Asian Games 2023: Philippines Beat China in SF (and lately won 1st AG gold since 1962!)

Moderator: THE J0KER

durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,751

Asian Games 2023: Philippines Beat China in SF (and lately won 1st AG gold since 1962!) 

Post#1 » by durden_tyler » Thu Oct 5, 2023 1:49 am

Asian Games gold medal match: NO CHINA despite home court (cooking) advantage!

Jordan (led by RHJ) vs the Philippines for the Asian Games 5x5 basketball championship

China choked away a 22 pt lead, 18 pt lead at half time and around 7 pt lead with 2 minutes to go.

This is special for us since the Chinese have dominated this scene the last 30+ years!

*Jordan beat the Philippines in the group stages and they should be considered favorites; i don't personally care about the gold medal match, booting out China is already enough :lol:
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,522

Re: Philippines Beat China in 2023 Asian Games Basketball SF 

Post#2 » by THE J0KER » Thu Oct 5, 2023 6:39 pm

It is always sensational to turn over -18 at halftime or -7 in the last two minutes but to be fair, the Philippines were clear favorites to win this game with an individually arguably stronger lineup (China's biggest *star* is literally their coach Djordjevic and home crowd, they have no more NBA talents not even close). I'm glad so fast after such a big World Cup disappointment basketball (National Team) was the bounce-back again in the Philippines!

I know that ex-NBA Rondae Hollis-Jefferson playing for Jordan, but I'm still confused about how a team without a single AG medal from the past managed to reach the final by winning every game 20+, so no surprise if they grab the title tomorrow.
JazzP
Freshman
And1: 65

Re: Philippines Beat China in 2023 Asian Games Basketball SF 

Post#3 » by JazzP » Fri Oct 6, 2023 1:47 pm

THE J0KER wrote:It is always sensational to turn over -18 at halftime or -7 in the last two minutes but to be fair, the Philippines were clear favorites to win this game with an individually arguably stronger lineup (China's biggest *star* is literally their coach Djordjevic and home crowd, they have no more NBA talents not even close). I'm glad so fast after such a big World Cup disappointment basketball (National Team) was the bounce-back again in the Philippines!

I know that ex-NBA Rondae Hollis-Jefferson playing for Jordan, but I'm still confused about how a team without a single AG medal from the past managed to reach the final by winning every game 20+, so no surprise if they grab the title tomorrow.

I agree that it doesn't seem like anyone on China's team is all that close to NBA level, but I do think China actually has a rather potent NBA prospect in Hansen Yang right now. Although he still has quite a ways to go in development himself.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,522

Re: Asian Games 2023: Philippines Beat China in SF 

Post#4 » by THE J0KER » Fri Oct 6, 2023 10:29 pm

The Philippines won their first AG gold since 1962, which is an even bigger success considering they played in the final vs Jordan without Jordan (Clarkson). Congrats!

Return to International Basketball