2023 WNBA Finals: Aces vs Liberty!!! (Aces lead 2-1)

Moderators: cupcakesnake, G R E Y, Doctor MJ

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,899

Re: 2023 WNBA Finals: Aces vs Liberty!!! (Aces lead 2-1) 

Post#381 » by Rich Rane » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:21 am

jokeboy86 wrote:Would’ve like Sabrina taking that last shot but oh well

Laney and Sloot had great looks and are more than capable of taking that last shot.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,340

Post#382 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:21 am

One more ring for Hammon next year and I think she tries to get an NBA head coaching gig
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,085

Post#383 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:22 am

Aaaaaw you can see how much it means to both teams. Love seeing this. And for the love of doing right by sport please respect the game and coaches and players and stop with the in-game sideline interviews.

NOW you can interview them lol
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
jokeboy86
General Manager

Post#384 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:22 am

Rich Rane wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:Would’ve like Sabrina taking that last shot but oh well

Laney and Sloot had great looks and are more than capable of taking that last shot.

Oh absolutely because that was the right play
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,195

Post#385 » by bisme37 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:23 am

Insane that Candace Parker didn't even play and they won the championship convincingly.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#386 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:24 am

Someone cut his hair. Brutal lol
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,752

Post#387 » by dockingsched » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:24 am

I hope they never put Lobo on aLiberty game ever again.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
jokeboy86
General Manager

Post#388 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:27 am

G R E Y wrote:Aaaaaw you can see how much it means to both teams. Love seeing this. And for the love of doing right by sport please respect the game and coaches and players and stop with the in-game sideline interviews.

I think the players and league dont mind it because its something that the majority of the mens leagues dont do as far as unique media access. And you can see that the WNBA and its players have a much better relationship with the media than the NBA players and coaches. With the NBA it seems much more adversarial.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#389 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:31 am

jokeboy86 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Aaaaaw you can see how much it means to both teams. Love seeing this. And for the love of doing right by sport please respect the game and coaches and players and stop with the in-game sideline interviews.

I think the players and league dont mind it because its something that the majority of the mens leagues dont do as far as unique media access. And you can see that the WNBA and its players have a much better relationship with the media than the NBA players and coaches. With the NBA it seems much more adversarial.

That's the most positive take I've read yet.

It's frankly brutal.

Half the time the coaches are in mid play-call and barely get through coherent sentences.

It's unique, I agree, and it's access, also agree, but it's also a huge distraction from the game. It should never be done IN game.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,984

Post#390 » by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:09 am

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#391 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:27 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Reminds of a line from a Latin playwright about how white people don't let anything get in the way of dancing, not even the rhythm :lol:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#392 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:34 am

Just took a look at the box score to see if the numbers reflected how the game felt - well box score was even worse. Liberty were incredibly inefficient. Did themselves in all over the place even with taking more FGAs, more 3s, more FTs. OOOOOOOF. Missed opportunities. Exemplified the series, but also the run they had to get to the finals.

They're that team which fights from behind but can't yet push through an invisible ceiling to get ahead again. They make great shots to catch up then miss bunnies again when they have had chances to lead.

Aces on the other hand were flat out more resolute in their determination, in their O set executions, in confidence in taking and making the shots.

Both teams defended really well. Tough grind it out series, which is all the more impressive for the Aces given that they were down three key players, on the road, on the ropes down a double digit deficit. And yet back they stormed. Just a more experienced, cohesive team.

Liberty are just about up there in talent but don't yet have that togetherness in mentality and game. It will come. It's pain along the way, but they have a lot to build on.

Aces chased and caught history, and now are on a singular path to make it.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#393 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:45 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
zike_42
Sixth Man
And1: 502

Post#394 » by zike_42 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:44 am

Congratulations to the Aces, they were they best team all season (and last). I got super invested in the season and I'm a little sad to see it finish. I guess that's what a winning team does to you (cough Knicks cough).
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,752

Post#395 » by dockingsched » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:38 am

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,094

Post#396 » by tmorgan » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:57 am

I know there are probably other plans in place, but I hope Pop is having back room conversations with Becky about taking over the Spurs after this last (big ass) contract he gets is done.

I mean, seriously. Down 3 of their best 6 players against a team with just as much overall talent, and her players were more disciplined, focused, and just plain ready. That’s some serious damn coaching.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,486

Post#397 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:01 am

jokeboy86 wrote:

Becky Hammon and Betnijah Lainey did not look amused last night. The interviews with coaches while the ball is in play is absolutely ridiculous. They're trying to work. ESPN sucks and the league needs to do better.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#398 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:53 am

This still hurts, but at least the Liberty made the last two games exciting to watch. Can't wait for next season. I think we need to target Natasha Cloud.

jokeboy86
General Manager

Post#399 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:25 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:

Becky Hammon and Betnijah Lainey did not look amused last night. The interviews with coaches while the ball is in play is absolutely ridiculous. They're trying to work. ESPN sucks and the league needs to do better.

Oh it was obvious they were annoyed but I think they understand that they’re still a growing league so if ESPN suggests or requests certain things that they have to do it because they still need the media’s help in growing the league’s popularity. In contrast to the players and coaches in the men’s major sports. I guarantee you that some of the men’s leagues and their players/coaches at this point think all they need the media for is to televise their games and thats it. They think they dont need to talk with them pre-game, in-game, post game or be friendly with them because they think modern fans dont even care about any of that and they can use social media to connect with them better anyway.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#400 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:38 am

jokeboy86 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
jokeboy86 wrote:

Oh it was obvious they were annoyed but I think they understand that they’re still a growing league so if ESPN suggests or requests certain things that they have to do it because they still need the media’s help in growing the league’s popularity. In contrast to the players and coaches in the men’s major sports. I guarantee you that some of the men’s leagues and their players/coaches at this point think all they need the media for is to televise their games and thats it. They think they dont need to talk with them pre-game, in-game, post game or be friendly with them because they think modern fans dont even care about any of that and they can use social media to connect with them better anyway.

I have no issue trying to give players and coaches more visibility, but having the reporter (Holly Rowe, who is an amazing talent) follow Betnijah to the locker room while she was clearly out of breath was awful, on top of the fact that you couldn't hear anything because of the crowd noise.

Forcing coaches to interview while the ball is live is completely unprofessional and honestly disrespectful. The coaches are trying to work. I was so glad Becky started cursing the other day while the mic was hot, I hope it was deliberate on her part too.

I think the idea of shining a spotlight on everyone to get to know them is fantastic, but let's do it in a way that upholds good standards. Coach Pop or Steve Kerr would be pissed off if they had to do that crap, I see no reason to force it on the WNBA coaches, especially a Hall of Famer in Becky Hammon. She deserves more respect than that.

Return to WNBA