What grade do you give the Nets for their trade for Garnett-Pierce?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

What grade do you give the Nets for their trade for Garnett-Pierce? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:04 pm

1. A
2. B
3. C
4. D
5. F
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,622

Re: What grade do you give the Nets for their trade for Garn 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:15 pm

A

The Nets get two future HOFers, another terrific role player, and all they gave up were bad contracts. Wow.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#3 » by arasu » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:57 am

Steve Nash is a HOFer yet look at how much he helped the Lakers in 2012-13. The Nets made this trade to make a big showy splash with big names that could sell more tickets. But I'll be surprised if they go deep in the playoffs next season, and very surprised if they win it all. They gave up valuable unprotected future 1st round picks for 3 nearly retired guys, not a good move unless they end up with a championship. It does put the Nets that much closer to an appearance in the Finals, but they are still 1 serious Deron Williams injury away from missing the playoffs. The Nets have zero chance of keeping their own pick if it goes number 1 in '14, '15, '16, and '18, so they better hope they stay healthy enough to make the playoffs in those years. The best part of this move for the Nets was not the players they added, but the removal of the ridiculous contract of Wallace. That part of the deal saved the Nets from a failing grade. If KG and Pierce don't bring rings to the Nets, at least the Nets will be able to reload with free agents soon enough, without Wallace's contract getting in the way. Prokhorov has made it clear that his team is going to be assembled through trades and free-agency with his deep pockets giving them the edge, and that picking up high draft picks from losing is unthinkable. The new CBA makes this method of team building very risky, but so far it hasn't completely backfired on the Nets. I gave this trade a much deserved grade of C for the Nets.
boston_fan_ct
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#4 » by boston_fan_ct » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:59 pm

actually, the Nets are talking a huge risk. they are betting that they can win a title this year, or perhaps next. having watched almost every game last year of the Celtics, Garnett was unable to play every game or full minutes due to what I assume was an injury. He is 37. I believe he has 2 years at most left to play while he still is playing at a high level. Pierce is 35, going on 36 and I believe last year he took a step back due to age or perhaps an injury as well. I see him done in 2 years as well. Jet, not so impressed with him watchign him last year, can hit the big shot but pretty much a role player. So, the Nets need to win in the next 2 years, and as they stand now they 3rd at best in the depth charts behind the heat, and the bulls with a healty Rose. They have mortgaged the future for the next 2 years. While I look at it as a bold move, I also look at it as a very shortsighted move, the 16, and 18 unproteted picks could end up being high picks, and if they take a step back which I predict this will severly limit their ability to rebuild. So, I am not so high on this move for the Nets. i would not have done it because I dont think they will beat Miami. I will be pulling for the Nets tho becuase I like PP and KG. starting in 16, I will be rooting against. makes for a more interesting year.
Mr_President
Senior
And1: 289

Post#5 » by Mr_President » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:28 pm

boston_fan_ct wrote:actually, the Nets are talking a huge risk. they are betting that they can win a title this year, or perhaps next. having watched almost every game last year of the Celtics, Garnett was unable to play every game or full minutes due to what I assume was an injury. He is 37. I believe he has 2 years at most left to play while he still is playing at a high level. Pierce is 35, going on 36 and I believe last year he took a step back due to age or perhaps an injury as well. I see him done in 2 years as well. Jet, not so impressed with him watchign him last year, can hit the big shot but pretty much a role player. So, the Nets need to win in the next 2 years, and as they stand now they 3rd at best in the depth charts behind the heat, and the bulls with a healty Rose. They have mortgaged the future for the next 2 years. While I look at it as a bold move, I also look at it as a very shortsighted move, the 16, and 18 unproteted picks could end up being high picks, and if they take a step back which I predict this will severly limit their ability to rebuild. So, I am not so high on this move for the Nets. i would not have done it because I dont think they will beat Miami. I will be pulling for the Nets tho becuase I like PP and KG. starting in 16, I will be rooting against. makes for a more interesting year.

You make great points on the 16' and 18' picks. They could end up being very high. I voted C in the poll but in actuality its more like a C+. Ainge knew what he was doing going for the 2016' and 2018' picks. Best Nets can hope for is to win a ring immediately and gain the cap space through KG and Pierce simultaneous retirements.

With that said if I'm Billy King, I still do make the trade. Good points tho boston_fan_c

Return to Polls Discussion