What International Team would you pick?

Moderator: THE J0KER

Which Team would you pick?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:48 pm

Reykjavik, Iceland (Express League)
15%
Angers BC 49, France (NM1, 3rd division in France)
15%
Caja Rioja, Spain (LEB Silver, comes after ACB and LEB Gold in Spain)
38%
Proveo Merlins Crailsheim, Germany (Pro B League, 2nd league in Germany)
8%
Big Storage Chesire Jets, UK (BBL, Top league in England)
23%

Total votes: 13

pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: What International Team would you pick? 

Post#21 » by pickIBL » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 pm

Nobody wants to make the case for France? Angers is only one great season away from France Pro B and they have an arena big enough for Pro A Ball- well that intially true... as 3000 capacity would be on the small side. But expansion can be done!
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#22 » by Basti » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:21 am

pickIBL wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
the_incredible_basti wrote:I don't if I got this right but the entire country of Iceland has 300k inhabitants. Reykjavik has around 120k inhabitants so it is still somewhat big enough. anyway I'd be hesitant to buy a team in Iceland only because there are only 300k inhabitants and soccer is probably more popular. so the talent pool is quite small. I know that you could bring in some players from the rest of Europe but well the weather is really inconsistent (and I'm being generous here) in Iceland and it certainly won't attract many players. plus I don't think the domestic league is probably 3rd tier in europe so to get some good players it is very likely to overpay them. I'm just trying to give you an outlook.

on the other hand, Iceland is arguably the best country in terms of social & medical support of these countries you mentioned.

its been along time since i've looked up rekjaviks population but i know when i quote populations its normally the greater metro area which might be the conflicting numbers. its been awhile since i've looked up the population of the country or the city so id have to check on the most recent numbers. what i do know is it gets hundreds of thousands of tourists during the IBL season as well. Actually I've been impressed with the talent. Jon Stefansson actually played for the Dallas Mavs. Plus a guy who played several years in Iceland who now plays in Spain would likely be willing to come in a play during the IBL season as well.

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_artic ... n_happens/

according to Johnson the weather is milder there than the Midwest in the winter.

yeah the weather might be not as cold as it is in the Midwest, because Reykjavik is close to the Atlantic ocean but it is snowy and rainy as hell. I'd rather live in a place where it is really cold with low humidity and once in a while some snow/rain than in an environment where weather changes every 2 hours between snow, rain and sun. trust me it is an awful weather. and not to forget that in winter time it is probably dark outside for the majority of the days.

I know that there are a few icelandic players that are very talented but these are only a handful and unless Iceland has a great sport programme it is rather unlikely to get a lot of basketball talent from a country with 300k inhabitants. combining this with other factors I think you would have to overpay to get some talent from the rest of europe/the world.

don't get me wrong, I'd be really interested to see Iceland developping a basketball programm with much talent and I'd be very interested to see some Icelandic teams playing in international competition but to me if I'd be the one looking for a team with limited budget I'd surely look somewhere else.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Basti » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:06 am

at the OP: if you're still reading this topic I guess picking the icelandic team wouldn't seem that wise eh?
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#24 » by doc.end » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:19 pm

So is it completely dead now?
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Basti » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:37 pm

looks like that
D-Wags#13
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#26 » by D-Wags#13 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:03 pm

i would have chosen crailsheim... the gym ain't that big, but they have a supportive fanbase. besides that, big cities like nuremburg, stuttgart are within an hour
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#27 » by pickIBL » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:58 pm

OwnMyTeam the website is still up and running. Certainly was off to a great start before the financial crisis and now tons of job losses. It is safe to say OMT is taking a break but the website is up and the webmaster/site owner can still be reached. The CBA is dead in the water. Most spring leagues are dying out. The IBL should be around this year for sure but long term minor league ball doesn't look promising at the moment. The most successful team in the IBL just declared bankruptcy... so hopefully the economy turns around soon... because fans actually running a team is a great idea.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL

Return to International Basketball