Raptors Plan To Trade Bruce Brown Jr. In Offseason

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 296

Raptors Plan To Trade Bruce Brown Jr. In Offseason 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 17, 2024 4:20 pm

The Toronto Raptors plan to pick up their $23 million option on Bruce Brown Jr. with the intent of trading him this offseason, sources tell Doug Smith of the Toronto Star.

The Raptors acquired Brown from the Indiana Pacers as part of the Pascal Siakam trade and discussed moving him at the trade deadline, but no deal materialized.

The Raptors are believed to be motivated to trade Brown in the offseason rather than at the 2025 trade deadline. Brown had a somewhat disappointing tenure with the Raptors. Brown revealed after the season that he was dealing with a knee issue.

Via Doug Smith/Toronto Star

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 6,046

Re: Raptors Plan To Trade Bruce Brown Jr. In Offseason 

Post#2 » by spikeslovechild » Fri May 17, 2024 7:10 pm

offtherimhoops wrote:This will be interesting. Brown was a solid piece of the Nuggets championship team. The knee injury isn't great but there will be teams interested either way. I'd be curious to see an offer from the Sixers or maybe the Magic.

Zero interest as a sixers fan.
beefymajesto
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#3 » by beefymajesto » Fri May 17, 2024 7:59 pm

Couldn't find a deal at the deadline and hes played awful since, take a third round pick if its offered and move on.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,944

Post#4 » by deeps6x » Fri May 17, 2024 9:24 pm

Better yet, JUST DON"T PICK UP HIS OPTION!
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,661

Post#5 » by baldur » Fri May 17, 2024 10:05 pm

from a key role player on a championship team to a trash player who is loathed by two fan bases in one season. lol.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#6 » by J-Mezzy » Fri May 17, 2024 10:52 pm

baldur wrote:from a key role player on a championship team to a trash player who is loathed by two fan bases in one season. lol.

He wasn’t playing with Jokic
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,236

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat May 18, 2024 1:35 am

J-Mezzy wrote:
baldur wrote:from a key role player on a championship team to a trash player who is loathed by two fan bases in one season. lol.

He wasn’t playing with Jokic

If he wasn't trash before, he isn't trash now. He's pretty much the same player, statistically speaking. Situation matters. I could have told IND that if they had asked.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 152

Post#8 » by MitchB3 » Sat May 18, 2024 6:13 am

I say this most times, the agent or the player doesn't know what they have until they leave and go somewhere else. Sometimes taking a lesser amount of money can guarantee you long-term success.
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#9 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Sat May 18, 2024 3:00 pm

MitchB3 wrote:

I say this most times, the agent or the player doesn't know what they have until they leave and go somewhere else. Sometimes taking a lesser amount of money can guarantee you long-term success.

You'd give up $10M per to stay with a winning team? It's a business, right? Where would he ever make that money up? Den couldn't afford to pay him anywhere near his market value. He'll get traded to a better situation and have an opportunity to earn his next contract. Either way...he wins. I'd spend a year in purgatory to get that contract.
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore

Post#10 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Sat May 18, 2024 3:21 pm

deeps6x wrote:Better yet, JUST DON"T PICK UP HIS OPTION!

How is that better? He's worth an FRP to a good organization.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,989

Post#11 » by Cassius » Mon May 20, 2024 12:55 am

They should have flipped him the day they got his rights for a handful of second round picks.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 152

Post#12 » by MitchB3 » Wed May 22, 2024 4:28 pm

Sweet Meat Lew wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

You'd give up $10M per to stay with a winning team? It's a business, right? Where would he ever make that money up? Den couldn't afford to pay him anywhere near his market value. He'll get traded to a better situation and have an opportunity to earn his next contract. Either way...he wins. I'd spend a year in purgatory to get that contract.

So you would spend a year in purgatory to get a temp deal when you can stay in a winning situation and when they have the opportunity to pay you, they'll do right by you? Brown forgot that he was asking Mike Malone to give him a chance, and Malone was sure we could use your expertise.
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Fri May 24, 2024 2:45 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
Sweet Meat Lew wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

So you would spend a year in purgatory to get a temp deal when you can stay in a winning situation and when they have the opportunity to pay you, they'll do right by you? Brown forgot that he was asking Mike Malone to give him a chance, and Malone was sure we could use your expertise.

That's the thing. They can't pay him then or now or later with the new CBA. They have to look hard at moving MPJ this offseason to try and bolster their line up to come back next year as a real contender. You are thinking about the game as a fan but for him it's a business. He has a small window to make as much money as he can and none of would walk away from an extra $10M per year. You also can't give up that kinda money expecting an organization to "do right by you." No team in the league is gonna overpay a role player as a nice gesture or to reward loyalty

Return to Wiretap Discussion