LeBron James Expected To Play Up To 2 More Seasons; Lakers Open To Drafting Bronny James

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

LeBron James Expected To Play Up To 2 More Seasons; Lakers Open To Drafting Bronny James 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:06 am

LeBron James is expected to play up to two more seasons in the NBA, sources told Shams Charania, Jovan Buha, and Sam Amick of The Athletic.

The Lakers are open to offering James any deal to return, including a three-year, $164 million max extension.

James has a $51.4 million player option for next season.

The Lakers are also open to the idea of drafting Bronny James.

James' relationship with Jeanie Buss is described as being "better than ever."

Via Shams Charania, Jovan Buha, Sam Amick/The Athletic

Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 902

Re: LeBron James Expected To Play Up To 2 More Seasons; Lakers Open To Drafting Bronny James 

Post#2 » by Roy T » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:02 am

I think he should hang em up in LA. But drafting his son… Maybe in the second round…

Giving him a full max for three years is setting up the team for mediocrity, I don’t know if that’s in their mutual interest.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 106

Re: LeBron James Expected To Play Up To 2 More Seasons; Lakers Open To Drafting Bronny James 

Post#3 » by dubbmotta » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:39 am

Roy T wrote:I think he should hang em up in LA. But drafting his son… Maybe in the second round…

Giving him a full max for three years is setting up the team for mediocrity, I don’t know if that’s in their mutual interest.

I don’t Ms. Buss cares about winning, I think they care about making money and Bron is a big ticket. She did the same at the end of Kobe’s career.
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 84

Post#4 » by elmdawgg69 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:48 am

Lakers should be able to take Bronny at 56. I don’t see any team picking him because he’s a college basketball bench player at best.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#5 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:26 pm

Watch some team draft Bronny before 56 and end up trading him to the Lakers for a future 1st. Would a team actually do that you think? :lol:
t-rexCity
Junior
And1: 82

Post#6 » by t-rexCity » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:33 pm

I don't get it but why? They're not winning anything. They don't have assets to trade away and they tried every possible move with coach changes, player movements. It's the end of the line for LeBron and Lakers. Either they trade him or AD. Time to restart. This Lakers team is done.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 157

Post#7 » by BigHustle » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:08 pm

moocow007 wrote:Watch some team draft Bronny before 56 and end up trading him to the Lakers for a future 1st. Would a team actually do that you think? :lol:

Danny, looking at you here.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,202

Post#8 » by Wallace_Wallace » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:56 pm

BigHustle wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Watch some team draft Bronny before 56 and end up trading him to the Lakers for a future 1st. Would a team actually do that you think? :lol:

Utah taking him would be the funniest thing ever. LeBron is not going to Utah, and imagine Danny asking for AD for a trade like this would be biggest troll job in the history of the NBA.

Utah would have Bronny in the G-league the whole time
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,051

Post#9 » by knicks94 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:24 pm

Why not that same team just draft Bronny in the first round instead of wasting a pick for him?
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,426

Post#10 » by levon » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:35 pm

He's gonna play 2 more and retire after 23 years, his number. But this wiretap is so funny, he's expected to play _up to_ but Lakers willing to offer him 3.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 732

Post#11 » by Barcs » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:15 pm

Lebron should go back to the Cavs.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,126

Post#12 » by Zeno » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:17 pm

levon wrote:He's gonna play 2 more and retire after 23 years, his number. But this wiretap is so funny, he's expected to play _up to_ but Lakers willing to offer him 3.

He should just change his number to his age going into each season.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,054

Post#13 » by mg » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:30 pm

BigHustle wrote:

Bronny doesn't have to sign in Utah (or wherever). Utah has the 29th and 32nd picks but Ainge isn't going to pass on a legit prospect to draft Bronny. Ainge also has a few Klutch clients on his roster and isn't going to stir up that beehive.

As usual the Lakers probably buy a mid 2nd and pick Bronny at that point. It's the same thing the Cavs did when they drafted Mobley's brother out of USC 2 years ago. Isaiah Mobley wasn't a real prospect either but still had more talent than Bronny. Of course the ESPN's of the world are going to play this narrative up for clicks all the way until the draft.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,054

Post#14 » by mg » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:32 pm

levon wrote:He's gonna play 2 more and retire after 23 years, his number. But this wiretap is so funny, he's expected to play _up to_ but Lakers willing to offer him 3.

Yeah the Lakers are so desperate they are going to pay Lebron an additional $55 mil for a 3rd season he won't even play. That's even worse than the last Kobe contract.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,225

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:37 pm

mg wrote:

Yeah the Lakers are so desperate they are going to pay Lebron an additional $55 mil for a 3rd season he won't even play. That's even worse than the last Kobe contract.

If he retires he doesn't get paid.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#16 » by closg00 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:47 pm

The Lakers are just kicking the can down the road, holding onto a few more Bron spotlight years before they have to do a rebuild.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:57 pm

mg wrote:
BigHustle wrote:

Bronny doesn't have to sign in Utah (or wherever). Utah has the 29th and 32nd picks but Ainge isn't going to pass on a legit prospect to draft Bronny. Ainge also has a few Klutch clients on his roster and isn't going to stir up that beehive.

As usual the Lakers probably buy a mid 2nd and pick Bronny at that point. It's the same thing the Cavs did when they drafted Mobley's brother out of USC 2 years ago. Isaiah Mobley wasn't a real prospect either but still had more talent than Bronny. Of course the ESPN's of the world are going to play this narrative up for clicks all the way until the draft.

If Bronny want's to play in the NBA, he can only sign with the team that owns his draft rights. If no teams pull any shenanigans (and I think they should) Bronny will go undrafted and will be able to accept an invitation from any training camp. It's doubtful he would get drafted or get a single invite if he wasn't Lebron's kid.

LAL has the 55th pick. BOS has the 54th pick and they clearly aren't in player development mode. If I'm BOS, I would definitely try to trade #54 to LAL for a pick a few years down the road, after Lebron is retired and AD is washed. Other teams may do the same. I am hoping for shenanigans! :lol:
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 230

Post#18 » by cheese318 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:56 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
mg wrote:
BigHustle wrote:Danny, looking at you here.

If Bronny want's to play in the NBA, he can only sign with the team that owns his draft rights. If no teams pull any shenanigans (and I think they should) Bronny will go undrafted and will be able to accept an invitation from any training camp. It's doubtful he would get drafted or get a single invite if he wasn't Lebron's kid.

LAL has the 55th pick. BOS has the 54th pick and they clearly aren't in player development mode. If I'm BOS, I would definitely try to trade #54 to LAL for a pick a few years down the road, after Lebron is retired and AD is washed. Other teams may do the same. I am hoping for shenanigans! :lol:

Personally think LBJ signing in LAL would be a mistake but it hasn’t been about winning for quite sometime. He would have signed in PHI in 2018 if it truly was about winning. That team was ultimately set up better to win out of the gate and had so much more to offer. LAL winning the Covid title helps the cause but so many people disregard the title almost like KD’s rings in GSW. AD getting hurt against PHX the following playoffs really just dismantled this roster. They could/should have beat PHX. Then ya never if they win a second championship. Instead they trade for Russ because LBJ/AD are morons. Pelinka put an end to their reign of demanding trades. I highly doubt Pelinka will give up anything of significance to make sure they get Bronnie besides using their own picks or a slight trade up.

Did the Lakers make a mistake not adding Kyrie? Would have cost a ton but as good as Reaves is you can sense they are clearly missing a 3rd star on this team. If LBJ is to leave which I highly doubt because he’s not giving up $100M and not many teams can really offer him that kind of money. What team truly would convince him to leave? PHI, NYK, CLE or MIA? I wonder if PG13 regrets not signing with LAL in 2018 over staying OKC with Russell Westbrook
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#19 » by haste10176 » Wed May 1, 2024 12:34 am

cheese318 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
mg wrote:

Personally think LBJ signing in LAL would be a mistake but it hasn’t been about winning for quite sometime. He would have signed in PHI in 2018 if it truly was about winning. That team was ultimately set up better to win out of the gate and had so much more to offer. LAL winning the Covid title helps the cause but so many people disregard the title almost like KD’s rings in GSW. AD getting hurt against PHX the following playoffs really just dismantled this roster. They could/should have beat PHX. Then ya never if they win a second championship. Instead they trade for Russ because LBJ/AD are morons. Pelinka put an end to their reign of demanding trades. I highly doubt Pelinka will give up anything of significance to make sure they get Bronnie besides using their own picks or a slight trade up.

Did the Lakers make a mistake not adding Kyrie? Would have cost a ton but as good as Reaves is you can sense they are clearly missing a 3rd star on this team. If LBJ is to leave which I highly doubt because he’s not giving up $100M and not many teams can really offer him that kind of money. What team truly would convince him to leave? PHI, NYK, CLE or MIA? I wonder if PG13 regrets not signing with LAL in 2018 over staying OKC with Russell Westbrook

Philly hasnt been past the second rd and Lebron won in 2020 lol.. As for bronny thats true but same for giannis brothers so this isnt new also doesn't make it right.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed May 1, 2024 6:14 pm

haste10176 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:If Bronny want's to play in the NBA, he can only sign with the team that owns his draft rights. If no teams pull any shenanigans (and I think they should) Bronny will go undrafted and will be able to accept an invitation from any training camp. It's doubtful he would get drafted or get a single invite if he wasn't Lebron's kid.

Philly hasnt been past the second rd and Lebron won in 2020 lol.. As for bronny thats true but same for giannis brothers so this isnt new also doesn't make it right.

The Antetokounmpo Bros are significantly better than Bronny, but the comp is still valid. What tends to get lost is how great of a college player you need to be to even have a shot in the NBA. College stars flame out all the time... and Bronny was no star.

Return to Wiretap Discussion