ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#801 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am

Anybody notice this Grant Nelson kid from Alabama?

My goodness 6'10 with a handle. I'm gonna watch more film on him. He looks like a legit NBA prospect.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,131

Post#802 » by JDR720 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

Seems very inconsistent to want to draft shooters yet at the same time want to draft someone that is a bad shooter. Castle only made 17 3's the entire season.
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 910

Post#803 » by Pokuokic » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:16 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Anybody notice this Grant Nelson kid from Alabama?

My goodness 6'10 with a handle. I'm gonna watch more film on him. He looks like a legit NBA prospect.

He got a lot of buzz last draft playing in a weaker college and for some of his insane dunks
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#804 » by Rich4114 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 pm

In a draft that is a bit flat in talent, we need to prioritize certain skills and position. Certainly go BPA, but if BPA is like 5 guys then a big who can pass/rebound or a guy with good shooting would be ideal. Especially if the good shooter plays PG.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#805 » by Snidely FC » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 pm

fatlever wrote:from someone who doesn't watch college...
how is castle different than cody m, other than being younger, cause ya'll describing cody

Cody developed over four years of college, including a red shirt transfer year, and so was drafted at age 24. Cody developed into a player who before his knee injury was a fan favorite because of his effort and ability to impact the game without scoring.

Castle is a 5 Star recruit who at 17 won a FIBA Gold Medal with the US U-18 National Team. A 20 ppg star in high school who appears to subvert his stardom on a UConn team packed with upperclass talent. He won the Big East Rookie of the Week a record 11 times (eclipsing Carmelo Anthony's 10). He's having all this success at age 19. He's got 5 yrs before he is Cody's draft age.

I think Castle plays a more physical style. Cody played PG at Nevada and so he is perimeter oriented. Whereas Cody is a straight line driver and cutter, Castle employs a herky jerky, zig-zaggy style, and likes to find seams, post up smaller players, and worm his way to the rim. Castle spends way more time in the paint. More like a small power forward than a PG. He likewise is more physical on the defensive side, using his strong build, more than Cody who relies on length and athleticism.

Castle reminds me more of pre-injury MKG than Cody. While Castle, at least in the UConn offense, is being pegged as a "non-shooter," his shooting stroke does not have a hitch or obvious mechanical problem the way MKG's did.

I can understand those who don't want Castle noting his underwhelming shooting numbers, but if you're comparing him to Cody and MKG, the kid has a very high floor.

I won't be surprised to see him land with the Spurs, Knicks or Heat, teams that value physicality and fundamentals, and expect him to have a long and successful NBA career.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#806 » by Rich4114 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 pm

Snidely FC wrote:
how is castle different than cody m, other than being younger, cause ya'll describing cody

Cody developed over four years of college, including a red shirt transfer year, and so was drafted at age 24. Cody developed into a player who before his knee injury was a fan favorite because of his effort and ability to impact the game without scoring.

Castle is a 5 Star recruit who at 17 won a FIBA Gold Medal with the US U-18 National Team. A 20 ppg star in high school who appears to subvert his stardom on a UConn team packed with upperclass talent. He won the Big East Rookie of the Week a record 11 times (eclipsing Carmelo Anthony's 10). He's having all this success at age 19. He's got 5 yrs before he is Cody's draft age.

I think Castle plays a more physical style. Cody played PG at Nevada and so he is perimeter oriented. Whereas Cody is a straight line driver and cutter, Castle employs a herky jerky, zig-zaggy style, and likes to find seams, post up smaller players, and worm his way to the rim. Castle spends way more time in the paint. More like a small power forward than a PG. He likewise is more physical on the defensive side, using his strong build, more than Cody who relies on length and athleticism.

Castle reminds me more of pre-injury MKG than Cody. While Castle, at least in the UConn offense, is being pegged as a "non-shooter," his shooting stroke does not have a hitch or obvious mechanical problem the way MKG's did.

I can understand those who don't want Castle noting his underwhelming shooting numbers, but if you're comparing him to Cody and MKG, the kid has a very high floor.

I won't be surprised to see him land with the Spurs, Knicks or Heat, teams that value physicality and fundamentals, and expect him to have a long and successful NBA career.

All of that sounds great, but it's really hard to impact an NBA game in 2024 without the ability to shoot. If it's a shot that could be developed into something more reliable, then he sounds like a great prospect though.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#807 » by Snidely FC » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 pm

apropos of the Castle discussion, from today's NY Post:
There is obviously a lot more to his game than he has shown so far as a Husky.

But he’s also displayed the ability to work well with elite teammates, which NBA teams will no doubt appreciate and value.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/29/sports/uconns-stephon-castle-peaking-at-right-time-in-march-madness-run/
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#808 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 pm

Pokuokic wrote:

He got a lot of buzz last draft playing in a weaker college and for some of his insane dunks

He actually looks fluid for his size and his handle is pretty smooth. I wonder if he enters the draft. I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd Rd. Maybe he can develop into a point forward player off the bench.

He looks weird though. His image doesn't fit his game.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#809 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 pm

Someone compared Risacher to Miller. I just don't see it. I do like his fit though. He seems like the modern 3&D wing. His handles aren't that great which is why I can't see the Miller comparisons.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,654

Post#810 » by yosemiteben » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 pm

Snidely FC wrote:

Cody developed over four years of college, including a red shirt transfer year, and so was drafted at age 24.

Damn, I forgot that. Just checked, didn't realize Cody is 28 and will turn 29 before next season.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,172

Post#811 » by SWedd523 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 pm

Rich4114 wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:

All of that sounds great, but it's really hard to impact an NBA game in 2024 without the ability to shoot. If it's a shot that could be developed into something more reliable, then he sounds like a great prospect though.

I think the Thompson twins are showing how much positive impact you can have by doing everything else on the floor.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#812 » by MugzZo » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 pm

With so much uncertainty around lamelo I think we have to entertain the idea of topic. We need a stable starting point guard who's on the floor. We can't move forward with all our apples in the Melo basket.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#813 » by Rich4114 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:25 pm

Snidely FC wrote:apropos of the Castle discussion, from today's NY Post:

But he’s also displayed the ability to work well with elite teammates, which NBA teams will no doubt appreciate and value.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/29/sports/uconns-stephon-castle-peaking-at-right-time-in-march-madness-run/

It sounds like he's got a high basketball IQ, which we need badly. We need more players who can make winning basketball plays like keeping possessions alive, getting loose balls, being in the right spot to take advantage of defensive breakdowns, etc. Really want him to be able to shoot, but those other things definitely hold high value.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#814 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 pm

Rich4114 wrote:

It sounds like he's got a high basketball IQ, which we need badly. We need more players who can make winning basketball plays like keeping possessions alive, getting loose balls, being in the right spot to take advantage of defensive breakdowns, etc. Really want him to be able to shoot, but those other things definitely hold high value.

That's exactly what he brings. High basketball IQ. He's going to play defense and defend the top offensive threat. We need to add those kind of players. Sure his shot is questionable, but we have Melo/Miller who both can shoot. We need a leader on defense. Castle is the Draymond of guards. He's going to make winning plays and his scoring is not something we need immediately. He can find his offense over time.

I will say it again if we get the #1 pick im taking Stephon Castle. He's the most NBA ready prospect imo. Slide him at 2 guard and let him be our Marcus Smart.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#815 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 pm

If we end up with Castle or Risacher I will be a happy camper.
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 910

Post#816 » by Pokuokic » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:35 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Pokuokic wrote:

He actually looks fluid for his size and his handle is pretty smooth. I wonder if he enters the draft. I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd Rd. Maybe he can develop into a point forward player off the bench.

He looks weird though. His image doesn't fit his game.

Unless he done with basketball he will enter the draft he's a senior and will be 23 when he plays in the NBA
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#817 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:53 pm

That's right. You'd have to follow the team to know this. I tried to explain it. But I guess 2 game samples are conclusive these days around here. Not sure what happened to temperament.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#818 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:59 pm

Case in point. UConn doesn't benefit from Castle flashing his iso skills. They did just fine slaughtering a 5 seed and returning finalist by 30 points. Hurley ran sets for Cam Spencer who's the 5th most accurate 3 point shooter in college basketball. A senior. The Aztecs began to double him and force Newton and Karaban to beat them. Dared them to shoot. They crapped their pants. Newton is better off dribble penetration, though typically a better shooter from the perimeter than Castle if unguarded. First half was 9 point differential.

Second half, the Aztecs switched their top defender on Cam Spencer. One of the top defenders in the country guarding a transfer though Grayson Allen clone (that's a compliment).

The smaller player switched to Castle who used rim pressure to collapse the Aztec defense. He ran in transition. Got key stops. Set the done on defense. Made a sick touch pass to Clingan for a dunk because the defense was scrambling. When Hurley put the ball in Castle's hands, they had no answer.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#819 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:04 pm

I don't see why Castle couldn't be OG Anunoby with a much better handle given his combo guard DNA, yet a worse shot. He just needs to keep the defense honest with his 3 because he's a threat to create for others while Anunoby is not.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#820 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:13 pm

I mean, Castle finished the game with 16 points 11 rebounds, passing and handling like a combo guard. He's tough.
It has been written...

Return to Charlotte Hornets