Moderators: cupcakesnake, G R E Y, Doctor MJ

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,165

Re: 2024 WNBA Season Discussion Thread 

Post#21 » by cupcakesnake » Mon May 13, 2024 8:48 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Anyone else think it's strange that Nike is announcing A'ja getting a shoe, but it's not coming out until 2025? I'm not sure I've seen that before.

My guess? Nike had this in the works for awhile and let it leak once there was outcry that only Sabrina and Caitlin had signature shoes.

The whole thing is pretty embarassing for Nike, imo. They did this whole "you think we forgot?" campaign about her shoe and I feel like: Nike, it's pretty **** obvious you did forget. A'ja has been a star in this league since 2018, won her first MVP in 2020, is now the b2b champ and she's always had a big, positive personality.

Sabrina got a shoe in 2023 (4th year in the league, Taurasi 2005 (2nd year), Parker 2011 (4th year).
2025...? Her 8th year in the league. Even if they did have it in the works, they're way too late to not deserve some backlash here.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,174

Post#22 » by MrDollarBills » Mon May 13, 2024 9:14 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Anyone else think it's strange that Nike is announcing A'ja getting a shoe, but it's not coming out until 2025? I'm not sure I've seen that before.

My guess? Nike had this in the works for awhile and let it leak once there was outcry that only Sabrina and Caitlin had signature shoes.

The whole thing is pretty embarassing for Nike, imo. They did this whole "you think we forgot?" campaign about her shoe and I feel like: Nike, it's pretty **** obvious you did forget. A'ja has been a star in this league since 2018, won her first MVP in 2020, is now the b2b champ and she's always had a big, positive personality.

Sabrina got a shoe in 2023 (4th year in the league, Taurasi 2005 (2nd year), Parker 2011 (4th year).
2025...? Her 8th year in the league. Even if they did have it in the works, they're way too late to not deserve some backlash here.

Agreed.

This should have happened years ago.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#23 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 14, 2024 2:23 pm

Welcome Golden State Valkyries to the party!!!!

Read on Twitter

I'm pumped. It's not just the new team, but those 12 roster spots mean a LOT. So many players who are good end up getting cut because of the lack of opportunities. Between Golden State and Toronto, that means 24 more players will have jobs soon. Keep growing the league

wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,525

Post#24 » by wojoaderge » Tue May 14, 2024 6:41 pm

This is the first WNBA season I will be following since the initial one. I watched the very first WNBA game live in 1997. I instantly became a Sparks fan because they had 4 interesting bigs - Lisa Leslie, one of the Burge twins, a massive Chinese gal, and a backup center who could really pass the ball. But they had a very disappointing season and attention drifted away afterwards, not only from the WNBA, the NBA as well. From the women's games i've watched recently I seem to notice that it has a more offensive variety than the NBA, which frankly I find pretty boring right now. Am I mistaken in this assumption?
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#25 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 14, 2024 7:38 pm

wojoaderge wrote:This is the first WNBA season I will be following since the initial one. I watched the very first WNBA game live in 1997. I instantly became a Sparks fan because they had 4 interesting bigs - Lisa Leslie, one of the Burge twins, a massive Chinese gal, and a backup center who could really pass the ball. But they had a very disappointing season and attention drifted away afterwards, not only from the WNBA, the NBA as well. From the women's games i've watched recently I seem to notice that it has a more offensive variety than the NBA, which frankly I find pretty boring right now. Am I mistaken in this assumption?

I think today's WNBA is kind of like 80s NBA basketball but if they were aware of modern trends (bombing from 3). There are less outlier athletes that can gain separation from defenders at will, so team strategy pops a little bit more. There are still teams that play through a low post hub or play giant lineups, but there are also plenty of stretch 5s and teams that play 5 out. No such thing really as a helioccentric offense around a franchise player. Average offensive rating last year was 104 and average ppg was 84. It's still tilted more towards great defenses rather than great offenses.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#26 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 14, 2024 7:40 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Welcome Golden State Valkyries to the party!!!!

Read on Twitter

I'm pumped. It's not just the new team, but those 12 roster spots mean a LOT. So many players who are good end up getting cut because of the lack of opportunities. Between Golden State and Toronto, that means 24 more players will have jobs soon. Keep growing the league

I'm down with Valkyries as a mascot . Can't say I'm crazy about the logo but I might be more into it when it's not paired with all that text. I always like purple as a jersey color so can't go wrong there.

Read on Twitter

wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#27 » by wojoaderge » Tue May 14, 2024 7:55 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
wojoaderge wrote:This is the first WNBA season I will be following since the initial one. I watched the very first WNBA game live in 1997. I instantly became a Sparks fan because they had 4 interesting bigs - Lisa Leslie, one of the Burge twins, a massive Chinese gal, and a backup center who could really pass the ball. But they had a very disappointing season and attention drifted away afterwards, not only from the WNBA, the NBA as well. From the women's games i've watched recently I seem to notice that it has a more offensive variety than the NBA, which frankly I find pretty boring right now. Am I mistaken in this assumption?

I think today's WNBA is kind of like 80s NBA basketball but if they were aware of modern trends (bombing from 3). There are less outlier athletes that can gain separation from defenders at will, so team strategy pops a little bit more. There are still teams that play through a low post hub or play giant lineups, but there are also plenty of stretch 5s and teams that play 5 out. No such thing really as a helioccentric offense around a franchise player. Average offensive rating last year was 104 and average ppg was 84. It's still tilted more towards great defenses rather than great offenses.

That's what I suspected, excellent, thanks
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#28 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 14, 2024 8:13 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Welcome Golden State Valkyries to the party!!!!

Read on Twitter

I'm down with Valkyries as a mascot . Can't say I'm crazy about the logo but I might be more into it when it's not paired with all that text. I always like purple as a jersey color so can't go wrong there.

Read on Twitter

I like the color scheme. I'm glad they didn't try to make the team a carbon copy of the Warriors, the name Valkyries is enough of a nod to their brother franchise.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#29 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 14, 2024 8:20 pm

wojoaderge wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

That's what I suspected, excellent, thanks

If you're a pure hoops junkie, it gets no better than the W.

wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#30 » by wojoaderge » Tue May 14, 2024 9:17 pm

I really dislike that there is no real injured list in the WNBA. The Sky had to release Brynna Maxwell because of it. There is talk that they will resign her when she's healthy but who knows. I believe that's something they need to improve
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#31 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 14, 2024 9:48 pm

wojoaderge wrote:I really dislike that there is no real injured list in the WNBA. The Sky had to release Brynna Maxwell because of it. There is talk that they will resign her when she's healthy but who knows. I believe that's something they need to improve

It's coming. We gotta be patient. The great thing about the emergence of Caitlin Clark and this draft class is that it's opening people's eyes as to how underserved WNBA players are. Roster sizes need to be expanded to 15.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#32 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 14, 2024 9:53 pm

On another note, go Kelsey

Read on Twitter

Get that money. I also see that the league has partnered with Kim Kardashian's company SKIMS as well and she's apart of the ad campaign featuring herself, Skylar Diggins-Smith, Cameron, and several others.

It's fun to watch the league grow in real time like this.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#33 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 14, 2024 11:40 pm

Aliyah Boston's footwork is elite.

Clark is pressing on her shot attempts. Gotta relax and let them game flow to you

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,596

Post#34 » by eyriq » Tue May 14, 2024 11:46 pm

Rough start for Caitlin
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,955

Post#35 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 15, 2024 12:34 am

eyriq wrote:Rough start for Caitlin

Grown women with families to feed. :o
wojoaderge
Veteran

Post#36 » by wojoaderge » Wed May 15, 2024 12:47 am

This Liberty-Mystics game is pretty good
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,103

Post#37 » by Wingy » Wed May 15, 2024 1:44 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:I'm pumped. It's not just the new team, but those 12 roster spots mean a LOT. So many players who are good end up getting cut because of the lack of opportunities. Between Golden State and Toronto, that means 24 more players will have jobs soon. Keep growing the league

Read on Twitter

I like the color scheme. I'm glad they didn't try to make the team a carbon copy of the Warriors, the name Valkyries is enough of a nod to their brother franchise.[/quote]

Like the name. Like the colors well enough, but also seems to evoke the Kings and kinda weird being so close to them.

Logo is poo. Bout to mention something you can’t unsee…

The way they made the K prominent makes it look like “Kyries.” :nonono:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,740

Post#38 » by DOT » Wed May 15, 2024 4:45 pm

I was at the game last night. Mohegan is a pretty small arena, but sold out (it was like 50/50 Sun fans and Clark fans lol)

I think you could really tell the Fever were one of the worst teams in the league last year. Clark got no help at all, had to do everything herself (hence the 10 turnovers), and every time she had the ball, every Sun defender was absolutely keyed in on her, everything was a double team until the 4th when they stuck AT on her

I'm confident she'll be great, but that was a rough start for sure lol.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#39 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 15, 2024 10:14 pm

DOT wrote:I was at the game last night. Mohegan is a pretty small arena, but sold out (it was like 50/50 Sun fans and Clark fans lol)

I think you could really tell the Fever were one of the worst teams in the league last year. Clark got no help at all, had to do everything herself (hence the 10 turnovers), and every time she had the ball, every Sun defender was absolutely keyed in on her, everything was a double team until the 4th when they stuck AT on her

I'm confident she'll be great, but that was a rough start for sure lol.

Yeah you can see how inexperienced they were compared to the Sun. And you know AT and those gals were licking their chops to get a piece of CC :lol:

It's a good experience for them (the Fever). They have a few years before they can box with the big dogs

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#40 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 15, 2024 10:54 pm

Read on Twitter