2023 WNBA Finals: Aces vs Liberty!!! (Aces lead 2-1)

Moderators: cupcakesnake, G R E Y, Doctor MJ

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,485

Re: 2023 WNBA Finals: Aces vs Liberty!!! (Aces lead 2-1) 

Post#421 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:49 pm

G R E Y wrote:Speaking of turnout:

Read on Twitter

It would be interesting to get a year to year comparison of growth in attendance and fans SM engagement and merch purchase power interest.

Told yall, Barclays for the Liberty are an entirely different animal than when the Nets play there :lol: Mike Wilbon of ESPN kept throwing shade at Barclays, but the building was lit for both games. I think he was getting it twisted...NYC loves the Liberty. The Nets, not so much. :-?

I would be interested as well. That number will keep climbing higher and higher. I cannot wait for the draft.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,085

Post#422 » by G R E Y » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:08 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Just as how you lose shows something, how you win does, too. These parade victory speeches are embarrassing. Handling liquor like a teen using fake ID drinking for the first time. Oof.

Good turnout, though, so there's that:

Read on Twitter

I remember when the Cavs won and they were all piss drunk during their parade...JR Smith was acting the fool (big shocker) and LeBron was delivering an expletive laden speech to the crowd...full of children. That was even a bit much for someone like me, and i curse like a sailor

I think teams in general can do better during these celebrations...like yeah, please have fun, get lit up but be mindful that there are eyes on you that are impressionable.

i sound like my damn mother again

Yeah the kids/example is part of it. A counterpoint would be Chuck's 'I'm not a role model'. Whether one wants to be or not, they have eyes on them and have influence.

But I was thinking more of like just basic adulthood and standards and values and pride in personal conduct. Not perfection, not judgement when someone is at their worst/going through a tough moment or stretch in life, but choices. And this is the latter. Both as an organization (not just this one as you pointed out) and as individuals. Just embarrassing and classless. And if that makes me sound like my Mom, then she taught me well.

I'm not the type to like chest beating and taunting in games or after series anyway so that's where I'm coming from. Act like you've been here before, done it before. I don't like when **** faced diss culture is included in celebrations.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,085

Post#423 » by G R E Y » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:14 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I see that Kelsey Plum chose violence instead of winning with some grace. It's all good to me, but the Liberty better remember what she said and come back ready to make her eat those words.

Yeah there's always that follow up context clarification/justification but even if she meant to talk about how tight her team has become through growing pains, just do that. Walking back after it's out there is trying to put toothpaste back in the tube.

Context of context:
Read on Twitter

Replies:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Keeping it classy. How you approach disappointment and the follow up says a lot about you.

Yeah like i get it, she was excited and proud of what her team went through and how they stayed together...but that has nothing to do with the Liberty's locker room. She wasn't in there, she doesn't know what they went through themselves, this season was not easy for the Liberty at all. Jonquel had to claw her way back to her MVP level form, it wasn't pretty or fun but she did it. She could have said what she said and left the opponent out of it.

Kelsey has always been a sh*t talker though, so it is what it is. It doesn't make me respect her less, or like her less as a baller, hell I'm a fan of hers too (as well as Gray, A'Ja, CP). I just want the Liberty to remember this, and come back next season out for blood.

I do think it was right of her to give some more details and say sorry (even if media clickbait was blamed in part) but on the whole agree with your assessment. In a way, Aces benefitted from the lack of team cohesion for Liberty because they sure don't lack talent. It takes time, as Aces themselves proved. But yeah as far as respect goes as a basketball player sure it's there but it does make me look at players a bit differently. Not permanently or anything just a pity it went this way. I'm sure Liberty won't forget.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#424 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:14 pm

G R E Y wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Just as how you lose shows something, how you win does, too. These parade victory speeches are embarrassing. Handling liquor like a teen using fake ID drinking for the first time. Oof.

Good turnout, though, so there's that:

Read on Twitter

I remember when the Cavs won and they were all piss drunk during their parade...JR Smith was acting the fool (big shocker) and LeBron was delivering an expletive laden speech to the crowd...full of children. That was even a bit much for someone like me, and i curse like a sailor

I think teams in general can do better during these celebrations...like yeah, please have fun, get lit up but be mindful that there are eyes on you that are impressionable.

i sound like my damn mother again

Yeah the kids/example is part of it. A counterpoint would be Chuck's 'I'm not a role model'. Whether one wants to be or not, they have eyes on them and have influence.

But I was thinking more of like just basic adulthood and standards and values and pride in personal conduct. Not perfection, not judgement when someone is at their worst/going through a tough moment or stretch in life, but choices. And this is the latter. Both as an organization (not just this one as you pointed out) and as individuals. Just embarrassing and classless. And if that makes me sound like my Mom, then she taught me well.

I'm not the type to like chest beating and taunting in games or after series anyway so that's where I'm coming from. Act like you've been here before, done it before. I don't like when **** faced diss culture is included in celebrations.

Oh yeah, I laugh and think that I'm becoming my Mom all the time the older I get. Which is a good thing, she did a decent job with me and my sister :lol:

But yeah, for being B2B champs I'm kind of surprised that the Aces didn't act like they've been to the mountain top before. I still support them cutting loose and having fun, but just be mindful...there are people looking up to you whether you realize it or not, and will emulate you for better or worse. Grace and humility should be the onus whether you win or lose.

So many young girls were at Barclays for that Aces/Liberty game earlier this year...I don't know if the players realize how fast this thing is growing and how many eyes are on them, but it's something that they need to be prepared for. Even with the Liberty refusing to meet the media after the game...that's not how you handle defeat and that's not the lesson you want to display.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#425 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:19 pm

G R E Y wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Yeah there's always that follow up context clarification/justification but even if she meant to talk about how tight her team has become through growing pains, just do that. Walking back after it's out there is trying to put toothpaste back in the tube.

Context of context:
Read on Twitter

Replies:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Keeping it classy. How you approach disappointment and the follow up says a lot about you.

Yeah like i get it, she was excited and proud of what her team went through and how they stayed together...but that has nothing to do with the Liberty's locker room. She wasn't in there, she doesn't know what they went through themselves, this season was not easy for the Liberty at all. Jonquel had to claw her way back to her MVP level form, it wasn't pretty or fun but she did it. She could have said what she said and left the opponent out of it.

Kelsey has always been a sh*t talker though, so it is what it is. It doesn't make me respect her less, or like her less as a baller, hell I'm a fan of hers too (as well as Gray, A'Ja, CP). I just want the Liberty to remember this, and come back next season out for blood.

I do think it was right of her to give some more details and say sorry (even if media clickbait was blamed in part) but on the whole agree with your assessment. In a way, Aces benefitted from the lack of team cohesion for Liberty because they sure don't lack talent. It takes time, as Aces themselves proved. But yeah as far as respect goes as a basketball player sure it's there but it does make me look at players a bit differently. Not permanently or anything just a pity it went this way. I'm sure Liberty won't forget.

Oh, I'm sure they won't.

and here's the unintended consequence of Kelsey talking sh*t...this is now a legit rivalry. :)

You wanna stop Kelsey from talking sh*t? BEAT the Aces.

Return to WNBA