WNBA Draft 2024

Moderators: cupcakesnake, G R E Y, Doctor MJ

TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,895

Re: WNBA Draft 2024 

Post#21 » by TheSuzerain » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:53 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:So Brink the likely #2 now?

Clark, Brink and Cardoso are my top 3. The Sparks are probably disappointed that Paige isn't coming, but coming away with Brink and Rickea Jackson is a sweet haul.

Cardoso just doesn't look any good to me.

Reese comes with some baggage but she seems like the 2nd or 3rd best talent pretty plainly.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,497

Post#22 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:58 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Clark, Brink and Cardoso are my top 3. The Sparks are probably disappointed that Paige isn't coming, but coming away with Brink and Rickea Jackson is a sweet haul.

Reese comes with some baggage but she seems like the 2nd or 3rd best talent pretty plainly.

Both players will be solid at the next level, but Cardoso's size and shot blocking ability will translate very well imo.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,240

Post#23 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:04 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:And yeah, Paige is being crazy overshadowed right now. 20/4/4 on sickening efficiency. If the Sparks land her, Cardoso and Angel, that squad will be a serious problem from week 1

Looks like you don't have to worry about that just yet

Read on Twitter

Disappointing as a fan of the W, but I'm happy for Paige. Make that sweet NIL money and she probably slots in the top 3 of next year's draft.

My daughter and I are probably going to get across and see an NCAAW game live late in the year (or early next year).
Guess which team is #1 on her wishlist now?!?!
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,084

Post#24 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:44 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

What baggage fors Reese comes with?
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#25 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:45 pm

Haliburton is no longer the biggest star in Indy.

Clark is now the face of Indiana sports.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#26 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:48 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Definite drama queen. Very talented though. Like I see mock drafts with Rickea Jackson above her and I don't get it.

And Reese has been known as super high-maintenance from back to her Maryland days. This is not a recent development.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#27 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:37 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Cardoso just doesn't look any good to me.

Definite drama queen. Very talented though. Like I see mock drafts with Rickea Jackson above her and I don't get it.

And Reese has been known as super high-maintenance from back to her Maryland days. This is not a recent development.

Reese got overhyped because of her and Clark going back n forth. She blew up after the media brought attention to her reaction on the court pointing at her ring finger.

She was never a superstar talent. She plays good defense and can rebound. Not much of a offensive threat unless it's around the basket. I see her as a role player at the next level.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#28 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:43 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:What baggage fors Reese comes with?

Reese got overhyped because of her and Clark going back n forth. She blew up after the media brought attention to her reaction on the court pointing at her ring finger.

She was never a superstar talent. She plays good defense and can rebound. Not much of a offensive threat unless it's around the basket. I see her as a role player at the next level.

She's not a Clark level talent (who might be the GOAT women's prospect next to Candace Parker).

But she's a pretty great prospect. Just way more athletic than typical for a forward.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#29 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:09 am

Saturday, May 18th Caitlin Clark and Aliyah Boston travel to New York to take on Sabrina, Stewie and Jonquel

Barclay's will be a mad house. Oh my god

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#30 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:17 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Definite drama queen. Very talented though. Like I see mock drafts with Rickea Jackson above her and I don't get it.

She's not a Clark level talent (who might be the GOAT women's prospect next to Candace Parker).

But she's a pretty great prospect. Just way more athletic than typical for a forward.

Angel is legit, you're not averaging 19 and 13 in NCAAW Div 1 by sheer luck. Her athletic ability, length and elite rebounding will absolutely cause problems for opposing teams at the next level.

Her next step is developing her three point shot.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,744

Post#31 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:38 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Reese got overhyped because of her and Clark going back n forth. She blew up after the media brought attention to her reaction on the court pointing at her ring finger.

Angel is legit, you're not averaging 19 and 13 in NCAAW Div 1 by sheer luck. Her athletic ability, length and elite rebounding will absolutely cause problems for opposing teams at the next level.

I do worry she's a bit of a tweener in the W. If she gets does expand her game outside the paint a bit more, I can see an all-star level player like Natasha Howard or someone like that. Right now she's a 6'2"-6'3" paint banger and whenever I watch she's playing bully ball. Hard to play bully ball in the W when every team has someone bigger than you.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#32 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:35 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:She's not a Clark level talent (who might be the GOAT women's prospect next to Candace Parker).

I do worry she's a bit of a tweener in the W. If she gets does expand her game outside the paint a bit more, I can see an all-star level player like Natasha Howard or someone like that. Right now she's a 6'2"-6'3" paint banger and whenever I watch she's playing bully ball. Hard to play bully ball in the W when every team has someone bigger than you.

That's a fair point. I think she'll have an adjustment period, but i expect that her rebounding and high level defense will carry over to the pros. Her strength, length, mobility and athleticism are elite level imo. 7 foot wingspan. Strong as an ox. There's a reason why she was pissed at her draft rankings :lol: i think her biggest issue is the lack of an outside shot. She's going to have to be able to knock down open threes playing the forward spot.

Regarding her height, i wouldn't worry about that. For comparison, she's an inch taller than Nneka and is pretty much the same height as Stewie. Do i expect her to go in there from day 1 and start bullying players as big as Jonquel? Hell no lol. But I wouldn't hold it against her either.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#33 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:57 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

That's a fair point. I think she'll have an adjustment period, but i expect that her rebounding and high level defense will carry over to the pros. Her strength, length, mobility and athleticism are elite level imo. 7 foot wingspan. Strong as an ox. There's a reason why she was pissed at her draft rankings :lol: i think her biggest issue is the lack of an outside shot. She's going to have to be able to knock down open threes playing the forward spot.

Regarding her height, i wouldn't worry about that. For comparison, she's an inch taller than Nneka and is pretty much the same height as Stewie. Do i expect her to go in there from day 1 and start bullying players as big as Jonquel? Hell no lol. But I wouldn't hold it against her either.

It's more her height combined with her playstyle. Nneka and Stewie are both elite skilled players. Reese is a post bully who doesn't even really have a ton of moves or footwork. I think she'll be able to play her current game in some matchups, but there will be nights against teams like Dallas where Rees is trying to smash down doors built out of Kalani Brown and Teaira McCowan.

I'm not saying she wont be good. She's got crazy physical tools with the strength, length, and wicked first step. I just get why she'd not considered a top 5 pick as a 6'2" power post player without a jumper.

zike_42
Sixth Man
And1: 502

Post#34 » by zike_42 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:06 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Saturday, May 18th Caitlin Clark and Aliyah Boston travel to New York to take on Sabrina, Stewie and Jonquel

Better get those tickets now! Times like these I'm super jealous of Americans being on the other side of the world.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#35 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:37 pm

zike_42 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Saturday, May 18th Caitlin Clark and Aliyah Boston travel to New York to take on Sabrina, Stewie and Jonquel

Better get those tickets now! Times like these I'm super jealous of Americans being on the other side of the world.

I know, tickets are going fast and resellers are scalping them for $800 and up.

For comparison, i spent $300 total on Liberty vs Aces tickets last year. The same seating area and level now? 210 per ticket and up :cry:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#36 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:39 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

It's more her height combined with her playstyle. Nneka and Stewie are both elite skilled players. Reese is a post bully who doesn't even really have a ton of moves or footwork. I think she'll be able to play her current game in some matchups, but there will be nights against teams like Dallas where Rees is trying to smash down doors built out of Kalani Brown and Teaira McCowan.

I'm not saying she wont be good. She's got crazy physical tools with the strength, length, and wicked first step. I just get why she'd not considered a top 5 pick as a 6'2" power post player without a jumper.

For sure, i expect her offense to lag behind her defense and rebounding.

TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#37 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:24 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

I would understand this if there was a 3rd player with significant talent after Clark and I guess Brink.

But doesn't seem to me there is. And honestly WNBA drafts are usually super thin. Top 10 players getting cut pretty quick is common.
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,495

Post#38 » by ellobo » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:59 pm

Maybe Reese can expand her offensive range and individual scoring game, but I don't necessarily expect her to ever be a go-to star scorer. However, I do think she has a high floor as high-motor athletic energy big who can rebound, defend, and score opportunistically. My impression is that offensive rebounding is more important in the women's game than in the men's game, where a lot of teams basically punt on pursuing offensive rebounds in favor of transition defense. In the women's game, at both NCAA and WNBA levels, "chuck it up and be elite at getting another possession if you miss" is a viable strategy for a winning team, and I think Reese can be an elite "possession getter." We've also seen in the NBA with Mitchell Robinson, how an elite offensive rebounder not only helps a team's offense, but also it's transition defense because teams have to keep rebounders in instead of getting out and running.

But I also think that maximizing her value at the next level will mean being able to adapt to a role and embrace her strengths, which may take a mental and emotional adjustment for her.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#39 » by cupcakesnake » Sat Mar 2, 2024 11:53 pm

I don't think it's wild to be high on Angel Reese. I also don't think it's out of the question for her to go in the top 5. I agree with ellobo's evaluation of her game, I'm maybe just a shade more skeptical her physical game is certain to translate. I think there's a good chance it does though. She just plays with so much force.

TheSuzerain wrote:I would understand this if there was a 3rd player with significant talent after Clark and I guess Brink.

But doesn't seem to me there is. And honestly WNBA drafts are usually super thin. Top 10 players getting cut pretty quick is common.

Lots of people are high on Kamilla Cardoso. She's 6'7" and answered a ton of questions scouts had about her defensive mobility. She has physically dominated Reese a few times over the past couple years. Aaliyah Edwards and Rickea Jackson are the other names I see the most consistently above Reese. Bueckers and Juju aren't hopping in this draft.

LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,240

Post#40 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:02 am

If only Georgia Amoore wasn't a midget...

Return to WNBA