Scott Boras Suggests Luxury-Tax Exclusion For MLB\'s Middle Class

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Scott Boras Suggests Luxury-Tax Exclusion For MLB\'s Middle Class 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:06 pm

Major League players have begun to question current MLB Players Association leadership, largely because of an eroding \"middle class.\"

That is the group of players good enough to remain in the Majors, but not good enough to be rewarded with a long-term or otherwise lucrative contract.

Scott Boras has found himself in the midst of the MLBPA controversy, with some players alleging that Bruce Meyer is too \"ideologically aligned\" with the high-profile agent.

During Blake Snell\'s introductory press conference with the San Francisco Giants, Boras offered a suggestion to fix the issue.

\"I think having veterans in the clubhouse is very important for young players. They create better winning environments because they are more familiar with the league,\" Boras told The Score\'s Travis Sawchik. \"I think there are players in that age group, 32 or so, they should have a luxury-tax exclusion. An amount of $15 million on down, if you sign a veteran player in that age bracket, they are excluded from your luxury tax. 

\"That would put those players in their own category. The prohibition is (because) those players are usually added late, and the owners are saying, \'Because of my tax situation, I am not going to sign this player.\'\"

Via R.J. Anderson/CBS Sports

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Re: Scott Boras Suggests Luxury-Tax Exclusion For MLB\'s Middle Class 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:09 pm

Desperation is a stinky cologne.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 776

Post#3 » by donemilio21 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:48 pm

TheCage4 wrote:Desperation is a stinky cologne.

haha that's what I was thinking.

If anything, players on the 60-Day IL should not count towards tax.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#4 » by cheese318 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:23 pm

I actually like this idea but I would limit it to 1-2 players per team that can have this designation so you do not have any one specifically doing this for a big portion of their roster
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion