FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...)

Moderator: THE J0KER

new WORLD CHAMPION this Sunday will be?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:19 pm

Germany
48%
Serbia
52%

Total votes: 137

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,571

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 FINALS : GERMANY vs SERBIA (final poll added, vote and be wrong again) 

Post#1701 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:46 am

76ciology wrote:Just watched the game and will post my vids later.

Haliburton is overrated. All he do is to push the pace to strengthen USA’s small ball. But he’s not someone you can count on in the halfcourt.

SGA was pacing. And Canada made the right call to let Brooks cook and when USA gets serious down the stretch Canada saved a lot of SGA ammo. SGA is more than a level above Brunson and Haliburton.

SGA made the right decision to not hunt Reaves down the stretch but USA made the wrong decision not to send help on Barrett and Brooks attacking Reaves. Ingram being a negative and Brunson underperforming hurts the USA in this tourney

Just had dinner and about to watch the second game now here

Crunch time 4th

Dagger at OT to seal it

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...) 

Post#1702 » by -Luke- » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:17 am

AdagioPace wrote:
peZt wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
This forum is just full of posts about how basketball is extremely unpopular in Germany. And even links to data that supposedly proves that. It's complete and total BS. As someone that has followed European basketball leagues for a long time, I can assure you that Germany is definitely one of the European countries where basketball is most popular.

There arenas are almost always packed in every single European game, no matter what team is playing, no matter which European league, and it's been that way for years and years and years. It's a big myth that no one in Germany likes basketball. A really big myth.

Lmao dude the World Cup wasn't even shown on german TV, only on some niche online provider whose target audience are Basketball fans. So basically only people who were already Basketball Fans were watching the World Cup. Only the final was finally shown on TV. Nobody outside of Basketball Fans knew of this World Cup until they beat USA.

Basketball is as niche as it gets in Germany. Has a very enthusiastic fanbase, hence the full arenas, but it is a very, very small fanbase. I would rank Football, Handball, Tennis, Racing, Track, Cycling, even American Football, Ski-jumping, Biathlon and boxing above Basketball when it comes to mainstream appeal. All of those sports have regular apperances on TV. In Basketball only the World Cup Finale is shown on TV and only because Germany made it that far.

It is not a myth, it is a fact. And I'm german unlike you

Really? I thought it was broadcasted on ZDF (2nd german channel)
I watched the game on swedish 1st channel (with a VPN) because the italian public TV didn't buy the rights.

how can ski jumping be 2nd most popular sport in germany is beyond my comprehension :lol:

Yeah, these opportunists broadcasted the final because - other than soccer - most Germans are fans of winning and not of a particular sports. They had national team legend Robin Benzing as an expert in the studio and during halftime the moderator asked him why USA didn't win gold. You could see how Benzing was thinking "Why the hell are you asking me about team USA? I've never played there." Before yesterday ZDF and ARD couldn't distinguish basketball from rowing.
jk31
Rookie
And1: 669

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...) 

Post#1703 » by jk31 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:25 am

-Luke- wrote:
AdagioPace wrote:
peZt wrote:
Lmao dude the World Cup wasn't even shown on german TV, only on some niche online provider whose target audience are Basketball fans. So basically only people who were already Basketball Fans were watching the World Cup. Only the final was finally shown on TV. Nobody outside of Basketball Fans knew of this World Cup until they beat USA.

Basketball is as niche as it gets in Germany. Has a very enthusiastic fanbase, hence the full arenas, but it is a very, very small fanbase. I would rank Football, Handball, Tennis, Racing, Track, Cycling, even American Football, Ski-jumping, Biathlon and boxing above Basketball when it comes to mainstream appeal. All of those sports have regular apperances on TV. In Basketball only the World Cup Finale is shown on TV and only because Germany made it that far.

It is not a myth, it is a fact. And I'm german unlike you

I watched the game on swedish 1st channel (with a VPN) because the italian public TV didn't buy the rights.

how can ski jumping be 2nd most popular sport in germany is beyond my comprehension :lol:

Yeah, these opportunists broadcasted the final because - other than soccer - most Germans are fans of winning and not of a particular sports. They had national team legend Robin Benzing as an expert in the studio and during halftime the moderator asked him why USA didn't win gold. You could see how Benzing was thinking "Why the hell are you asking me about team USA? I've never played there." Before yesterday ZDF and ARD couldn't distinguish basketball from rowing.

Well it was not in free TV, but at least all german games have been streamed for free by the Telekom on their streaming portal MagentaSport. It has been like that for (I dunno exactly) the last 10 years or so. If you want to watch games without german participation, you need the MagentaSport-Abo. For me as a fan, this is sufficient as especially the quality of the stream and the experts and everything are much better than games streamed in 480p on TV. And on TV you have commentators who never do basketball at all and they try to tell you that most of the times the team that wins the tipoff wins the game and such stuff.
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#1704 » by -Luke- » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:36 am

jk31 wrote:
-Luke- wrote:
AdagioPace wrote:

Well it was not in free TV, but at least all german games have been streamed for free by the Telekom on their streaming portal MagentaSport. It has been like that for (I dunno exactly) the last 10 years or so. If you want to watch games without german participation, you need the MagentaSport-Abo. For me as a fan, this is sufficient as especially the quality of the stream and the experts and everything are much better than games streamed in 480p on TV. And on TV you have commentators who never do basketball at all and they try to tell you that most of the times the team that wins the tipoff wins the game and such stuff.

Yeah, I watched all the games on Magenta. It's a great service. Watched parts of the final at ZDF yesterday and it was like you said. Benzing and Doreth as experts saved it, and the commentator at least read something about basketball before the final. But without Doreth he would have been lost. It would be great if Eurosport broadcasted some basketball but it's probably too expensive for them.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,222

Post#1705 » by lambchop » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:38 am

RookieStar wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Wow... basketball is just top-10 in Germany right? Not evwn top 5?

This forum is just full of posts about how basketball is extremely unpopular in Germany. And even links to data that supposedly proves that. It's complete and total BS. As someone that has followed European basketball leagues for a long time, I can assure you that Germany is definitely one of the European countries where basketball is most popular.

There arenas are almost always packed in every single European game, no matter what team is playing, no matter which European league, and it's been that way for years and years and years. It's a big myth that no one in Germany likes basketball. A really big myth.

As someone who isn't European, do you mean to tell me those other posters( especially German ones) are not saying the truth when they said basketball isn't one of their top 10 popular sports?

I mean arenas are packed in the USA for basketball games yet Im gonna say to you right now football is the #1 game.

He is definitely right about arenas being packed. There is something to be said about German sports fan culture. When looking at it carefully it's evident that there is genuine interest and support for YOUR city's team. A lot of basketball Bundesliga teams are from cities/villages with 30 000 to 120 000 people so the citizens actually know their own team's schedule and players well, though they know nothing about basketball in general. Germans are also willing to pay 5 to 10 euros admission to watch a 5th/6th league game, as long as it's the village team. In a country like Spain where basketball is waaay more popular you're getting cancelled for asking people to pay to watch that level of play.

The issue is that the small amount of fans simply isn't enough to get basketball televised. Those fans have no desire to watch any other team and they generally go to all the home games so why would they watch other random teams on TV... If there were money to be made, there would be TV deals in place.

Also, if you're from Germany, you quickly learn how small the basketball community is. A German basketball analyst just pointed that out yesterday. I've personally played against 4 players on that current national team roster ( maybe 5 with Theis, but I'm not 100% sure). That's not because I'm some standout athlete, but rather cause there just aren't many teams. So we have to travel 300 to 400km just to find a good opponent at an amateur/semi pro level. So at some point it's bound to happen.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#1707 » by hyper316 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:47 pm

Redeem Team part 2 will be a spectacle
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,190

Post#1708 » by Mickey8 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:49 pm

They will need walking canes if they survive the long NBA season.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#1709 » by Andi Obst » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:02 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:This forum is just full of posts about how basketball is extremely unpopular in Germany. And even links to data that supposedly proves that. It's complete and total BS. As someone that has followed European basketball leagues for a long time, I can assure you that Germany is definitely one of the European countries where basketball is most popular.

This is a hilariously bad take.

Please, go on and tell Germans who know like 5 people who can name more than 3 players from the team that just won the World Cup how popular basketball is in their country.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,716

Post#1710 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:16 pm

Man, I always thought Germany is a monster basketball nation, they just don't know it yet. And I hope they never find out otherwise we're all ****.
Ville5
Sophomore
And1: 313

Post#1711 » by Ville5 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:43 pm

The Latvian players arrived home today and many thousands came to greet them. It's a celebration :clap:

Read on Twitter
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,156

Post#1712 » by Edrees » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:22 pm

r0drig0lac wrote:
Read on Twitter

NBA players actually care about the olympics when it's not simply a FIBA world cup.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#1713 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:50 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:This forum is just full of posts about how basketball is extremely unpopular in Germany. And even links to data that supposedly proves that. It's complete and total BS. As someone that has followed European basketball leagues for a long time, I can assure you that Germany is definitely one of the European countries where basketball is most popular.

This is a hilariously bad take.

Please, go on and tell Germans who know like 5 people who can name more than 3 players from the team that just won the World Cup how popular basketball is in their country.

I was gonna say most Canadians could not name 5 Canadian basketball players.

Outside of basketball fans, most guys would not even be able to name Shai or Jamal Murray.

Basketball is just not that popular compared to other sports outside the USA.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1714 » by 76ciology » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:14 am

Talent gap is closer than before. Other teams have better chemistry (some has been playing together for 10+ years) and have more talented bigs to make up for it.

USA having better talent will definitely make a difference that other teams will have hard time to match. But again, talent gap (even on coaching) is catching up and in a do or die type environment, variance play a bigger role. Upsets, although not very likely, is more likely than before.

More concerning is this current group of upcoming stars from US to replace LeBron, Curry and KD doesnt look that promising outside Ant Edwards who’s arguably only just as good or maybe a level below as international star SGA. For sure, every year there’s gonna be new talent incoming. But looking at the trend, the talented players with superstar upside has been coming from EU or Africa like Doncic, Giannis, Embiid, Jokic or Wembanyama.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 911

Post#1715 » by Pokuokic » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:32 pm

One of the worst losses ever in basketball for Serbia golden chance after having a easy run only really having to beat Canada, before the tournament I would have said quarter finals was good but the way thing's played out this was a terrible finish who knows when they will ever have such a easy run to the finals again blew it big time. They just shat the bed silver is a massive disappointment.

Guduric should never be on the NT again the guy is always ready to lose a game hopefully they replace Simanic (hopefully he comes back to ball) with Poku, Guduric with Micic and Ristic with Jokic for the Olympics. It's a shame there is no legit 6'8+ SF for Serbia currently it's all SG's/PF's to balance out the team. Bring back Kalanic as well still I think Lucic is a bit old now Kalanic could be the missing link I'd swap him and Davidovac.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#1716 » by whitehops » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:18 pm

congrats to germany! it was a great tournament to watch overall, looking forward to next year's olympics.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,190

Post#1717 » by Mickey8 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:38 pm

Pokuokic wrote:One of the worst losses ever in basketball for Serbia golden chance after having a easy run only really having to beat Canada, before the tournament I would have said quarter finals was good but the way thing's played out this was a terrible finish who knows when they will ever have such a easy run to the finals again blew it big time. They just shat the bed silver is a massive disappointment.

Guduric should never be on the NT again the guy is always ready to lose a game hopefully they replace Simanic (hopefully he comes back to ball) with Poku, Guduric with Micic and Ristic with Jokic for the Olympics. It's a shame there is no legit 6'8+ SF for Serbia currently it's all SG's/PF's to balance out the team. Bring back Kalanic as well still I think Lucic is a bit old now Kalanic could be the missing link I'd swap him and Davidovac.

What do you mean golden opportunity, nobody expected us to be in the finals before the tournament. We have lost important player in the rotation in the first two minute of the finals, still had the chance. I think this was the great tournament for Serbia and next year we should be contending for one of the medals, if everyone's is healthy and some players who canceled this year are ready to play in Paris. Germany was little bit better and they are the team who is having continuity from the last year unlike us. Jovic can cover SF but he was exclusively used at PF, which I didn't like it, he should have been mixed at both positions. Against the tall Germany front court we should have countered with Milutinov,Petrusev,Jovic. Pesic should have been more flexible in the finals but overall he did solid job unlike last year at Eurobasket.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,811

Post#1718 » by UcanUwill » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:03 pm

My favorite No Dunks guys had a nice recap of medal rounds, they are not FIBA experts to say the least, but are fans who actually watched these games (unlike some media members who didnt even realze Jokic aint playing..) and at least they try to pronounce foreign guy names right. Recommend to listen to it.

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#1719 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:36 pm

UcanUwill wrote:My favorite No Dunks guys had a nice recap of medal rounds, they are not FIBA experts to say the least, but are fans who actually watched these games (unlike some media members who didnt even realze Jokic aint playing..) and at least they try to pronounce foreign guy names right. Recommend to listen to it.

It's really sad that a major US sports media had a segment where one of their commentators actually claimed Serbia was making the finals because they had Jokic on their team. I mean come on.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1720 » by 76ciology » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:38 pm

I saw Petrusev play. I think he’s respected as an offensive player. Their coach, who i really respect for I do think Serb’s is the best coached team out there, decided to put him in when they’re needing offense.

Petrusev can shoot 3s and score from the post, you can’t just switch unto him to defend the two man game unlike Reed. Defensively, he’s mobile and not slow footed. he’s just average defensively to just slightly average at best.

Jovic is very raw and I dont see much upside with him. But he’s got good shooting touch and physique.

The guy that impressed me is Aleksa Avramović. This guy is smart and plays both ends like Pat Beverly but a way better shooter.

I love the Serbian fans. Ive never seen a group of fans so nice and passionate. They were just standing the entire time, just sucks for the people behind them. A lot of then are like Jokic’s brother and giving the middle finger to the refs the entire game :lol:

Serbs has the best coach and the best coached team. They were like a machine from pregame to during the game. When someone is down, its next man up. Everyone played with effort and is very smart. Avramovic was one time even drawing at the white board telling stuffs to his coach during the deadball

The biggest shot in the game
Celebration

Return to International Basketball