Moderator: THE J0KER

KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Re: NBADraft.net Agrees Pargo And Childress = Euro Busts 

Post#81 » by KWSN-Men » Fri May 1, 2009 11:36 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
talkbasket wrote:
And yet they were 6th men on NBA playoff teams. Yet they were worse in Euroleague than they were in the NBA. You seem to have selective logic.

They'd be 6th men on all but the worst of NBA teams (the playoff teams they were on weren't even that great, and Pargo was only a 6th man because New Orleans had zero depth at shooting guard). And on the worst, they'd be 4th or 5th men, if lucky. I honestly don't think Janero Pargo could start on a single NBA team... if he did, they'd probably have to be bottom 3. Childress is the bust, but Atlanta is a better team now than they were with him, so what does that tell you about Josh, really?

Pargo isn't good enough to start on his Euroleague team either. Childress is in the same exact role he was in with the Hawks, except maybe not even as important. Thos were playoff teams in the NBA they played on. Yet, it is supposedly completely laughable to suggest that the best Euro clubs could beat lotto NBA teams. Once again, there seems to be some kind of complete double standard.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#82 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Fri May 1, 2009 11:37 pm

talkbasket wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:They did what they had to do, they cashed in with some hot streaks.

Selective logic is a good term, they were both 6th men on terrible benches, Pargo especially. Pargo got paid because he ran around shooting every chance he got, and Josh Childress got paid because he was a hustle player that no longer cares enough to bust his ass on every possession.

I saw them play and they are not very good players. Olympiacos is mainly to blame for bad signings. However, it still does not change the fact that NBA fans by large percentage insist that even the worst NBA players can dominate the Euroleague and if you argue that point you are labeled a "Euro homer".

I seriously have to ask, why is it so perfectly OK for NBA fans to endlessly bash and ridicule a Euro player that fails in the NBA to meet expectations, BUT if a Euro fan points out that an American NBA player failed to meet expectations....then that poster is ridiculed, mocked, patronized and "must be a homer"?

Why exactly does this double standard exist?

General NBA Discussion. Its at the top of the page.

Can you not read?

Knicks fans bash the Celtics on their board all the time. Do Celtics fans troll over there and cry for respect? GTFO
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#83 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri May 1, 2009 11:37 pm

Both sides are mocking, ridiculing, and bashing the other. We think Vasilis Spanoulis is a colossal fraud and terrible player, and you think Josh Childress and Pargo are really bad(they are anyway).

My point is, Childress and Pargo weren't very good players ever, maybe you should have had lower expectations.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri May 1, 2009 11:38 pm

Just because a guy had a role as a 6th man in the NBA doesn't mean he was very good at it.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#85 » by KWSN-Men » Fri May 1, 2009 11:39 pm

Mumbles wrote:
talkbasket wrote:
Mumbles wrote:Man, can you imagine if USA didn't win gold. We would never hear the end of it, yet we still have international posters displaying that familiar little brother complex.

It must really hit a nerve that people will refer the Lakers, Cavs or whoever as world champs if they win it.

OKAY..so they aren't the world champions. How about NBA Champions 'The Worlds best team' ? :)

EuroLeague: Where the JR Holdens and Lynn Greers go to become stars.

Oh yea, that falling alley oop from Wade to Kobe was awesome during that game where the USA smashed Greece.

The Olympics, Team USA, Team Greece has nothing to do with the failures of Childress and Pargo in the Euroleague.

Understood, I was just pointing out the great display of basketball Team USA exhibited during that beating. Anyways it's not like you would care about deviating from the topic. After all you gladly participated in the 'debate' about the real 'world champion' (NBA Champ) Sorry though, this thread reminded me of some of the conversations last year before the olympics, so that naturally gave me a couple flashbacks of how Team USA ran through the competition.

Team USA and the Olympics has literally nothing to do with the Euroleague.
gloriousthree
Junior
And1: 0

Post#86 » by gloriousthree » Fri May 1, 2009 11:40 pm

Fair enough. I admit I wrote out of homerism in defense of my continent and let I be known as an international homer. I retract any statement or insult besides my actual point.

The NBA Champion is not the World Champion due to technicalities, whatever the talent discrepancy may be.
Greasenani FTW!!
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri May 1, 2009 11:41 pm

For what it's worth, I <3 Rudy Fernandez more than a man should <3 another man.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM

Post#88 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Fri May 1, 2009 11:42 pm

gloriousthree wrote:Fair enough. I admit I wrote out of homerism in defense of my continent and let I be known as an international homer. I retract any statement or insult besides my actual point.

The NBA Champion is not the World Champion due to technicalities, whatever the talent discrepancy may be.

Look people here are being homers too over some points, I think they know it too.

Its pointless to take offense though, its an NBA board. I'm sure there are people on the international forum who not only agree with you, but think the NBA is inferior (there has to be some out there). I'm not going to go on an international forum and tell them they're wrong.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#89 » by KWSN-Men » Fri May 1, 2009 11:42 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
talkbasket wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:They did what they had to do, they cashed in with some hot streaks.

Selective logic is a good term, they were both 6th men on terrible benches, Pargo especially. Pargo got paid because he ran around shooting every chance he got, and Josh Childress got paid because he was a hustle player that no longer cares enough to bust his ass on every possession.

I saw them play and they are not very good players. Olympiacos is mainly to blame for bad signings. However, it still does not change the fact that NBA fans by large percentage insist that even the worst NBA players can dominate the Euroleague and if you argue that point you are labeled a "Euro homer".

I seriously have to ask, why is it so perfectly OK for NBA fans to endlessly bash and ridicule a Euro player that fails in the NBA to meet expectations, BUT if a Euro fan points out that an American NBA player failed to meet expectations....then that poster is ridiculed, mocked, patronized and "must be a homer"?

General NBA Discussion. Its at the top of the page.

Can you not read?

Knicks fans bash the Celtics on their board all the time. Do Celtics fans troll over there and cry for respect? GTFO

I am not trying to troll. I was actually looking for an explanation as to why NBA fans believed such average players would dominate in Euroleague. You know, the NBA hype machine of media and fans saying these things made us expect these guys would actually be good. It's NBA fans talking like they do that caused that in the first place.

Instead of any discussion or explanation I basically get condescending and patronizing posts and complete nonsense. So great. I am out of this thread. I will probably be banned for "being a Euro homer" or some nonsense. BTW, Brandon Jennings was also supposed to "dominate and tear up the Euroleague". :roll: I'm done I don't want to get banned, but I can already see untrue accusations being made against me, "troll", etc.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#90 » by KWSN-Men » Fri May 1, 2009 11:44 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Both sides are mocking, ridiculing, and bashing the other. We think Vasilis Spanoulis is a colossal fraud and terrible player, and you think Josh Childress and Pargo are really bad(they are anyway).

My point is, Childress and Pargo weren't very good players ever, maybe you should have had lower expectations.

NBA FANS were the ones saying they would dominate, NOT Euros. NBA FANS said it. That's the point, NBA fans caused those expectations.
Mumbles
Bench Warmer
And1: 223

Post#91 » by Mumbles » Fri May 1, 2009 11:46 pm

The Olympics, Team USA, Team Greece has nothing to do with the failures of Childress and Pargo in the Euroleague

Yah, but in conversations concerning the two, there seems to be one constant. Pompous international fans attempting to shove Euroleague and European play in general down our throats. Those players failing to make an impact in Europe says more about those players than the NBA.

Talkbasket, you clearly have an agenda, you don't like it that your big brother doesn't respect you enough. Tha's fine, but we've heard it before. And from reading your posts you seem to dislike Spain as well.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM

Post#92 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Fri May 1, 2009 11:46 pm

Talkbasket, what team in the NBA are you a fan of? Go onto the Knicks board, and start a thread about how they are underrated by Knicks fans. Hell, even say they're better than the Knicks for good measure (since they probably are). Watch the reaction you get there.

Then thank God the general board is so forgiving and understanding.

Seriously, you are going off topic, and complaining about stuff that isn't even going on in this thread. Then when you stick to the topic, and people disagree with you, you go off topic again and say there's a double standard.

Just deal with the fact that people think you are wrong.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM

Post#93 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Fri May 1, 2009 11:47 pm

talkbasket wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Both sides are mocking, ridiculing, and bashing the other. We think Vasilis Spanoulis is a colossal fraud and terrible player, and you think Josh Childress and Pargo are really bad(they are anyway).

NBA FANS were the ones saying they would dominate, NOT Euros. NBA FANS said it. That's the point, NBA fans caused those expectations.

European fans said they'd beat the US team for the Olympics, and that American players are overrated, athletes that can only run and jump with no skill. Oh and also accused them of taking steroids.

Pot meet kettle.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#94 » by KWSN-Men » Fri May 1, 2009 11:49 pm

Mumbles wrote:
The Olympics, Team USA, Team Greece has nothing to do with the failures of Childress and Pargo in the Euroleague

Yah, but in conversations concerning the two, there seems to be one constant. Pompous international fans attempting to shove Euroleague and European play in general down our throats. Those players failing to make an impact in Europe says more about those players than the NBA.

Talkbasket, you clearly have an agenda, you don't like it that your big brother doesn't respect you enough. Tha's fine, but we've heard it before. And from reading your posts you seem to dislike Spain as well.

My family is Basque, there is a long history with Spain there. But no I do not hate Spain and I have no agenda.
KWSN-Men
Banned User

Post#95 » by KWSN-Men » Fri May 1, 2009 11:51 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
talkbasket wrote:

European fans said they'd beat the US team for the Olympics, and that American players are overrated, athletes that can only run and jump with no skill. Oh and also accused them of taking steroids.

Pot meet kettle.

I am out of this thread.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#96 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri May 1, 2009 11:56 pm

^^About time.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat May 2, 2009 12:00 am

Rasho Brezec is my favorite Euro evar.
gloriousthree
Junior

Post#98 » by gloriousthree » Sat May 2, 2009 12:03 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
gloriousthree wrote:Fair enough. I admit I wrote out of homerism in defense of my continent and let I be known as an international homer. I retract any statement or insult besides my actual point.

Look people here are being homers too over some points, I think they know it too.

Its pointless to take offense though, its an NBA board. I'm sure there are people on the international forum who not only agree with you, but think the NBA is inferior (there has to be some out there). I'm not going to go on an international forum and tell them they're wrong.

NO-KG-AI wrote:For what it's worth, I <3 Rudy Fernandez more than a man should <3 another man.

Thanks for accepting my apology. I know when I am at fault. I'll see you around on this board, I dont know anything about international ball. It's boring.
Greasenani FTW!!
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#99 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Sat May 2, 2009 12:12 am

Both sides are right.

The Euroleague is completely underrated by most people, mainly due to ignorance.

But any NBA team(even the Kings) would tear the Olympiacos a new a-hole in a 7 game series. It's not because the Euroleague is that bad, NBA players are JUST THAT GOOD.

Also, I GUARANTEE YOU that Euroleague->NBA busts exponentially outnumber NBA->Euroleague busts.
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,183

Post#100 » by realball » Sat May 2, 2009 2:38 am

talkbasket wrote:

YOU are using selective logic. There have been plenty of cases where players who are complete scrubs in the NBA dominated the Euroleague. Anthony Parker is one example.

Pargo was a journeyman and Childress was only hyped up because he was one of the better FAs at the time and was a 6th pick who seemed like he could break out on another team. Just because these two guys weren't able to succeed, doesn't mean that the Euroleague is on par with the NBA.

And you keep saying that the top 4 teams in the Euroleague could get in the playoffs in the NBA, and pronounce it as fact. Why exactly? The only Euro team to beat an NBA team was Maccabi Tel Aviv, back when they were the best, against a pathetic 27-win Raptors team. In preseason. And they barely beat them; they needed a game-winner from the aforementioned Parker. So how exactly have you come to this conclusion?

Also, maybe the reason why we say the NBA is better than the Euroleague because we have seen some Euroleague games on NBATV? Because we have all noticed the extreme difference in athleticism and skill level between the two leagues? That the NBA has a ton of more athletes and skilled 7-footers compared to the Euroleague? Or because most of the Euroleague's marquee players come to the NBA, whereas all the NBA's scrubs generally head to the Euroleague? Maybe, just maybe?

Return to International Basketball