Spurs Could Pursue Chris Paul In Free Agency

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Spurs Could Pursue Chris Paul In Free Agency 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:35 pm

The San Antonio Spurs could pursue Chris Paul if he becomes a free agent this offseason.

Paul's $30 million salary for the 24-25 season with the Golden State Warriors is non-guaranteed.

The Spurs struggled at point guard for most of Victor Wembanyama's rookie season, initially deploying Jeremy Sochan at the position in the starting lineup. San Antonio was far more effective with Tre Jones at the position.

Via Marc Stein/The Stein Line

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,198

Re: Spurs Could Pursue Chris Paul In Free Agency 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:48 pm

'Could'.

Or could not.

lol no...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#3 » by alienpick » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:55 pm

G R E Y wrote:'Could'.

Or could not.

lol no...

makes sense if they want a seasoned vet to get Wemby the ball in his spots. Paul is a master at that.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:59 pm

alienpick wrote:

Or could not.

lol no...

makes sense if they want a seasoned vet to get Wemby the ball in his spots. Paul is a master at that.

He is.

But he's an a-hole with a punchable face so as a fan whose team got rid of those, I'd like to keep a clean sheet lol

Also, he's not really a 3&D threat, likely ring chasing, and super expensive. Does not fit our timeline at all even as we need talent upgrades at 1&3, and this speculation ignores what is known of Spurs plan, which is to largely stay the course for this and '25 draft, then look at making big swings

That's not to say we won't make advantageous trades, just that there's no need for big swings right now.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,280

Post#5 » by imagump1313 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:57 pm

G R E Y wrote:
alienpick wrote:

Or could not.

lol no...

He is.

But he's an a-hole with a punchable face so as a fan whose team got rid of those, I'd like to keep a clean sheet lol

Also, he's not really a 3&D threat, likely ring chasing, and super expensive. Does not fit our timeline at all even as we need talent upgrades at 1&3, and this speculation ignores what is known of Spurs plan, which is to largely stay the course for this and '25 draft, then look at making big swings

That's not to say we won't make advantageous trades, just that there's no need for big swings right now.

In agreement with the total a-hole with a punchable face part. But I'll try to look the other way if he can throw lobs that Wemby can catch. I've always hated this guy but he did try to fit in with the Warriors and not make it all about him this year.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#6 » by alienpick » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:58 am

imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
alienpick wrote:

He is.

In agreement with the total a-hole with a punchable face part. But I'll try to look the other way if he can throw lobs that Wemby can catch. I've always hated this guy but he did try to fit in with the Warriors and not make it all about him this year.

Yeah I agree with most of the points, but he won't be expensive. His upcoming contract year isn't fully guaranteed and if he becomes available it will be via a buyout where he gets that guaranteed money.

Also, when he was on OKC he was very much about getting those young players built up while proving he still had it. As already stated, he can get Wemby the ball where Wemby needs it. It will be hard to
stop a Wemby / CP3 lob-city attack.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:45 am

alienpick wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:He is.

Yeah I agree with most of the points, but he won't be expensive. His upcoming contract year isn't fully guaranteed and if he becomes available it will be via a buyout where he gets that guaranteed money.

Also, when he was on OKC he was very much about getting those young players built up while proving he still had it. As already stated, he can get Wemby the ball where Wemby needs it. It will be hard to

I just don't see the point of someone that old, at least not starting. I do like that Tre is about the same size so learning the craft from a savvy small vet can only help.

And from his pov, since he's already proven his worth since the OKC days, wouldn't he want a vet role on a contender?

I don't think this is an actual rumour though, it's just what a writer wrote 'could' happen. And it's inaccurate that we struggled at PG 'for most of the season'. Point-Sochan was a 20-game experiment. We tried Branham for some games at point as well (he started in 29 but that was a PG/SG split), and Tre ended up starting in 48 games, with whom we were 'far more effective'.

We need an upgrade in the size and 3 department at PG. Tre held his own and improved but his deficiencies are what they are. As are CP3's.

I think it's speculation season, and with that come article clicks.

I think if you're a betting fan, though, we have a better chance of wanting CP3 than wanting Murray back lol
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,280

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:21 am

G R E Y wrote:
alienpick wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

I just don't see the point of someone that old, at least not starting. I do like that Tre is about the same size so learning the craft from a savvy small vet can only help.

And from his pov, since he's already proven his worth since the OKC days, wouldn't he want a vet role on a contender?

I don't think this is an actual rumour though, it's just what a writer wrote 'could' happen. And it's inaccurate that we struggled at PG 'for most of the season'. Point-Sochan was a 20-game experiment. We tried Branham for some games at point as well (he started in 29 but that was a PG/SG split), and Tre ended up starting in 48 games, with whom we were 'far more effective'.

We need an upgrade in the size and 3 department at PG. Tre held his own and improved but his deficiencies are what they are. As are CP3's.

I think it's speculation season, and with that come article clicks.

I think if you're a betting fan, though, we have a better chance of wanting CP3 than wanting Murray back lol

I never said he had to start. But if we don't get any other PG's he would be the best one on the roster by far.
He would never last a full season starting anyway. He's proven that over and over.

But how many games did we sit through this year where we were actually competing but then went through a long spell of turnovers, low BBIQ and not being able to score in a Hooters?

At least Paul could be inserted at those times to settle things down and make sure we get some baskets instead of us falling apart and forgetting Wemby is even out there while everyone tries to play hero ball unsuccessfully.

I'm not saying I really want Paul here but it is something to ponder if we want to win some games.

Also he may be the cheapest option.

Return to Wiretap Discussion