Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Canadian Premier League Soccer (CPL) Discussion Thread 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Feb 3, 2016 5:00 pm

Canadian pro soccer league to call Hamilton home

Hamilton will have a team, probably the flagship team, in the new Canadian Premier Soccer League which is expected to begin play as early as next year.

The league would likely be headquartered, or at least operated, out of Hamilton. If not next season, the team would begin play in 2018.

The revelation came during a Wednesday morning presentation to city councillors by John McGrane, seeking permission to erect a multimillion dollar bubble, paid for by Tiger-Cats owner Bob Young, over the playing field at Tim Hortons Field. The bubble, or dome, would be in place every year from December 1 to April 30.

McGrane's company, John McGrane Services, is a "small partner" with Bob Young in the bubble initiative. Young's company will own the soccer team outright.

The league — called the Canadian Premier League and fully sanctioned by FIFA, the sports global governing body — will start with six to eight teams with deep-pocketed ownership, including Young.

"Basically, it will be a CFL-NHL mix of ownership,"
McGrane told The Spectator.

He would not name which Canadian cities would have teams or who the prospective owners are.

McGrane did say an official announcement of the formation of the league would likely occur within four months.

"We want to Canadianize the whole league, not just the players," McGrane said. "We're looking at a whole culture of executives, managers and so forth. We don't want to import them."

While there will be foreign players in the league, there will also be a minimum quota of Canadian players each team is required to use. Major League Soccer, the top North American league which has teams in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, has a North American quota, but no team is required to play Canadians.

The concept was first reported by The Spectator two years ago and if it is passed, as expected, at the Canadian Soccer Association's annual general meeting in May, the CSA will be a partner in the Canadian Premier League.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6261090-canadian-pro-soccer-league-to-call-hamilton-home/

Finally!!!

We are just four months away from the formation of a Canadian Premier Soccer League!!! A league that will have some deep pockets with owners being involved in both the CFL and NHL. 6 to 8 teams to start that will likely be in all the major cities across the country.

This is HUGE news for Canadian soccer fans, as it's always good to support local. It should also do wonders to our national program as we continue to develop Canadian players.

My guess on the Original 6 or 8

Hamilton
Ottawa
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Toronto
Vancouver
Montreal or Quebec City

If they wish to avoid MLS cities, they may move those teams to surrounding areas outside the heart of the city.
theaub
Senior
And1: 993

Re: Canadian Premier Soccer League (CPL) Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by theaub » Wed Feb 3, 2016 6:20 pm

Great success

The four CFL cities without pro soccer teams (Calgary/Regina/Winnipeg/Hamilton) are locks IMO, then its probably another team in Quebec and Ottawa. Rollins seems to indicate Toronto/Vancouver are the question marks so I'll defer to him on it.

Edmonton has seemed pretty content with NASL - think they stick around and then if the league expands in a few years it will be them + the remaining major Quebec city.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Feb 3, 2016 6:40 pm

theaub wrote:Great success

The four CFL cities without pro soccer teams (Calgary/Regina/Winnipeg/Hamilton) are locks IMO, then its probably another team in Quebec and Ottawa. Rollins seems to indicate Toronto/Vancouver are the question marks so I'll defer to him on it.

Edmonton has seemed pretty content with NASL - think they stick around and then if the league expands in a few years it will be them + the remaining major Quebec city.

I forgot about Regina.

1) Calgary
2) Regina
3) Winnipeg
4) Hamilton
5) Montreal/Quebec City
6) Ottawa

With both Edmonton and Toronto/Vancouver being question marks. I'm going to guess Edmonton will see the writing on the wall and join during launch. No way do they go back to being the lone NASL team in Canada.

Which just leaves Toronto or Vancouver.
theaub
Senior
And1: 993

Post#4 » by theaub » Wed Feb 3, 2016 6:52 pm

I forgot Victoria from my end, which seems like the logical Vancouver-area team since the Highlanders did OK there

I don't see how the league succeeds without a Toronto team. As MLSE continues to alienate TFC supporters with various Argo-related items think there might be a bit of a fanbase to be had.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Feb 3, 2016 8:15 pm

theaub wrote:I forgot Victoria from my end, which seems like the logical Vancouver-area team since the Highlanders did OK there

I don't see how the league succeeds without a Toronto team. As MLSE continues to alienate TFC supporters with various Argo-related items think there might be a bit of a fanbase to be had.

I agree Toronto is a must have city, but maybe the team will sit on the edge of Toronto in one of the suburbs. The league would have to find an outside investor though not tied to MLSE, and a suitable stadium. That's a big ask.
cocacola228
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#6 » by cocacola228 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:37 pm

It is a good news to have Canadian Premier League. and the league needs Toronto for sure.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:58 am

DETAILS ON CANADIAN PREMIER LEAGUE EMERGING

Canadian Soccer Association president Victor Montagliani says the Canadian Premier League will have a business plan by mid-year.

Asked what that plan entails, the CSA’s top boss wouldn’t go into specifics with the Toronto Sun.

“We’ve had a report done. Now we’re having a specific business plan as it relates to the stake holders we’ve been talking to,” he said.

“It’s not going to be based on anything we’ve ever had before. The reality is that a league that depends on bums in seats won’t survive.”

The much-talked about CPL will be a FIFA-sanctioned league backed by a combination of CFL and NHL owners that will likely begin play by 2018.

It will co-exist with Major League Soccer, which has clubs in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

“The type of stakeholders we’re talking to are serious people with serious ability and serious intent,” Montagliani said.

“This is not something that is mutually exclusive of MLS. This is inclusive.”

That said, an MLS source recently told the Sun they were disappointed in the lack of dialogue as it relates to the formation of a new all-Canadian league.

That’s not to say there won’t be benefits.

Canadian MLS clubs will finally have the option to loan players to fellow Canadian clubs outside international transfer windows.

Where those clubs will be located has yet to be announced, though Hamilton will likely house a flagship team.

The six to 10-club league could also feature clubs in B.C., Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg.

Montagliani said the “doors are open” to the NASL’s Ottawa Fury and FC Edmonton.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/16/montagliani-has-a-mountain-to-climb
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

It's coming!
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,517

Post#9 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:14 pm

I think you need a presence near the big cities of Canada. Maybe you don't put a team in Toronto, but you put one in Vaughan for example. Maybe Quebec City instead of Montreal, Victoria instead of Vancouver etc.

10 Team League would be awesome.

Hamilton
Vaughan
Quebec City
Victoria
Edmonton
Calgary
Regina
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Halifax
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:54 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:I think you need a presence near the big cities of Canada. Maybe you don't put a team in Toronto, but you put one in Vaughan for example. Maybe Quebec City instead of Montreal, Victoria instead of Vancouver etc.

10 Team League would be awesome.

Hamilton
Vaughan
Quebec City
Victoria
Edmonton
Calgary
Regina
Winnipeg
Ottawa
Halifax

I think they will likely start with 8 teams, and roll with that for the first few seasons. I also don't think they will go out East simply to save on travel costs. All just guesses, but it's fun to speculate.

1) Calgary
2) Edmonton
3) Regina
4) Winnipeg
5) Hamilton
6) Quebec City
7) Ottawa
8) Toronto Suburbs

With a team in the Vancouver area (Victoria), and possibly London, ON added in the future.
Aliasego
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#11 » by Aliasego » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:42 am

I'm not certain that Ottawa would be all that available. It has a current NASL team owned by the same group that runs both the CFL team and the stadium. The team seems to be fairly successful as well, so it might take some convincing to have Ottawa switch over.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:28 pm

Aliasego wrote:I'm not certain that Ottawa would be all that available. It has a current NASL team owned by the same group that runs both the CFL team and the stadium. The team seems to be fairly successful as well, so it might take some convincing to have Ottawa switch over.

Ottawa is leaving NASL next season already, as it waits for the Canadian Premier League.

They are already on board. Most of the owners in this new league will be attached to CFL teams.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by LittleOzzy » Tue May 9, 2017 12:51 am

Plans for new Canadian Premier League approved

Plans for a Canadian Premier League were approved by the country's soccer leaders this weekend, with founding cities announced for Hamilton and Winnipeg.

The league was officially unveiled at the Canadian Soccer Association's annual meeting, which also saw Steve Reed elected as president.

Though only two teams were initially revealed, Canada Soccer said they have heard from 10 cities interested in joining an all-Canadian league, with aims to begin playing as early as 2018.

Canada does not have its own league, with existing clubs playing in U.S.-based organizations -- Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver in MLS, Edmonton in the NASL and Ottawa in the USL.

Winnipeg FC's announcement said the league was aiming to be a "Tier 1 FIFA sanctioned soccer league," though MLS commissioner Don Garber said in March that he believed the CPL would form at a "lower division." Reports last year said the league would initially avoid cities with MLS teams.

Efforts to launch the league were led by Scott Mitchell, who's also the CEO of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League. The Winnipeg team is run by Wade Miller, president of the CFL's Blue Bombers. Both teams plan to play at CFL stadiums that have artificial turf.

http://www.espnfc.us/canada/story/3122014/plans-for-new-canadian-premier-league-approved

So excited that this is finally approved. New league coming in 2018.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Canadian Premier League Soccer (CPL) Discussion Thread 

Post#14 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:22 pm

The Canadian Premier League is finally here!!!
The league kicks off this Saturday on CBC, with all seven teams in action all summer long.

Cavalry FC (Calgary)
FC Edmonton
Forge FC (Hamilton)
HFX Wanderers (Halifax)
Pacific FC (Langford, BC)
Valour FC (Winnipeg)
York 9 FC (North York, ON)

Live broadcast coverage on CBC
Saturday, Apr. 27: York9 FC at Forge FC, 1 p.m. ET
Sunday, May 12: Cavalry FC at Forge FC, 1 p.m. ET
Saturday, May 25: Forge FC at York9 FC, 4 p.m. ET
Saturday, June 1: Pacific FC at HFX Wanderers FC, 2 p.m. ET
Saturday, June 15: Pacific FC at York9 FC, 12 p.m. ET
Saturday, July 27: Cavalry FC at Valour FC, 1 p.m. ET
Saturday, Aug. 10: Cavalry FC at HFX Wanderers FC, 1 p.m. ET
Saturday, Sept. 14: FC Edmonton at Pacific FC, 3 p.m. ET
Saturday, Sept. 21: Valour FC at HFX Wanderers FC, 1 p.m. ET
Saturday, Oct. 19: FC Edmonton at Cavalry FC, 4 p.m. ET

I'm so excited for our country to finally have it's own soccer league. It's going to make a huge difference for our National team too. Team Canada will benefit greatly from this league.

Don't forget to tune in tomorrow, CBC nation wide!

Return to Major League Soccer