Bears Want $2.3B In Public Funding For New Stadium Project

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bears Want $2.3B In Public Funding For New Stadium Project 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:48 pm

The Chicago Bears are set to unveil plans on Wednesday for a new stadium, but details of the proposed deal have already been revealed by the Chicago Tribune.

The report states that the total project will cost $4.6 billion. The Bears are willing to cover half the costs, with public money covering the other half.

The stadium is expected to cost $3.2 billion. The infrastructure improvements are expected to cost $1.4 billion.

The final figures will very likely be higher.

Via Mike Florio/Pro Football Talk

Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 470

Re: Bears Want $2.3B In Public Funding For New Stadium Project 

Post#2 » by Future Coach » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:34 pm

Oh, only $2.3B from tax payers? I'm sure that CHI doesn't need that $ for school funding or anything like that...
saltybs
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#3 » by saltybs » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:53 pm

Haven't we decided as a society that this is BS? Like, how many days a year is a football stadium even programmed? You have 9 home games, maybe a playoff game or two if you're lucky, and perhaps a handful of concerts. $2.4B for 15-20 days of use "legitimate" use per year. Sure, they'll stick a high school state championship game in there, but that's with 3/4 of the seats empty.

The public subsidizing of NFL stadiums is just insane to me. It basically amounts to a give-away not just to the owners, but also to the upper class in a given locality, as that's who is going and "benefiting" - see, corporate box suite improvements, etc etc. I don't think the upgrades to the upper-deck bathroom concourses really move the needle for the "everyman" who is already emptying their monthly budget to go to one of these games.

I really doubt most people in a given market really care about a new stadium. They watch the team on TV! The game looks the same to them either way. So who cares?

Just a gross use of public funds.

And for what it's worth, basketball arenas can at least be programmed for a much wider variety of public uses.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 69

Post#4 » by niha17 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:57 am

Chicago has enough problems they dont need a stadium they could use almost everything else
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,729

Post#5 » by Clav » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:54 am

That's too much and cities need to stop this practice. The rich owners can pay
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion