MD 43.0: "Who Wants To Be A Moderator?"/Moderator Bashing, Special Ranks, "Beat Howard Mass"

The Happenings On The RealGM Forums With Administrator Howard Mass
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,655

MD 43.0: "Who Wants To Be A Moderator?"/Moderator Bashing, Special Ranks, "Beat Howard Mass" 

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:35 am

Mass Dispatch 43.0

In this edition of Mass Dispatch, I am simply going to rundown some happenings and issues across the RealGM Forums.

They include...........

- The "Who Wants To Be A Moderator?" Invitational
- Attacking/Bashing Moderators
- General NBA Board Strike Amnesty Period
- Two great Global Moderators Retire
- Users Awarded Special Ranks
- Olympics Forum
- "Beat The Commish" NFL Picks Against the spread returns
- How I turned my heartbreak into where I am today

“Who Wants To Be A Moderator?”

Mass Dispatch will have it's 4th “Who Wants To Be A Moderator? Invitational” but this time it's going to be different.

The Winner will have a wide range of forums for which they can interview for a Moderator position including one NBA Team Forum.

To make things interesting, applicants can simply apply to be a Moderator without listing a specific forum.

Just send me a PM titled : “Mass Dispatch Who Wants To Be a Moderator? Invitational”

Then just list the forum you would like to apply for if you want to apply for a specific one and why you are the best person to join The RealGM Moderator Team.

Applicants will be accepted until Friday August 19 at 11:59 PM EST.

The winning applicant will win an interview with me for a chance to become a Moderator..

I will announce my decision in the next edition of Mass Dispatch.

I look forward to seeing all of the applicants and if one of you will become the next RealGM Moderator.

Attacking/Bashing Moderators

Recently, several incidents of Moderator bashing either directly or in forum conversations have occurred.

One incident was a group of Users on a team forum trashing a Moderator and one of those Users challenged this Moderator to a fight. They were banned and other Users were suspended.

This one was a result of Users being disgruntled not only with our General NBA Board Policy but because they felt their fanbase was being treated unfairly.

While this was certainly not the way to do this, General NBA Board, New York Knicks co-Senior Moderator and Global Moderator magnumt is working on solutions.

Another problem has been Users on our General Off-Topic Board thinking they can bash Moderators on that forum. This is definitely not the case and the hammer is going to be dropped if I see it again.

Finally, the most troubling trend has been Users sending inappropriate PM's to Moderators. In fact, one User sent a PM to a Moderator calling them a white supremacist.

These are all unacceptable and Users who decide to bash a Moderator on any RealGM Forum will have action taken against their account.

If anyone has a problem with a Moderator, simply send me a PM.

General NBA Board Strike Amnesty Period

It is that time of year again.

The Summer Strike Amnesty Period started Monday August 1 and will run until Thursday September 1.

I have posted a thread on our General NBA Board that explains everything and where Users can ask questions.

Here are the rules.......

Who is eligible?

- Users with one strike 
- Users who have Successfully Appealed Read-Only Access and have two strikes.

Who is Not?

- Users with Read-Only Access
- Users with full General NBA Board Bans

Other Important Notes

- Strikes committed during The Amnesty Period August 1- September 1 are not eligible to be appealed during this time.

- Each User is allowed only one appeal and it must be sent between August 1 and September 1

- To appeal, users must have no other infractions on The RealGM Forums for the past 6 months from the day the appeal is sent.

- For Information on what our General NBA Forum Moderator Appeals Committee is looking for in each appeal, be sure to read Mass Dispatch 3.0 on The Mass Dispatch Forum.

NO-KG-AI and Miller31time

Over the past couple of months, two of the best Global Moderators in RealGM History, NO-KG-AI and miller31time have retired.

Both played a big role in improving the RealGM Forums during their tenures.

Before becoming Global Moderators, they had the tough task of moderating on our General NBA Board. Before time took them away from the forum, they were two of the best.

More importantly, NO-KG-AI and Miller31time both influenced the way some things are done behind the scenes for the better.

They made me a better administrator and the Forums are better because of their service.

I would like to thank miller31time and NO-KG-AI and encourage everyone to thank them for making our Forums a better place.

Special Ranks

You might have noticed some of your fellow Users recently were awarded Special Ranks.

Our Phoenix Suns Forum has led the way here with Special Ranks awarded to the following Users.

Jelly Rolling - Suns forum game thread guru
GMATCallahan - Suns forum historian
NTB - Suns forum news guru
darealjuice - Suns forum rookie of the year
STEV13 - Suns forum mock draft champion

More forums are going to be following suit as the regular season approaches.

Def Swami of The Orlando Magic Forum will be awarded a Special Rank in the next edition of Mass Dispatch and Users from other forums are likely not far behind.

Olympics Forum

The Olympics are under way and our Olympics Forum has been unearthed for The Rio Games.

It is in our other sports section and will be moderated by Houston Rockets Moderator Mr. E.

"Beat The Commish"

"Beat The Commish" is returning for a third season this fall. Phoenix Suns Moderator bwgood77 and Dallas Mavericks Moderator Dirk Nowitzki will be running the competition this season.

The format will be picking against the spread for NFL Games like last year.

If anyone is interested in trying to dethrone Wo1verine as Champion, please declare your intentions on The ""Beat The Commish" Forum Sign-up thread.

viewtopic.php?f=452&t=1470386

On a side note, three Users who participated last year got noticed and went on to become Moderators.

ATL Boy (Atlanta Hawks), Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas Mavericks) and NyCeEvO (Brooklyn Nets).

It's always great to have fun doing this each week and it shows it's never a bad thing to get my attention.

Turning the heartbreak of your favorite player leaving town into something great

You know what recently passed?

The 20th Anniversary of the the most devastating day in Orlando Magic history and one of the worst days of my life.

I still remember just about everything I did that day.

My mom came into my room and said "He's Gone".

I couldn't believe it. I waited for the local news and of course the TWA crash was the top story so I had to wait for a few minutes until they got to it.

They did confirm the news and went to go get the paper the either before or afterwards and people were talking about it in the Handy Way. I stood their devastated.

The Press Conference was heartbreaking seeing him hold up that Los Angeles Lakers Jersey was devastating.

The player that helped get so many fans to notice basketball in Central Florida in the early 90's had broken my heart and left for The Los Angeles Lakers.

All the haters who pretended to be Magic fans because they were bandwagoners or had rich families that just cared because they got good tickets had their predictions come true as Shaquille O'Neal had left for L.A.

I immediately threw all of my Shaq stuff out of my room.

It was one of the worst days of my life.

However, after that happened, I never stopped being a Magic fan and made it more of a point to keep track of salaries via my Salary and contracts book and then keep track of each team's Draft Pick situation.

Four years later, I was trying to compile that list of each team's Draft Pick Situation and found out about a site that was launching in the fall called RealGM. Apparently, they will also compiling their own list.

After a few weeks of correspondence with a guy named Ryan Hoak, the rest was history.

This is going to be a very tough year for Oklahoma City Thunder fans. It is not easy to lose a star player and a lot of you will always remember the day Kevin Durant bolted town. Going from a championship contender to a playoff team is tougher than you think.

My point is do not let what Kevin Durant decided to change you as a fan. Let it make you a stronger fan and you never know where that can lead you.

Contact Mass Dispatch

If you have a question, feedback, feel a user, thread or Moderator should be recognized or something they would like to see in Mass Dispatch, please post it on The Mass Dispatch Forum or send me a PM. You could even send me a note on Twitter @homassrealgm
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Re: MD 43.0: "Who Wants To Be A Moderator?"/Moderator Bashing, Special Ranks, "Beat Howard Mass" 

Post#2 » by Wo1verine » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:35 am

"Beat The Commish" has finally arrived and I'm very excited about this year and expecting more people this time around!

PS: Thumbs up to now retired mods, NO-KG-AI and Miller31time! Awesome job, guys!
BrunoSkull
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: MD 43.0: "Who Wants To Be A Moderator?"/Moderator Bashing, Special Ranks, "Beat Howard Mass" 

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:57 am

Wo1verine wrote:"Beat The Commish" has finally arrived and I'm very excited about this year and expecting more people this time around!

PS: Thumbs up to now retired mods, NO-KG-AI and Miller31time! Awesome job, guys!

I look forward to once again finishing so far behind you and the other leaders in the standings that you probably didn't even know that I participated! ;)
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#4 » by Mr. E » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:59 am

Thank you, Howard Mass, for allowing me to be a moderator for the Olympics Forum. I look forward to everyone who chooses to join in the discussion!

You can find the forum right here: viewforum.php?f=335
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#5 » by bondom34 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:33 am

Enjoy your retirement NO-KG-AI and millertime!
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#6 » by ken6199 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:06 am

Btw, thanks for sharing that Shaq story, Howard. Congratulations on 20 years of Magic life!
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#7 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:23 am

NO-KG-AI and miller31time? :cry: Best wishes on your "retirement". You will be missed.

On a different note, I will Beat the Commish this year and take home the title. :D
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#8 » by KF10 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:49 am

NO-KG-AI and millertime we will miss you! Definitely one of the best we ever had!
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#9 » by magnumt » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:30 pm

Howard Mass wrote:NO-KG-AI and Miller31time

Over the past couple of months, two of the best Global Moderators in RealGM History, NO-KG-AI and miller31time have retired.

Both played a big role in improving the RealGM Forums during their tenures.

Before becoming Global Moderators, they had the tough task of moderating on our General NBA Board. Before time took them away from the forum, they were two of the best.

More importantly, NO-KG-AI and Miller31time both influenced the way some things are done behind the scenes for the better.

They made me a better administrator and the Forums are better because of their service.

I would like to thank miller31time and NO-KG-AI and encourage everyone to thank them for making our Forums a better place.

:sad: They will be missed indeed. :usa:

Oh, and:

:D

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#10 » by goober » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:25 pm

Howard that tragic story brought me to tears, glad it turned out well though!
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#11 » by SichtingLives » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm feeling the fight club vibe of this thread
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,903

Post#12 » by Sofia » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:39 am

SichtingLives wrote:

I'm feeling the fight club vibe of this thread

Party of Lemons
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 » by Howard Mass » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:12 am

Three Users have already applied for the "Who Wants To Be A Moderator?" Invitational.

I wonder which other Users with Moderator aspirations will throw their hat in the ring.

RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,506

Post#14 » by RIPskaterdude » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:58 am

wow howard i was literally holding my breath for you to make a new mass dispatch, thank you for saving my life
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,484

Post#15 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:43 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:wow howard i was literally holding my breath for you to make a new mass dispatch, thank you for saving my life

Hey he squeezed in three in the past year...two since last season started....he's a busy man.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#16 » by goober » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:56 am

mass dispatch is my favorite, Howard's even saving lives. what a great guy!!
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#17 » by Howard Mass » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:58 am

Five Users have now applied for the "Who Wants To Be A Moderator?" Invitational.

The deadline to apply is Friday at 11:59 PM EST.

Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,403

Post#18 » by Danny Darko » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 am

NO-KG-AI and miller31time??? What... damnit old moderators don't retire... they just smell that way.

Salute to those two. Lot's of good memories from interacting and just reading their posts. :clap:
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#19 » by Throwback24 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:17 pm

I've been told the world wants to see me as a mod.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#20 » by Howard Mass » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:38 pm

Throwback24 wrote:I've been told the world wants to see me as a mod.

Then, you should apply for the Invitational.

Return to Mass Dispatch