Gary Bettman Says NHL Will Remain Patient With Coyotes Arena Bid

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Gary Bettman Says NHL Will Remain Patient With Coyotes Arena Bid 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:04 pm

The Arizona Coyotes\' success at an upcoming land auction could determine whether they remain in the greater Phoenix area.

Earlier this month, the Arizona State Land Department Board of Appeals unanimously approved a $68.5 million appraisal of a 95-acre parcel of land in north Phoenix that Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo is expected to bid on as the location for the team\'s new arena. The land must be advertised publicly now for 10 weeks before the auction can take place, likely in mid-June.

Via ESPN.com

Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Re: Gary Bettman Says NHL Will Remain Patient With Coyotes Arena Bid 

Post#2 » by Dennis 37 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:09 am

Of course they will. Won't put a franchise in Quebec but will put up with a team that went bankrupt in 2009 and in financial difficulty ever since because America.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#3 » by cheese318 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:14 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:Of course they will. Won't put a franchise in Quebec but will put up with a team that went bankrupt in 2009 and in financial difficulty ever since because America.

Completely agree it has been proven that Arizona is just not a good fanbase for NHL. Then I see rumors of Atlanta being a city that would be a relocation possibility but how does everyone not remember how awful Atlanta Thrashers came to be. I am guessing NHL is worried about the over consumption of the Canadian market by adding a new team but I do not recall any new Canadian teams in quite some time. Quebec lost out when they moved to Colorado. Can we confirm if that was ownership decision or was the team fanbase no longer showing up to games? What was awful about that relocation is Quebec was armed with an amazing young talent in Peter Forsberg teaming up with in his prime Joe Sakic & the great Patrick Roy. They would then go on to win multiple Stanley Cups right after the relocation. I highly doubt Patrick Roy would have been traded from Montreal to Quebec so that revisionist history would most likely have a different story if they never leave Quebec
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#4 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:41 pm

cheese318 wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:Of course they will. Won't put a franchise in Quebec but will put up with a team that went bankrupt in 2009 and in financial difficulty ever since because America.

Completely agree it has been proven that Arizona is just not a good fanbase for NHL. Then I see rumors of Atlanta being a city that would be a relocation possibility but how does everyone not remember how awful Atlanta Thrashers came to be. I am guessing NHL is worried about the over consumption of the Canadian market by adding a new team but I do not recall any new Canadian teams in quite some time. Quebec lost out when they moved to Colorado. Can we confirm if that was ownership decision or was the team fanbase no longer showing up to games? What was awful about that relocation is Quebec was armed with an amazing young talent in Peter Forsberg teaming up with in his prime Joe Sakic & the great Patrick Roy. They would then go on to win multiple Stanley Cups right after the relocation. I highly doubt Patrick Roy would have been traded from Montreal to Quebec so that revisionist history would most likely have a different story if they never leave Quebec

A lot of it had to do with the weak Canadian dollar at that time. However, Bettman's attitude toward Canada is that all of Canada watches hockey, so putting another team in Quebec doesn't create new fans, it just rewards current fans.

I disagree. In parts of Canada people have stopped being hockey fans because the ticket prices are insane. Much higher than in the US because demand is much higher. This turns off fans. I have moved on to basketball because I can go to a Raptors game for a reasonable price.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion