Dodgers See \'More Engaging\' Shohei Ohtani With Mizuhara Gone

Moderator: TyCobb

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dodgers See \'More Engaging\' Shohei Ohtani With Mizuhara Gone 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:47 am

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Roberts believes the absence of interpreter Ippei Mizuhara may actually help Shohei Ohtani.

\"Actually, I would argue that it\'s going to help relationships internally, because there\'s no longer a buffer,\" Roberts said. \"I\'ve already seen it. The last couple days, I think Shohei\'s been even more engaging with his teammates, and I think there\'s only upside with that.\"

Mizuhara, who came with Ohtani to the United States more than six years ago and became one of his closest friends, was fired by the Dodgers last Wednesday in the wake of media inquiries surrounding at least $4.5 million in wire transfers sent from Ohtani\'s bank account to a Southern California bookmaking operation that is under federal investigation.

The Dodgers will use Will Ireton, the team\'s manager for performance operations, to interpret for Ohtani over the short-term. Ireton, whom Roberts called a \"secret weapon,\" was initially brought in to interpret for Kenta Maeda and has been assisting in advance work on the pitching and hitting sides in recent years.

Ireton, however, won\'t be around as often as Mizuhara, who hardly ever left Ohtani\'s side. To some on the Dodgers, Mizuhara\'s presence felt burdensome, even if that wasn\'t his intention. Roberts, with a wry smile, admitted that it was \"difficult\" to constantly go through Mizuhara to access Ohtani.

Via Alden Gonzalez/ESPN

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion