'Growing Belief' Hawks Prefer To Trade Trae Young Over Dejounte Murray

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

'Growing Belief' Hawks Prefer To Trade Trae Young Over Dejounte Murray 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:32 pm

The Atlanta Hawks are widely expected to trade either Trae Young or Dejounte Murray this offseason after a two-season sample size showing that they are a bad on-court fit. The Hawks attempted to trade Murray this season, but didn't find a trade to their liking. Atlanta could receive a bigger trade package in return for Young, who is also on a more expensive contract.

According to Marc Stein, "there is a growing belief in many corners of the league that Atlanta's preference would actually be shopping Young."

Young is coming off Year 2 of a five-year, $215 million contract. 

Young and Murray are both represented by Klutch Sports.

Via Marc Stein/The Stein Line

Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,997

Re: 'Growing Belief' Hawks Prefer To Trade Trae Young Over Dejounte Murray 

Post#2 » by Wingy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:54 am

Lavine / Young trade incoming this offseason.
- Both players are with Klutch.
- Two treadmilling teams wanting to get rid of max players with significant warts.
- Lavine and Dejounte are off-court friends both from the Seattle area.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#3 » by TimeisIllmatic » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:22 am

Wingy wrote:Lavine / Young trade incoming this offseason.
- Two treadmilling teams wanting to get rid of max players with significant warts.

I can see Dejounte going to ORL or San Antonio and unfortunately the Lakers will be in the mix. Unfortunately in the sense that adding Dejounte is not going to magically make this Lakers team any better than what they are. At the deadline the Lakers weren't willing to meet Atlanta's asking price but that could easily change when the offseason comes.

LaVine will be a challenge to be moved because of his injuries and his contract. Hard to see anyone willing to take his contract without any assets attached to him.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,997

Post#4 » by Wingy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:41 am

TimeisIllmatic wrote:I can see Dejounte going to ORL or San Antonio and unfortunately the Lakers will be in the mix. Unfortunately in the sense that adding Dejounte is not going to magically make this Lakers team any better than what they are. At the deadline the Lakers weren't willing to meet Atlanta's asking price but that could easily change when the offseason comes.

LaVine will be a challenge to be moved because of his injuries and his contract. Hard to see anyone willing to take his contract without any assets attached to him.

I’d move off Trae first if I were ATL. Excellent offensive player, but just compromises a defense. I’m low on any Laker assets outside of their few remaining picks, and don’t think they should give those up, so a Murray deal there just seems like click bait.

Mostly agree on Lavine. I think if he’s back on the court performing, I could see a team like ATL pulling the trigger with only minor assets attached. I think ATL might just be completely done with the Trae/Dejounte experiment and want to keep Dejounte (not sure how true, but have read ownership is a big fan). Trae’s lack of defense and propensity to take awful shots make him a tough guy to find a landing spot for…at least with serious teams. The Bulls do not fit the definition of a serious team, thus why I could see a potential deal. You’re right on the injuries though. He’ll have to get back on the court. Perhaps a Rich Paul with contingency wink wink deal.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#5 » by TimeisIllmatic » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:04 am

Wingy wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:I can see Dejounte going to ORL or San Antonio and unfortunately the Lakers will be in the mix. Unfortunately in the sense that adding Dejounte is not going to magically make this Lakers team any better than what they are. At the deadline the Lakers weren't willing to meet Atlanta's asking price but that could easily change when the offseason comes.

I’d move off Trae first if I were ATL. Excellent offensive player, but just compromises a defense. I’m low on any Laker assets outside of their few remaining picks, and don’t think they should give those up, so a Murray deal there just seems like click bait.

Mostly agree on Lavine. I think if he’s back on the court performing, I could see a team like ATL pulling the trigger with only minor assets attached. I think ATL might just be completely done with the Trae/Dejounte experiment and want to keep Dejounte (not sure how true, but have read ownership is a big fan). Trae’s lack of defense and propensity to take awful shots make him a tough guy to find a landing spot for…at least with serious teams. The Bulls do not fit the definition of a serious team, thus why I could see a potential deal. You’re right on the injuries though. He’ll have to get back on the court. Perhaps a Rich Paul with contingency wink wink deal.

LaVine to ATL wouldn't be the worst idea to have him pair up with someone he knows. It would also help bring in another known name to the city of ATL.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,984

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:25 am

TimeisIllmatic wrote:

I can see Dejounte going to ORL or San Antonio and unfortunately the Lakers will be in the mix. Unfortunately in the sense that adding Dejounte is not going to magically make this Lakers team any better than what they are. At the deadline the Lakers weren't willing to meet Atlanta's asking price but that could easily change when the offseason comes.

Word has it PATFO shut that door after his tenure, departure, and running of his mouth afterwards.

We do need a 1 and 3 upgrade, but it's highly doubtful we'll be using Atl picks for Atl PGs.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#7 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:52 am

I can understand that. He’s basically Isaiah Thomas. He’d look good on the Lakers or Pelicans, I guess.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 190

Post#8 » by puja21 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:13 pm

G R E Y wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:

Word has it PATFO shut that door after his tenure, departure, and running of his mouth afterwards.

We do need a 1 and 3 upgrade, but it's highly doubtful we'll be using Atl picks for Atl PGs.

TIL what "PATFO" means

Feels a little dismissive of Buford, but what's more Spurs than minimizing (or not caring about) credit
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,984

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:18 pm

puja21 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:

TIL what "PATFO" means

Feels a little dismissive of Buford, but what's more Spurs than minimizing (or not caring about) credit

It's just the common acronym among Spurs fandom and SA media for Pop and the Front Office. Has been such since the days when RC was GM and continues with Brian Wright now in the position. RC now oversees the entire SS&E so he's not being overlooked in any way.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,881

Post#10 » by HotelVitale » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:39 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:I can understand that. He’s basically Isaiah Thomas. He’d look good on the Lakers or Pelicans, I guess.

If Isaiah Thomas was also the best lead-guard passer in the game.
spree2kawhi
RealGM

Post#11 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:24 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:I can understand that. He’s basically Isaiah Thomas. He’d look good on the Lakers or Pelicans, I guess.

Well he isn’t. You’ll bring up a selection of per game assist numbers, but Jerry Stackhouse was never the best scorer in the NBA despite leading the league in total points in 2001.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#12 » by HotelVitale » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:57 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Well he isn’t. You’ll bring up a selection of per game assist numbers, but Jerry Stackhouse was never the best scorer in the NBA despite leading the league in total points in 2001.

I won't bring up assists per game, I'll bring up watching him play basketball for more than 30 seconds. I'm not even a big Trae fan, it's just a very obvious thing about him and IT is not a good or relevant example.
spree2kawhi
RealGM

Post#13 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:03 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

I won't bring up assists per game, I'll bring up watching him play basketball for more than 30 seconds. I'm not even a big Trae fan, it's just a very obvious thing about him and IT is not a good or relevant example.

I’ve watched the Hawks plenty this year, full games, and they struck me as one of the most uninspiring if not worst teams in the league for stretches of January and February. Trae is a losing player. The passes you’re talking about lead to nothing. What’s more, Murray has been outplaying him.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#14 » by HotelVitale » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:08 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:Well he isn’t. You’ll bring up a selection of per game assist numbers, but Jerry Stackhouse was never the best scorer in the NBA despite leading the league in total points in 2001.

I’ve watched the Hawks plenty this year, full games, and they struck me as one of the most uninspiring if not worst teams in the league for stretches of January and February. Trae is a losing player. The passes you’re talking about lead to nothing. What’s more, Murray has been outplaying him.

Cool if you think Trae's a losing player, or that his ball dominance isn't a good way to run an offense. But it's not arguable that he's a very high level passer.

Return to Wiretap Discussion