Free agency and whatever other offseason stuff.

Moderators: cupcakesnake, G R E Y, Doctor MJ

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,753

Free agency and whatever other offseason stuff. 

Post#1 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:25 pm

It can be hard to follow the W's offseason unless you're plugged into the right twitter accounts. Not a lot of big media coverage so I figure we could help each other keep track of stuff!

Free agency started last week.

Biggest news I've heard:
- Nneka Ogwumike is leaving the Sparks! She's been there 12 years! 2016 champ and MVP. She still plays at a near MVP level. Apparently she's talking with Atlanta, Phoenix, Chicago, and maybe New York and Seattle.
- Alanna Smith to the Lynx.
- Jonquel Jones says she's not looking to leave New York.
- Jasmine Thomas is retiring.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,240

Re: Free agency and whatever other offseason stuff. 

Post#2 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Feb 1, 2024 10:19 am

Trade
- Seattle receives LA 2026 First Rounder

- LA receives 2024 no.4 pick
- Kia Nurse

Source : Seattle Storm Insta
I don't follow the W super closely (I follow Aussie women's ball more) but does this make sense to anyone?
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#3 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:57 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:Trade

- Kia Nurse

I don't follow the W super closely (I follow Aussie women's ball more) but does this make sense to anyone?

What's the rationale for this trade on Seattle's side? Trading a top 4 pick for an uncertain pick in 2026. LA is certainly entering a more full on rebuild with Nneka leaving, but who knows what happens in 2 years. The 4th pick in this draft could be someone like Aaliyah Edwards, Kamilla Cardoso, or Cameron Brink.

Seattle just signed Skylar Diggins-Smith, and I think they plan on trying to be good with a Skylar/Jewell/Ezi core...but still seemes strange to me to opt out of the draft. Is dumping Kia Nurse an important part of the equation?

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#4 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:17 pm

I guess Nurse clears some cap space for the Skylar signing?

Other news:
- Tina Charles to Atlanta. She sat out last year and she's maybe not a star anymore, but still a starting calibre center.
- Nneka Ogwumike was spotted hanging out with Benijah Laney and Stewie... would be crazy for New York to somehow add yet another all-star.
- Dallas re-signed Satou Sabally and Kalani Brown. Awak Kuir is sitting out the season for Dallas.
- Lynx signed Courtney Williams and Alana Smith, re-signed Briget Carlson, and traded Tiffany Mitchell (and the 19th pick) for Natasha Hiederman. Lynx should have a more solid roster this season, especially if Diamond Miller can take a leap.

LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#5 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat Feb 3, 2024 10:35 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:Trade

- Kia Nurse

What's the rationale for this trade on Seattle's side? Trading a top 4 pick for an uncertain pick in 2026. LA is certainly entering a more full on rebuild with Nneka leaving, but who knows what happens in 2 years. The 4th pick in this draft could be someone like Aaliyah Edwards, Kamilla Cardoso, or Cameron Brink.

Seattle just signed Skylar Diggins-Smith, and I think they plan on trying to be good with a Skylar/Jewell/Ezi core...but still seemes strange to me to opt out of the draft. Is dumping Kia Nurse an important part of the equation?

I tried reading more on this, since I'm not across the cap rules, etc in the W.
Seems like moving Nurse was enough to give them 2 max slots and there was some speculation they'd use one to sign Ogwumike, almost like an unofficial part of the trade.
But it was speculative and they've since signed Skylar-Diggins, so maybe that was the move.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#6 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:24 am

Jordan Canada has signed with Atlanta, where she will play with her Melbourne Boomers teammate, Naz Hillmon.

Jordan has been incredibly good in the WNBL this year and would have to be in the running for MVP.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#7 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Feb 4, 2024 3:19 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:Jordan Canada has signed with Atlanta, where she will play with her Melbourne Boomers teammate, Naz Hillmon.

Jordan has been incredibly good in the WNBL this year and would have to be in the running for MVP.

I like Jordin Canada a lot last year. She didn't shoot the ball amazingly, but she was maybe one of the best combinations of perimeter defense and getting into the lane on offense. I think putting the ball in her hands will allow Allisha Gray and Rhyne Howard to focus even more on scoring. Atlanta badly lacked a playmaker last year, or someone to give that initial punch to their offense. Jordin wont hurt their defense either, so this is a big win.

Canada/Gray/Howard/Cheyenne Parker/Tina Charles is a pretty stacked lineup. Atlanta is serious.

LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#8 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:27 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:Jordan Canada has signed with Atlanta, where she will play with her Melbourne Boomers teammate, Naz Hillmon.

I like Jordin Canada a lot last year. She didn't shoot the ball amazingly, but she was maybe one of the best combinations of perimeter defense and getting into the lane on offense. I think putting the ball in her hands will allow Allisha Gray and Rhyne Howard to focus even more on scoring. Atlanta badly lacked a playmaker last year, or someone to give that initial punch to their offense. Jordin wont hurt their defense either, so this is a big win.

Canada/Gray/Howard/Cheyenne Parker/Tina Charles is a pretty stacked lineup. Atlanta is serious.

I've consistently spelled her first name wrong all year. It is, of course, Jordin.

Having seen her up close all year, on and off court, I've been impressed just how professional she is, too. Very quiet, but ready to train and play every night.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#9 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:39 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

I've consistently spelled her first name wrong all year. It is, of course, Jordin.

Having seen her up close all year, on and off court, I've been impressed just how professional she is, too. Very quiet, but ready to train and play every night.

Yeah Jordin seems very mature a professional. I believe the closest she ever came to controversy was when she tweeted after the Liz Cambage interview with Taylor Rooks. But Jordin's version of a controversial tweet was: "I usually keep to myself and mind my business but Bleacher Report if y’all want the REAL TRUTH, call me. " Lmao

Most famous athlete people just put people on blast on twitter in this scenario, but Jordin's tweet is like: i would very much talk about this if someone asked. Too funny.

LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#10 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Feb 4, 2024 10:57 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:

Yeah Jordin seems very mature a professional. I believe the closest she ever came to controversy was when she tweeted after the Liz Cambage interview with Taylor Rooks. But Jordin's version of a controversial tweet was: "I usually keep to myself and mind my business but Bleacher Report if y’all want the REAL TRUTH, call me. " Lmao

Most famous athlete people just put people on blast on twitter in this scenario, but Jordin's tweet is like: i would very much talk about this if someone asked. Too funny.

1. Pushing back on Liz Cambage isn't controversial, unfortunately. Defending her would be. I'm a chill dude (honestly!) and Liz has frustrated me since day 1, for various reasons over the years. Agree, Jordin's approach is beautifully understated.

2. Jordin is LOVED by the Melbourne faithful. She's never really done anything to court that love apart from play well, be mature on and off court, and make the team about 10 PPG better. She never really plays to the crowd, she's quiet at family days, etc. But she's loved anyway. Definite substance over style, for all that she's a smooth mover. And her teammates clearly like playing with her.

3. Give her three inches and 5% on the jumper, whoo boy...but she's good anyway.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#11 » by cupcakesnake » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:56 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:

1. Pushing back on Liz Cambage isn't controversial, unfortunately. Defending her would be. I'm a chill dude (honestly!) and Liz has frustrated me since day 1, for various reasons over the years. Agree, Jordin's approach is beautifully understated.

2. Jordin is LOVED by the Melbourne faithful. She's never really done anything to court that love apart from play well, be mature on and off court, and make the team about 10 PPG better. She never really plays to the crowd, she's quiet at family days, etc. But she's loved anyway. Definite substance over style, for all that she's a smooth mover. And her teammates clearly like playing with her.

3. Give her three inches and 5% on the jumper, whoo boy...but she's good anyway.

I was moreso saying that the only time Jordin was even around controversy, her only contribution was demonstrating restraint. I can only imagine it was frustrating- as a person who was on that team- to watch that interview and get called toxic and what not, by the person that was almost certainly the main source of any drama. The Sparks had already shown great restraint and class in how they handled that exit, so that interview felt like a wild sucker punch by Cambage.

(I don't actually know the details, and try not to judge, but I felt that interview showed a lot of narcicissm, or at the very least some serious insecurity and desire to control a narrative that no one was fighting you on.)

Anways, glad you are a Jordin fan. I am too. Substance over style, like you say. Gets into the paint and makes good decisions, and is a ferocious point of attack defender.

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,519

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 5, 2024 11:36 pm

Nneka just signed with Seattle.

Loyd and Diggins Smith in the backcourt.

Whooo boy. That is a problem squad
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#13 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 5, 2024 11:40 pm

Atlanta is going to be another headache. My poor Liberty :noway:

LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#14 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:11 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Nneka just signed with Seattle.

That trade of Nurse and the #4 pick makes a whole LOT of sense now.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#15 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:13 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Nneka just signed with Seattle.

This all suits Ezi Magbegor pretty neatly. Anchor the defence, don't worry too much about offensive expectations.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#16 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:05 pm

Ok wow this is great. We got another TEAM. Seattle is back, baby!

In other news, there is real chatter about Elena Delle Donne joining the Aces. The Phoenix Mercury loom as a more likely destination, but the prospect is daunting. EDD basically shores up any weakness the Aces have and make them the perfect team.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#17 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:10 pm

Bri Jones coming back to Conneticut. (So is Dewanna Bonner).
We stopped talking about it, but her injury kind of knee capped our best dark horse contender.

Tiffany Mitchel and Moriah Jefferson are solid adds by this squad, but I was secretly hoping for the Sun to make a big splash.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#18 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:01 pm

Kahleah Copper to Phoenix! Join Natasha Cloud, Giner, and Taurasi.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#19 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:08 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:Ok wow this is great. We got another TEAM. Seattle is back, baby!

In other news, there is real chatter about Elena Delle Donne joining the Aces. The Phoenix Mercury loom as a more likely destination, but the prospect is daunting. EDD basically shores up any weakness the Aces have and make them the perfect team.

I will be sick if EDD joins Vegas. No!! :cry:

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA

Post#20 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:56 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Ok wow this is great. We got another TEAM. Seattle is back, baby!

I will be sick if EDD joins Vegas. No!! :cry:

It's likely to have to be a trade, and Mercury has way more to offer (#3 pick in this draft for example).

Return to WNBA