FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...)

Moderator: THE J0KER

new WORLD CHAMPION this Sunday will be?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:19 pm

Germany
48%
Serbia
52%

Total votes: 137

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,812

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...) 

Post#1661 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:25 pm

og15 wrote:How does Spanoulis always sneak into any international related basketball discussion?

because one poster is always in these threads, and he wants to be sure you have heard of good word of Spanoulis.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...) 

Post#1662 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:27 pm

Poll officially shut down, Slight majority was in fact wrong again. ANother congrats to Germany, and congrats to Serbia, a team most of its fans didnt really expect final appearance this time at all. Its a great achievement,
links135
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,335

Post#1663 » by links135 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:37 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Got to love this poster, I knew he will bring legendary recorded vertical. Recorded vertical means nothing, its how athletic you play on the court. Lots of Humans can record high vertical when they focus and do a jump drill, but they wont use it in fatigue draining game. Some people can reach near their max vertical leap in routine plays and to others it takes too much energy and concentration, so they never do.

Ben McLemore and Shane Larkin had 42 and 44 vertical jumps at mock draft, so what, they are stiffs who only dunks in an open court, they cant shake off anyone. Look how many ankles SGA broke in this tournament alone, regular EL guy like Spanoulis, he simply didnt have that ability, he never did that in his life, that changing super speed, lateral quickness, stop on the dime moves, Spanoulis never could create space on such level, and being 6'4 guy, his shot will always be contested otherwise. TO be a star, you need to be able to create your own shot! You simply do understand the level difference between NBA stars and European stars, the speed, the athleticism is just on another level. We had MLS fans who said Donovan is better than 95% of Premier league guys, you doing same thing, you are simply clueless.

Are you a comedian, what does it matter he recorded high vertical if he refuses to dunk lol, guy has always been below the rim guy who would be block magnet in the NBA, plain and simple. He had very good handle at Euroleague level, so they were unable to trap him, he was very smart at that level, so he was the right guy to have the ball and opperate offense, and he was super clutch, hense he build great legacy at the level he played.

Recently you also posted how Papagiannis had 40+ vertical jump. ANother great proof that you either lying or that it means nothing, 7'2 guy with 40 inch vertical, and guess what, he is a complete stiff who barely ever dunks...

Talent doesnt translate linearly. Just because guy was better in one level, does not mean he will be better at another level. Luka Garza was much better college player than ANthony Davis, but you do not take Garza before Davis, thats why scouting exist. Yes, SOME worse Euroleague players than Spanoulis became NBA material players, but to begin with, they all were role guys, and they all had role guy abilities. Like Kleber, Ingles, Theis. Firstly, they all played defense and they knew how to be role guys to begin with. Spanoulis was ''T-Mac'' in Coby Whites body, yes, he was smart enough to probably find his NBA role, but he never proved that and NO ONE was actually shocked he didnt make it EXCEPT you.

Not one player on 2006 or 2008 USA teams could guard Spanoulis. He blew past every single one of them, and they tried player after player. He blew by them all with absolute ease. You have never seen Spanoulis play a game if you believe any of this.

So why was he NBA bust then? I mean he was not like Dejan Bodiroga real European basketball legend who didn't want to go to the NBA. Spanoulis went to the NBA but runned away quickly. If he had all this what was he missing - toughness, balls?

Chances are being 2007 he wouldn't take enough pull up 22 ft shots for the coaches liking.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,719

Post#1664 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:40 pm

Mirotic12 is fine, he has an opinion just like everybody else here. His only difference is that he has to say his opinion an uncountable number of times :)
links135
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,335

Post#1665 » by links135 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:41 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:You know for a moment I tough Mirotic12 is Vasillis Spanoulis posting here trying to overcome his mental problems due to failure in the NBA. Like KD on twitter

I am not joking, I actually thought that, so I tried to look up if hes ever posted at a time SPanoulis was playing :D He did, so they are not the same person, maybe its his dad or smth? I am Euroleague fan, I appreaciate Spanoulis as well, but I also see limitations, but with that man, the delusion is ridiculous.

Brother??? :D
I'm so sorry I have to sh*t on Spanoulis (respect for him) but if this is the only way to get this man off of this forum, he left us no choice. I mean enough is enough. Some people can be annoying but there are limits, we must protect this forum so we can procede with good conversation.

Now back to our regular **** posting of who was better, LBJ or MJ.
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#1666 » by peZt » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:44 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:You know for a moment I tough Mirotic12 is Vasillis Spanoulis posting here trying to overcome his mental problems due to failure in the NBA. Like KD on twitter

I am not joking, I actually thought that, so I tried to look up if hes ever posted at a time SPanoulis was playing :D He did, so they are not the same person, maybe its his dad or smth? I am Euroleague fan, I appreaciate Spanoulis as well, but I also see limitations, but with that man, the delusion is ridiculous.

mirotic12 has been trolling Basketball Forums ever since I can remember and is quite a known personality on Basketball Communites online under different names. I remember when I was active on insidehoops and he was even more **** insane with his takes back then and genuinely argued for Spanoulis > LeBron
peZt
Sixth Man

Post#1667 » by peZt » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:47 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Wow... basketball is just top-10 in Germany right? Not evwn top 5?

This forum is just full of posts about how basketball is extremely unpopular in Germany. And even links to data that supposedly proves that. It's complete and total BS. As someone that has followed European basketball leagues for a long time, I can assure you that Germany is definitely one of the European countries where basketball is most popular.

There arenas are almost always packed in every single European game, no matter what team is playing, no matter which European league, and it's been that way for years and years and years. It's a big myth that no one in Germany likes basketball. A really big myth.

Lmao dude the World Cup wasn't even shown on german TV, only on some niche online provider whose target audience are Basketball fans. So basically only people who were already Basketball Fans were watching the World Cup. Only the final was finally shown on TV. Nobody outside of Basketball Fans knew of this World Cup until they beat USA.

Basketball is as niche as it gets in Germany. Has a very enthusiastic fanbase, hence the full arenas, but it is a very, very small fanbase. I would rank Football, Handball, Tennis, Racing, Track, Cycling, even American Football, Ski-jumping, Biathlon and boxing above Basketball when it comes to mainstream appeal. All of those sports have regular apperances on TV. In Basketball only the World Cup Finale is shown on TV and only because Germany made it that far.

It is not a myth, it is a fact. And I'm german unlike you
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,934

Post#1668 » by BelgradeNugget » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:47 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:Mirotic12 is fine, he has an opinion just like everybody else here. His only difference is that he has to say his opinion an uncountable number of times :)

There is difference between expressing opinion and just trolling. I mean if you don't like the NBA, and he obviously doesn't, why post on NBA forum?
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#1669 » by -Luke- » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:57 pm

peZt wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Wow... basketball is just top-10 in Germany right? Not evwn top 5?

This forum is just full of posts about how basketball is extremely unpopular in Germany. And even links to data that supposedly proves that. It's complete and total BS. As someone that has followed European basketball leagues for a long time, I can assure you that Germany is definitely one of the European countries where basketball is most popular.

There arenas are almost always packed in every single European game, no matter what team is playing, no matter which European league, and it's been that way for years and years and years. It's a big myth that no one in Germany likes basketball. A really big myth.

Lmao dude the World Cup wasn't even shown on german TV, only on some niche online provider whose target audience are Basketball fans. So basically only people who were already Basketball Fans were watching the World Cup. Only the final was finally shown on TV. Nobody outside of Basketball Fans knew of this World Cup until they beat USA.

Basketball is as niche as it gets in Germany. Has a very enthusiastic fanbase, hence the full arenas, but it is a very, very small fanbase. I would rank Football, Handball, Tennis, Racing, Track, Cycling, even American Football, Ski-jumping, Biathlon and boxing above Basketball when it comes to mainstream appeal. All of those sports have regular apperances on TV. In Basketball only the World Cup Finale is shown on TV and only because Germany made it that far.

It is not a problem for me to find people to talk to about table tennis or snooker. Basketball? Almost impossible. One work colleague watches the local club that now plays in the 2nd divison, but even he knows next to nothing about basketball and only watches out of local patriotism.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#1670 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:01 pm

og15 wrote:How does Spanoulis always sneak into any international related basketball discussion?

Well because realgm has not rebanned the poster who has a unhealthy obsession with him unlike other message boards.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#1671 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:03 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:Mirotic12 is fine, he has an opinion just like everybody else here. His only difference is that he has to say his opinion an uncountable number of times :)

Well he has managed to get two threads locked due to his postings, so clearly he isn’t fine.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,060

Post#1672 » by ItsDanger » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:04 pm

Some people are disconnected from what's really going on and have adopted an agenda to promote international basketball regardless of any facts. One would hope it's because of their job's demands.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#1673 » by Buckets22 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:12 pm

Leave Mirotic12 alone! He claims that a league where Shane Foooocking Larkin is the MVP is better than the NBA!.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,934

Post#1674 » by BelgradeNugget » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:30 pm

Buckets22 wrote:Leave Mirotic12 alone! He claims that a league where Shane Foooocking Larkin is the MVP is better than the NBA!.

I think us, as posters on this forum, must try to help him. Obsession is mental condition and it must be treated otherwise it can cause serious problems in life. Our responsibility as posters here is to remind him on his condition, recommend him to search for help and wish him quick healing.

Mirotic12 we love you :)
BernteB
Senior
And1: 905

Post#1675 » by BernteB » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:36 pm

peZt wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

i call bullshite!
peZt
Sixth Man

Post#1676 » by peZt » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:51 pm

BernteB wrote:
peZt wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

i call bullshite!

Well, I can give you some receipts:

Not in the top 10 of most televised sports (even Figure Skating is in the top 10 lmao)
https://fitneo.de/diese-sportarten-sind-im-fernsehen-bei-deutschen-am-beliebtesten/

Not in the top 10 of most active members of a sport in Germany
https://www.sportmember.de/de/artikel/beliebteste-sportarten-deutschland

Here a survey of most popular sports in Germany and it's not even in the top 15. The percentage meaning the percentage of the population who declared they are interested in the sport. So at least less than 4% of Germans are interested in Basketball.
https://www.marktmeinungmensch.de/media/uploads/2021/04/24/sporarten-passiv.png

What sports germans like to watch on TV. Again, not even in the top 10
https://cdn.statcdn.com/Infographic/images/normal/7450.jpeg

Also not in the top 13 most popular sport according to this survey
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/73116733_3033618769992014_1235757950434279424_n.png?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=rdqg8lAjQKQAX_IwI1o&_nc_ht=scontent-fra3-1.xx&oh=00_AfC_zFHNBtEE0CPJjZiSH3s4YpQ_xdmEDAT-GgOZ7ASenQ&oe=65258FBA
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,719

Post#1677 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:02 pm

Americans: we don't care about the world cup
Germans: we don't even care about basketball, but we won the world cup anyway, because, you know, we were bored haha
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#1678 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:07 pm

-Luke- wrote:
peZt wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

It is not a problem for me to find people to talk to about table tennis or snooker. Basketball? Almost impossible. One work colleague watches the local club that now plays in the 2nd divison, but even he knows next to nothing about basketball and only watches out of local patriotism.

AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,186

Post#1679 » by AdagioPace » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:19 pm

peZt wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

Really? I thought it was broadcasted on ZDF (2nd german channel)
I watched the game on swedish 1st channel (with a VPN) because the italian public TV didn't buy the rights.

how can ski jumping be 2nd most popular sport in germany is beyond my comprehension :lol:
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,186

Post#1680 » by AdagioPace » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:26 pm

:lol:
it's the Godwin's law applied to basketball.
"as an online discussion about international basketball grows longer (regardless of topic or scope), the probability of a comparison to Spanoulis or Arvydas Sabonis approaches 1."
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes

Return to International Basketball