Who is the next great Euro/International guard in the NBA?

Moderator: THE J0KER

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Who is the next great Euro/International guard in the NBA? 

Post#1 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:54 am

And when can we expect him to declare?

When he does declare, what range will he be drafted in?

When will we expect him to come over?

Who does he compare to as a current or past NBA player?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
EuroFan
Freshman
And1: 1

Re: Who is the next great Euro/International guard in the NBA? 

Post#2 » by EuroFan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Nando De Colo
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#3 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:03 am

EuroFan wrote:Nando De Colo

I'm not sure if you're serious, but this was a guy I really wanted the Nets to draft.

I haven't seen a lot of him since, has he improved?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
droponov
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#4 » by droponov » Sun May 1, 2011 2:05 pm

De Colo has progressed nicely since moving to Spain, if all keeps going well he can be a decent combo off the bench for the Spurs one day.

Talking about guys with the potential to be quality starters, the only ones I can think about are Devon Van Oostrum and Nenad Miljenovic, especially the later.

They're both from '93 so they'd be eligible to enter next year's draft, but I doubt they will. They both signed long term deals and they have yet to start playing at the higher level in Europe. I'd expect Miljenovic to be a backup for an Euroleague team next season and Devon to be a starter in Spanish 2nd division/3rd string Euroleague. They're both long PGs, Miljenovic being an incredible creative shot-maker who's a fairly poor defender and shooter, van Oostrum doesn't have the same type of talent but he's a very versatile player and fairly athletic. Miljenovic is the best bet to become great.

There's a kid I saw the other day that has hugely impressed me, Agustí Sans from Joventut, but he's only 15 years old, still too early to predict anything.
kuhane gace
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by kuhane gace » Sun May 1, 2011 5:28 pm

along with miljenovic from balkans kid who could make it is mario hezonja 95. 6-6. has great combination of athletic abilitys, size, shooting touch and one on one skills. despite being very young you can already see he has chance to maket it.....but only if he doesn't screw him self...one of most cocky kids i saw latley. being so young there is time for him to change.

impressed at jordan brand classic iternational game with potential

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011-jordan-bra ... valuations
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jor ... ects-3685/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCngsJv88q4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfkagJ6YFR8

karlo lebo 94. 6-5 and nemanja nedovic 91. 6-3 have athletic abilitys, but bouth lacking of basketball skills and talent

lebo plays from last year in u-18 tournamet as 16 year old
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBpAw-BM ... re=related

nedovic dunks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPNssDFqhE0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCMGyhe ... re=related
droponov
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by droponov » Tue May 3, 2011 2:40 am

Nedovic doesn't impress me at all.

kuhane, what about Vasilije Micic '94, do you know him well? He had some big games in the Serbian League this season and in the U-16 EC last Summer, he was the PG for Serbia. I liked what I saw in videos.
sergiio_88
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#7 » by sergiio_88 » Tue May 3, 2011 6:42 pm

Nando de Colo improves a lot in last two years. He plays in Valencia, Spain and he has trained with two of the best coaches in Europe, Neven Spahija and Svetislav Pesic.
I think next year he will be in NBA. In Spurs, I guess.

Another good PG in Europe: Josep Franch, Jaime Fernández, Agusti Sans, Albert Homs, Andrew Albicy, Tomáš Satoranský, Nenad Miljenovic...
kuhane gace
Sophomore

Post#8 » by kuhane gace » Tue May 3, 2011 7:54 pm

@droponov

not to much...but he seems like skilled and smart pg. i would say he is euroleague star propspect
Ghost_73
Ballboy

Post#9 » by Ghost_73 » Fri May 6, 2011 9:37 pm

EuroFan wrote:Nando De Colo

No way. Nando is not NBA material. He doesn't have great athleticism, is a poor defensive player and his ball-handling skills are average at best. Can't play SG in the NBA because he would get destroyed physically and doesn't have the skills to be a PG.

He has the potential and tools to be a very good Euroleague player as scorer thanks to his shoot but the NBA is not for him.

Keep an eye on Evan Fournier who plays for Poitiers in France. He is young and has shown the qualities to be a great scorer (but a great team player) and with time his 3pt shoot will improve. He is also more athletic than De Colo. He is a clever kid who his patient and has a great work ethic. He won't rush his decision to go to the NBA but will improve by staying in Europe for a couple of years. He has made some dramatic progress from last year when he was in Pro B. Now in Pro A he often scores 10pts in 20mn and he is just 18.
khaled_a_d
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#10 » by khaled_a_d » Sat May 7, 2011 9:05 am

Players who was already drafted or entered the draft:
Rubio :he is an obvious answer to me
Llull:has his draft rights owned by the Rockets,very good PG probably is gonna be a great back up PG or eve a starter for a lottery team,question is whether he is actually interested to go to the NBA or not
Nando De Colo:can be a back up PG in the league for few years,but he isn't very good tbh
Teodosic : great player,for me his worst case in the NBA is Calderon.that said he might be more interested to stay overseas
Nick Calathes :if he count

players who wasn't drafted:
EVAN FOURNIER:really like his game,very talented player,that said at 6'7 and not being very fast and with the SG position is turning into combo guard position,he might turn into SF in the NBA

DMITRY KULAGIN:very young PG,the last thing I know about him is that he is a started in the Russia league and doing well
droponov
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by droponov » Mon May 9, 2011 6:19 pm

De Colo is not starting material in the NBA, but I can see him being a solid combo off the bench if he keeps progressing in terms of ball-handling and defensively. Very good shot-maker.

Fournier has an excellent first step and is a very crafty finisher at the rim, but his shooting is way too inconsistent and his non-scoring contributions almost meaningless.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,557

Post#12 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue May 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Not an euro, but Raul Togni Neto should be drafted in the early 2nd when he enters the draft
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
kuhane gace
Sophomore

Post#13 » by kuhane gace » Thu May 12, 2011 9:46 am

well lot of them will be drafted...but i think question from vincecarter4pres was who will be next great?....i think that means who could reach a level of petrovic and parker, or at least maculionis

unfortunally for us who love euro bb there are not many with chance to become great in nba
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#14 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue May 17, 2011 6:01 am

kuhane gace wrote:well lot of them will be drafted...but i think question from vincecarter4pres was who will be next great?....i think that means who could reach a level of petrovic and parker, or at least maculionis

unfortunally for us who love euro bb there are not many with chance to become great in nba

Yeah I was alluding to who is the next Petrovic, Ginobili, or yes, even Sarunas?

But thanks for the thread guys, very interesting, don't stop on my account.

Was actually more talking about shooting guards, which I believe I failed to mention earlier, but that has been the main topic of conversation anyway. :D
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#15 » by Point-God » Wed May 18, 2011 10:40 am

Obviously something happened to decrease the quality of training European perimeter oriented players receive. It appears that if the guy wasn't a European international professional in the 90's, he will be of lesser quality than some of the Euros who entered the NBA before 2002. This thread should really be retitled "Who will be the next great Euro trained player in the NBA?"
Where is the next Peja, Dirk, Parker, Hedo, AK47 and Pau?
Bargs, Gallo, Dragic, Rudy, and Batum are clearly a weaker group.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#16 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri May 20, 2011 12:00 am

tomas satoransky, he will probably be in draft next year...playing point guard for cajasol and will be primarily a 2 in nba but will also be able to give minutes at the 1 and 3.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1099140

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LULaZErJAo[/youtube]
brassviews
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#17 » by brassviews » Fri May 20, 2011 1:17 am

Evan Fournier
Mario Hezonja
Rafa Freire (Maybe)

Last two guys have NBA level athleticism. They're not your typical International players.
Import
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Who is the next great Euro/International guard in the NB 

Post#18 » by Import » Fri May 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Ricky Rubio is the obivious one.
Import
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#19 » by Import » Fri May 20, 2011 10:44 pm

khaled_a_d wrote:Players who was already drafted or entered the draft:
Rubio :he is an obvious answer to me
Llull:has his draft rights owned by the Rockets,very good PG probably is gonna be a great back up PG or eve a starter for a lottery team,question is whether he is actually interested to go to the NBA or not
Nando De Colo:can be a back up PG in the league for few years,but he isn't very good tbh
Teodosic : great player,for me his worst case in the NBA is Calderon.that said he might be more interested to stay overseas
Nick Calathes :if he count

This.
freestyler34
Pro Prospect
And1: 459

Post#20 » by freestyler34 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:08 am

Point-God wrote:Obviously something happened to decrease the quality of training European perimeter oriented players receive. It appears that if the guy wasn't a European international professional in the 90's, he will be of lesser quality than some of the Euros who entered the NBA before 2002. This thread should really be retitled "Who will be the next great Euro trained player in the NBA?"
Where is the next Peja, Dirk, Parker, Hedo, AK47 and Pau?
Bargs, Gallo, Dragic, Rudy, and Batum are clearly a weaker group.

Return to International Basketball