Sixers Not Considering Shutting Down Joel Embiid

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Sixers Not Considering Shutting Down Joel Embiid 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:03 am

Joel Embiid briefly left the Philadelphia 76ers Game 1 loss to the New York Knicks before halftime with another left knee injury scare. Embiid landed awkwardly after a dunk and fell to the ground, while grabbing at his left knee. He eventually limped off to the locker room.

Embiid returned to play in the second half. He didn't have any more major issues with the knee, but the moments where Embiid does look hurt are enough to question if he should be playing.

Philadelphia head coach Nick Nurse said the team isn't considering shutting Embiid down for the season. Nurse said "I don't think so", when asked if there is any thought to making Embiid sit due to the repeated injury scared. Nurse said Embiid wants to play and to play through any issues he has with his left knee.

Via Kyle Neubeck/PHLY

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,194

Re: Sixers Not Considering Shutting Down Joel Embiid 

Post#2 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:38 am

I’m sure they consulted their doctors. Still, I don’t think it’s worth the risk.
Free Palestine
rapluva
Analyst
And1: 940

Post#3 » by rapluva » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:25 am

The way Embid flops for his size, he should consider stopping all those antics..maybe he thinks he is a guard in a center's body..

Sixers will learn in a year or so that they should probably trade Embid and build around Maxey.

Their team has money next season.. let's see if they make a run at PG or some other star.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#4 » by donaldtrump_00 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:15 am

I feel for him because he will never win it all. His injuries are keeping him from playing every year in the playoffs. This been going on since his rookie season. It's bad enough I don't watch the sixers play barely at all, but when it's playoffs time I'm ready to see them shine. He's always dragging himself around till he's eventually ruled out.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,821

Post#5 » by phillynative » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:17 am

rapluva wrote:The way Embid flops for his size, he should consider stopping all those antics..maybe he thinks he is a guard in a center's body..

Sixers will learn in a year or so that they should probably trade Embid and build around Maxey.

Their team has money next season.. let's see if they make a run at PG or some other star.

Typical
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,971

Post#6 » by Cassius » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:59 am

This is a cautionary tale for all of us. You can’t wait to take your health and diet seriously. It sucks because it appears he’s doing all the right things now, but it also appears to be too late.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,956

Post#7 » by Jabroni Lames » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:10 am

Same Hinkie tanking Karma

Trust the Process
xchange55
Senior
And1: 524

Post#8 » by xchange55 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:07 pm

Cassius wrote:This is a cautionary tale for all of us. You can’t wait to take your health and diet seriously. It sucks because it appears he’s doing all the right things now, but it also appears to be too late.

This story has been written hundreds of times already in the NBA. Once a big has knee issues, they will never go away. The amount of running and jumping at their weight, is not meant to be supported by the construction of the knee, and once it's compromised it's over.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,012

Post#9 » by kalel123 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:15 pm

This is the team saying they don't believe Embiid's long-term outlook gets any better by taking precaution teams normally take and sitting him out. So instead, they are trying to squeeze every bit of what they can while Embiid is still able and willing to step on the court. It's the same story with him when it comes to playoffs, always the same ready-made excuse when he and his team ultimately fails in the playoffs.

Return to Wiretap Discussion