Moderators: cupcakesnake, G R E Y, Doctor MJ

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,730

2023 WNBA Season Discussion 

Post#1 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 23, 2023 4:03 am

OK, we have a W board now.

It's one of the more exciting seasons in recent memory with all the dramatic player movement and those crazy rosters in New York and Las Vegas. Brittney Griner's big return. The WNBA selling out an exhibition game in their first-ever visit to Canada. Washington killing New York in an early season Commissioner's Cup Game (do people care about the Commissioner's Cup?)
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,581

Re: 2023 WNBA Season Discussion 

Post#2 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 23, 2023 5:11 am

Exciting times!

It's going to be fascinating to watch the Year of the Superteam unfold in the WNBA with Aces & Liberty. As I've said since Lebron took his talents to South Beach, the analyst in me just loves seeing players in a new context to see how it all works.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,117

Post#3 » by The-Power » Tue May 23, 2023 5:38 am

Awesome to have this board! I won't be able to follow the WNBA closely, at least for the time being, but I'm looking forward to reading this thread every now and then to see what's going on and what to pay attention to (hopefully the discussion will be informative and civil and not turn toxic, but I fully trust the good selection of mods here to nip that in the bud).
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,369

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Tue May 23, 2023 7:27 am

I am excited, too. This is going to be the first year I follow the WNBA somewhat closely. Moving to Los Angeles so may try to catch a couple games, too!

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
dontcalltimeout
Senior
And1: 547

Post#5 » by dontcalltimeout » Tue May 23, 2023 2:37 pm

I'm excited to get into this season. Going to my first Sky game of the season this Friday.

I've been feeling devastated that Candace left to go to the best team (though I can't hate too much b/c I love A'ja and watching the Aces play), and somehow the team is 2-0 to start the year so that's cool.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 870

Post#6 » by ijspeelman » Tue May 23, 2023 2:49 pm

My girlfriend and I got really into the WNBA last year and I decided to follow Seattle and she decided on Chicago.

Of course, Candace Parker and Breanna Stewart are no longer on their respective teams, but I am still excited to watch the future of Jewell Loyd and Kahleah Copper.

Plus, the Liberty and Aces are going to be really fun watches.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#7 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 23, 2023 3:06 pm

ijspeelman wrote:My girlfriend and I got really into the WNBA last year and I decided to follow Seattle and she decided on Chicago.

Of course, Candace Parker and Breanna Stewart are no longer on their respective teams, but I am still excited to watch the future of Jewell Loyd and Kahleah Copper.

Way to hop on 2 bandwagons right before they both flew off a cliff! :lol:
I think Chicago could still be plucky this year though with that veteran backcourt. Over in Seattle they still have Jewell Lloyd but things could be rough. There's a lot of teams this year though that feel they're entering a new era. I also have zero idea how to rank the 9 teams that aren't the Mystics, Aces, or Liberty. Someone is going to emerge from the ashes and some new young players are going to take a leap.

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 870

Post#8 » by ijspeelman » Tue May 23, 2023 3:16 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:My girlfriend and I got really into the WNBA last year and I decided to follow Seattle and she decided on Chicago.

I think Chicago could still be plucky this year though with that veteran backcourt. Over in Seattle they still have Jewell Lloyd but things could be rough. There's a lot of teams this year though that feel they're entering a new era. I also have zero idea how to rank the 9 teams that aren't the Mystics, Aces, or Liberty. Someone is going to emerge from the ashes and some new young players are going to take a leap.

When I was doing some statistical research on WNBA players, I did notice that the 3P% isn't there as compared to the NBA (34.6% compared to 35.4%) so all the players that can shoot the three at >38% are highly valuable.

I have interest in players like Marine Johannes, Sophie Cunningham, and Natisha Hiedeman who are young high volume, high efficiency three point shooters as they are a rare commodity.

Rhyne Howard, who is less efficient than this category, also intrigues me as a self-generating three point scorer.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#9 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 23, 2023 3:18 pm

Doctor MJ wrote: the Year of the Superteam unfold in the WNBA with Aces & Liberty.

And such opposite types of archetypal super teams.

The Liberty do feel like a Heatles style team. Multiple MVP types but big questions of how a lot of ball-dominators are going to fit together. I've only watched Stewie, Jonquel, and Ionesco play as offensive fulcrums and (after watching that Mystics game) I think it's going to take some figuring out over the season. I didn't watch their second game against the Fever but seeing a boxscore where Vandersloot and Ionesco combine for 16 assists and only 4 turnovers is a positive sign. If those 2 can be monster playmakers that weaponize Jonquel and Stewie all game, I'm more into this roster.

The Aces super team build feels immaculate by comparison. A champ that adds a game-changing defensive piece? I guess Candace Parker's age is the potential downside here, but until we see her drop off... how are teams going to score on 2x 6'4" DPOY level players on the backline?

I guess the Mystics aren't a super team but I think they're still in it to win it this year.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#10 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 23, 2023 3:26 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

When I was doing some statistical research on WNBA players, I did notice that the 3P% isn't there as compared to the NBA (34.6% compared to 35.4%) so all the players that can shoot the three at >38% are highly valuable.

I have interest in players like Marine Johannes, Sophie Cunningham, and Natisha Hiedeman who are young high volume, high efficiency three point shooters as they are a rare commodity.

Rhyne Howard, who is a less efficient than this category, also intrigues me as a self-generating three point scorer.

I forgot about Johannes. She's still playing in France right now I think? But I think the plan was for her to join the Liberty as soon as the French league is over (which is around now I think).

Seattle has been a 3-point monster during their golden years. It will be interesting to see how they re-tool around Lloyd and how her shooting looks as a primary offensive weapon rather than a complimentary piece.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,581

Post#11 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 23, 2023 3:29 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote: the Year of the Superteam unfold in the WNBA with Aces & Liberty.

The Liberty do feel like a Heatles style team. Multiple MVP types but big questions of how a lot of ball-dominators are going to fit together. I've only watched Stewie, Jonquel, and Ionesco play as offensive fulcrums and (after watching that Mystics game) I think it's going to take some figuring out over the season. I didn't watch their second game against the Fever but seeing a boxscore where Vandersloot and Ionesco combine for 16 assists and only 4 turnovers is a positive sign. If those 2 can be monster playmakers that weaponize Jonquel and Stewie all game, I'm more into this roster.

The Aces super team build feels immaculate by comparison. A champ that adds a game-changing defensive piece? I guess Candace Parker's age is the potential downside here, but until we see her drop off... how are teams going to score on 2x 6'4" DPOY level players on the backline?

I guess the Mystics aren't a super team but I think they're still in it to win it this year.

This is true. The Aces of course are building on top of a champion (Parker's peak is a bit overrated imho, but I think she can fit in in Vegas) whereas the Liberty are trying to go from meh to chip and there are concerns.

I'm big on Stewie and Sloot. I consider Stewie to be the best player in the world right now, and Sloot to be the best floor general.

Jonquel's fit is a question. I think there's no question that she was a worthy MVP when she won the MVP, but last year with Alyssa Thomas back, Jonquel kinda felt like a 3rd wheel at time. It's possible that she and Stewie won't fit well enough together.

Ionesco, we'll see what happens. The moves this summer can be told as an attempt to build a super-team around Ionesco, but she's felt a bit like a Westbrook figure who really might need to re-think her game at this level.

I also want to shout out Marine Johannes who feels like she might have some Sloot in her.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,096

Post#12 » by Colbinii » Tue May 23, 2023 3:42 pm

Can someone explain why Diamond Miller was the #2 pick?

I just feel like a shooting guard who can't shoot the 3 ball isn't going to be a transcendent talent in the WNBA.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#13 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 23, 2023 4:31 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

This is true. The Aces of course are building on top of a champion (Parker's peak is a bit overrated imho, but I think she can fit in in Vegas) whereas the Liberty are trying to go from meh to chip and there are concerns.

I'm big on Stewie and Sloot. I consider Stewie to be the best player in the world right now, and Sloot to be the best floor general.

Jonquel's fit is a question. I think there's no question that she was a worthy MVP when she won the MVP, but last year with Alyssa Thomas back, Jonquel kinda felt like a 3rd wheel at time. It's possible that she and Stewie won't fit well enough together.

Ionesco, we'll see what happens. The moves this summer can be told as an attempt to build a super-team around Ionesco, but she's felt a bit like a Westbrook figure who really might need to re-think her game at this level.

I also want to shout out Marine Johannes who feels like she might have some Sloot in her.

I'm pretty lockstep on a lot of these points.
I wasn't a huge fan of Parker's game, but I've really enjoyed old veteran Parker who is all about defense and being a facilitator on offense. Pairing her with A'ja on defense feels unfair. I think she can be a great offensive connector in Las Vegas, between all that perimeter firepower and A'ja's interior game. But again, she's 37. The wheels fall off at some point.

I do think Stewie makes a lot of fit points moot. She's going to be giant and good at everything. She'll be productive regardless of how the rest of the offense fits around her. Your comp for Ionescu is a good one. She's a mega-hyped talent since college but in the W we've only seen that in the context of pretty miserable losing seasons. We don't know what her role is next to other high-end players and now she's playing with 2 MVPs and a point guard with a lot more veteran savvy than her. How this season goes could majorly change our perception of her for better or worse.

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,877

Post#14 » by azcatz11 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:35 pm

I don’t really seeing New York beating Las Vegas. Granted, Seattle is awful but they have insane team chemistry
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#15 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 23, 2023 4:38 pm

Colbinii wrote:Can someone explain why Diamond Miller was the #2 pick?

I just feel like a shooting guard who can't shoot the 3 ball isn't going to be a transcendent talent in the WNBA.

I saw her live in that exhibition game in Toronto. She struggled badly in that one. Could be early season meaninglessness or it she could be a bit more of a project. Not every high pick in the W is an immediate star.

But she is HUGE for a guard. She's super fast, super aggressive driving the ball and has a ton of defensive potential. I think the shooting concerns are overblown. She's shot close to 80% from the FT line her whole time in college. The 3-point shot has trended the wrong way but I don't think it's hopeless. At her size too, I don't think it matters that she's a "guard". She's has big forward size.

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,096

Post#16 » by Colbinii » Tue May 23, 2023 4:44 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Can someone explain why Diamond Miller was the #2 pick?

I saw her live in that exhibition game in Toronto. She struggled badly in that one. Could be early season meaninglessness or it she could be a bit more of a project. Not every high pick in the W is an immediate star.

But she is HUGE for a guard. She's super fast, super aggressive driving the ball and has a ton of defensive potential. I think the shooting concerns are overblown. She's shot close to 80% from the FT line her whole time in college. The 3-point shot has trended the wrong way but I don't think it's hopeless. At her size too, I don't think it matters that she's a "guard". She's has big forward size.

This makes a lot of sense. A very toolsy prospect with tons of upside but a very real ceiling if her shot never progresses.

I stopped following the WNBA following Maya Moore's departure [only have so much time to devote to hobbies]. I may need to catch a game or two of the Lynx, even if they are bad this year.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#17 » by cupcakesnake » Wed May 24, 2023 2:07 pm

Too early to say much about teams but the Connecticut Sun have surprised out the gate by upsetting Washington in both games of a b2b. They have so much size on the perimeter that Washington just couldn't get a clean 3 off.

Conneticut went to the finals last year but lost their MVP Jonquel Jones and another starter in Courtney Williams. There one of many teams people didn't really know what to expect so it's cool to see them hit the ground running.

Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,579

Post#18 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed May 24, 2023 7:15 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:

The Vegas odds I looked at were pretty eye popping. Naturally, with the moves that happened, it was easy to assume that the Aces and Liberty were the teams to beat. But... wow.

Aces +120
Liberty +140
Mystics +1000
Mercury +3000
Sun +3000
and everyone else is +4000 or worse.

That's... dramatic.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,485

Post#19 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 24, 2023 9:33 pm

First of all Mods, thank you for creating a WNBA board where fans can discuss watching our ladies hoop without any nonsense from the morons on here who hate women.

2nd, can we possibly get the team logos for the WNBA squads to put on our profile?

3rd, GO Liberty!!! Stewie, JJ, Sab, and Lainey are gonna bring the title to New York!!!!
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,485

Post#20 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 24, 2023 9:35 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

The Vegas odds I looked at were pretty eye popping. Naturally, with the moves that happened, it was easy to assume that the Aces and Liberty were the teams to beat. But... wow.

Aces +120
Liberty +140
Mystics +1000
Mercury +3000
Sun +3000
and everyone else is +4000 or worse.

That's... dramatic.

Not much of a shock honestly, the Aces and Libs are f*cking stacked to the brim with talent

NY doesn't even have Marine Johannes back from over seas yet. Just wait.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to WNBA