice to G-league players to “bet on yourself”. Many GMs said Fred is a role model and Jontay took the advice literally!

Return to Wiretap Discussion