FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...)

Moderator: THE J0KER

new WORLD CHAMPION this Sunday will be?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:19 pm

Germany
48%
Serbia
52%

Total votes: 137

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...) 

Post#1681 » by RookieStar » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:27 pm

Message Boar wrote:
lambchop wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Wow... basketball is just top-10 in Germany right? Not evwn top 5?

Top 15 actually. Somewhere around 14 or 15. The program and structures are professional, but it's really not popular.

Hopefully this will give it another boost, then. But there's a lot of popular sports to compete with, for sure.

Yeah..and what better player to succeed Dirk than Franz to boost that popularity
RookieStar
RealGM

Re: FIBA World Cup 2023 : GERMANY are the new World Champions! (takes on the world and beats it for once...) 

Post#1682 » by RookieStar » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:31 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Wow... basketball is just top-10 in Germany right? Not evwn top 5?

This forum is just full of posts about how basketball is extremely unpopular in Germany. And even links to data that supposedly proves that. It's complete and total BS. As someone that has followed European basketball leagues for a long time, I can assure you that Germany is definitely one of the European countries where basketball is most popular.

There arenas are almost always packed in every single European game, no matter what team is playing, no matter which European league, and it's been that way for years and years and years. It's a big myth that no one in Germany likes basketball. A really big myth.

As someone who isn't European, do you mean to tell me those other posters( especially German ones) are not saying the truth when they said basketball isn't one of their top 10 popular sports?

I mean arenas are packed in the USA for basketball games yet Im gonna say to you right now football is the #1 game.
maverick4178
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#1683 » by maverick4178 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:47 pm

AdagioPace wrote:Really? I thought it was broadcasted on ZDF (2nd german channel)
I watched the game on swedish 1st channel (with a VPN) because the italian public TV didn't buy the rights.

how can ski jumping be 2nd most popular sport in germany is beyond my comprehension :lol:

The final was broadcasted on ZDF. A last minute decision by the network.
The rest of the games were not on network TV.

For a long time it has been Ski Jumping or Biathlon as second most popular.
Why? Because Germany has been rather successful in both and as a winter sport they clash only a little bit with football. And during the football season no other sport exists in the media.

I am a big ice hockey fan and that team also had some decent results the last few years and some extremely good players in the NHL. But hardly anyone knows about that.

Handball is usually regarded as the second most popular team sport, and even they had trouble to get media coverage of their last few tournaments.

There is really no point in discussing if any particular sport is the 5th most popular or 15th most popular, since the niche sports start with the second most popular sport, as football still rules all, not matter how bad they are right now.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,814

Post#1684 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:51 pm

maverick4178 wrote:
AdagioPace wrote:Really? I thought it was broadcasted on ZDF (2nd german channel)
I watched the game on swedish 1st channel (with a VPN) because the italian public TV didn't buy the rights.

how can ski jumping be 2nd most popular sport in germany is beyond my comprehension :lol:

Why? Because Germany has been rather successful in both and as a winter sport they clash only a little bit with football. And during the football season no other sport exists in the media.

I am a big ice hockey fan and that team also had some decent results the last few years and some extremely good players in the NHL. But hardly anyone knows about that.

Handball is usually regarded as the second most popular team sport, and even they had trouble to get media coverage of their last few tournaments.

There is really no point in discussing if any particular sport is the 5th most popular or 15th most popular, since the niche sports start with the second most popular sport, as football still rules all, not matter how bad they are right now.

Do you think it will shift now when country is good at it, I mean basketball? In Lithuania, one of the most popular random sports, that I see is on tv all the time, is Strongmen competition. YOu know what I am talking about? BEcause we were very good at it, randomly just like basketball. Good to love men here, most of them are over 6'2, they flip 200kg tires for a living, or dunking a basketball, and then there is me...
CD_41
Sophomore
And1: 334

Post#1685 » by CD_41 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:00 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
maverick4178 wrote:

Do you think it will shift now when country is good at it, I mean basketball? In Lithuania, one of the most popular random sports, that I see is on tv all the time, is Strongmen competition. YOu know what I am talking about? BEcause we were very good at it, randomly just like basketball. Good to love men here, most of them are over 6'2, they flip 200kg tires for a living, or dunking a basketball, and then there is me...

Another German here.
Basketball is really not that big of a deal in Germany. Almost none of my friends even knew that there was a world cup going on. There is basically no media coverage and like others said, no broadcasting. When Dirk was playing internationally, like back in the 2010s, there was some regular broadcasting. But even though Germany got far in some tournaments, there was almost no effect on young people getting into the sport.

So I guess that even though we are world champions, there will be no basketball boom.
"No sense in honoring an internet bet. This isn’t the real world get over stop crying like a baby."
"My first name is Hussien. Would you expect Saddam to honor a bet he made with Kuwait or the US?"

Hussein Fatal after losing a bet.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,412

Post#1686 » by Nuntius » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:02 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:

This forum is just full of posts about how basketball is extremely unpopular in Germany. And even links to data that supposedly proves that. It's complete and total BS. As someone that has followed European basketball leagues for a long time, I can assure you that Germany is definitely one of the European countries where basketball is most popular.

There arenas are almost always packed in every single European game, no matter what team is playing, no matter which European league, and it's been that way for years and years and years. It's a big myth that no one in Germany likes basketball. A really big myth.

Interesting. I do not remember basketball being popular back in the early 10s (circa 12-13). Is this a recent development?
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#1687 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:06 pm

CD_41 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
maverick4178 wrote:

Another German here.
Basketball is really not that big of a deal in Germany. Almost none of my friends even knew that there was a world cup going on. There is basically no media coverage and like others said, no broadcasting. When Dirk was playing internationally, like back in the 2010s, there was some regular broadcasting. But even though Germany got far in some tournaments, there was almost no effect on young people getting into the sport.

So I guess that even though we are world champions, there will be no basketball boom.

I watched Flula Borg's interview, he likes basketball. But you know its not popular in your country when fan of it, says, out of American sports, I like basketball a lot.
You know what I mean, guys from some more basketball crazy countries, would never call it '''American sport'' at this point, it is like insulting, ''its not Hand egg, Euro ball exists too you know etc..''' :lol:
maverick4178
Ballboy

Post#1688 » by maverick4178 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:13 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
maverick4178 wrote:

I don't think so. I usually don't like ranking team sports and individual sports in the same lists.
And one of the reasons for that is, that team sports have a much harder time to compete wiht almighty football. Most individual sports have that one event maybe two per year where they become relevant in Germany and get some media coverage and they can improve their popularity dramatically if they do well in these competitions. But for team sports one World Cup or European Championship does very little. It usually attracts a few casual fans that will tune in again next year, but the leagues still remain in obscurity.
For real popularity you need both actual fans and the casual fans, because without casual fans there is no media coverage there are no bigger sponsoring deals with big brands and therefore there is no additional money.
Sure, for a short time there will be a little boost based on this gold medal, just like there was in ice hockey after they won Silver in the Olympics. But these two sports in particular have one huge problem. None of our best players play at home. The top players are in the NBA and NHL respectively, and I love Andi Obst, Jo Voigtmann, Jo Thiemann, Maodo Lo and all the others, but you would need guys like Wagner, Schröder or Theis here, and if not in Germany at least somewhere nearby in Europe. That could generate a little more interest in the mainstream, but you are not going to get casual fans to get up at 1am to watch the Orlando Magic.

Tldr: I would be very surprised if any boost in popularity lasts longer than a month or two.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1689 » by RookieStar » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:13 pm

For the Olympics, who is the "secret weapon" for the German team? Like who is the player they will bring to improve their chance in winning?

I mean, Team USA could bring a whole new 10 players ( A team )
Serbia could bring Jokic.
Sabonis, Porz, Murray , etc could join their team to make them more dangerous.

I don't know who GER could bring. I mean don't get me wrong, my boy Franz is ready to step up and that's fine lol
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1690 » by RookieStar » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:16 pm

Also, another question for ze Germans. How does the basketball salaries compare ( aside from European football of course ) compare to the more popular sports in your country. I mean, us giving MoSwag that 16m contract and Franz anticipated max salary... sure it's in USD but I would think that would be motivation enough to get into the nba for a lot of people.
maverick4178
Ballboy

Post#1691 » by maverick4178 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:20 pm

RookieStar wrote:For the Olympics, who is the "secret weapon" for the German team? Like who is the player they will bring to improve their chance in winning?

I don't know who GER could bring. I mean don't get me wrong, my boy Franz is ready to step up and that's fine lol

I think the only one I believe could have made this team, but missed due to injury was Nick Weiler-Babb.
He could be a useful defender, but not sure if he would really make a significant difference.

I don't think Hartenstein and Kleber are options, but who knows.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#1692 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:21 pm

RookieStar wrote:Also, another question for ze Germans. How does the basketball salaries compare ( aside from European football of course ) compare to the more popular sports in your country. I mean, us giving MoSwag that 16m contract and Franz anticipated max salary... sure it's in USD but I would think that would be motivation enough to get into the nba for a lot of people.

I am no german, but what kid picks up sport thinking what will pay best? If he does, he will still pick Soccer and racing first, sports annoymos with Germany anyway. Everyone wants to be new Thomas Muller or Michael Schumacher there I bet.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#1693 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:23 pm

maverick4178 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:For the Olympics, who is the "secret weapon" for the German team? Like who is the player they will bring to improve their chance in winning?

I think the only one I believe could have made this team, but missed due to injury was Nick Weiler-Babb.
He could be a useful defender, but not sure if he would really make a significant difference.

Best young German prospects right now? And comparisons?
Airmiess
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,353

Post#1694 » by Airmiess » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:47 pm

Thats embarrassing to lose, prime Kobe not walking through that door.
maverick4178
Ballboy

Post#1695 » by maverick4178 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:53 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
maverick4178 wrote:

Sorry, can't help you there. My knowledge about German basketball does not go that deep.
Now, if we were talking ice hockey I could write an essay (a really long one) about our best prospects.

Maybe somebody more knowledgable can help you out. I would actually be interested in this myself.
And that's it for me for today, I'm off to bed.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#1696 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:01 pm

maverick4178 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
maverick4178 wrote:

Sorry, can't help you there. My knowledge about German basketball does not go that deep.
Now, if we were talking ice hockey I could write an essay (a really long one) about our best prospects.

Maybe somebody more knowledgable can help you out. I would actually be interested in this myself.
And that's it for me for today, I'm off to bed.

Oh, ok, understood. I made a new thread on it, please contribute if you can everybody

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2318794
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#1697 » by Popovich » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:13 pm

Why are you and for what fighting for ? Better team won today , what are you fighting for ?
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#1698 » by Popovich » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:48 pm

Novak Djokovic just had a shirt mentioning late Coby Bryant the legend as Mamba mentality category.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#1699 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:09 am

BelgradeNugget wrote:
Buckets22 wrote:Leave Mirotic12 alone! He claims that a league where Shane Foooocking Larkin is the MVP is better than the NBA!.

I think us, as posters on this forum, must try to help him. Obsession is mental condition and it must be treated otherwise it can cause serious problems in life. Our responsibility as posters here is to remind him on his condition, recommend him to search for help and wish him quick healing.

Mirotic12 we love you :)

No we don’t. His account should be curbstomped.
greekman
Senior
And1: 311

Post#1700 » by greekman » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:38 am

so basically the raptors just signed the best player in the world to replace vanvleet.

Return to International Basketball