ImageImage

LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2)

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,054

Re: LaMelephant: The LaMelo Ball Thread (#2) 

Post#441 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:23 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Please stop with the trade Lamelo stuff for at least a year or two. Its damn near ignorant to be honest. Finally get a player that's an all nba talent and want to ship him. **** stupid.

Are we just supposed to pretend like he hasn't had pretty significant injury problems for 3 years now and doesn't show any sign of improvement?

*gasp*

Giant elephant tap dancing in the middle of the room on a $260 million dollar contract and we're all gonna pretend like it's not a thing

I'm more than willing to wait and see how it goes over an ankle. If it was constant knee issues sure. If the idiot would wear some braces he would probably be okay
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,543

Post#442 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:03 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Please stop with the trade Lamelo stuff for at least a year or two. Its damn near ignorant to be honest. Finally get a player that's an all nba talent and want to ship him. **** stupid.

Are we just supposed to pretend like he hasn't had pretty significant injury problems for 3 years now and doesn't show any sign of improvement?

*gasp*

Giant elephant tap dancing in the middle of the room on a $260 million dollar contract and we're all gonna pretend like it's not a thing

I'm more than willing to wait and see how it goes over an ankle. If it was constant knee issues sure. If the idiot would wear some braces he would probably be okay
LaMelo is still immature. He has a rockstar mindset. Just listen to his interviews he's still unprofessional. Cussin while you're the face of the franchise is just not a good look.

Great talent, but he's lacking leadership. We all know he needs to wear ankle braces. Unfortunately he doesn't think he needs to.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#443 » by Robot Rock » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:12 am

How long til Miller gets traded?
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,173

Post#444 » by SWedd523 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:24 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:

*gasp*

How long is long enough to wait? He hasn't had a healthy season throughout his entire rookie deal.

Scooby and the Gang would call that a clue
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#445 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:35 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Are we just supposed to pretend like he hasn't had pretty significant injury problems for 3 years now and doesn't show any sign of improvement?

*gasp*

How long is long enough to wait? He hasn't had a healthy season throughout his entire rookie deal.

Scooby and the Gang would call that a clue

Never trust in a Ball brother stay healthy.

Lavar has been quiet for a reason. He knows his sons are injury prone. All that talking backfired on him.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#446 » by wilson115 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:07 am

yosemiteben wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Rich4114 wrote:
Well right now the choices are sell him off for pennies on the dollar, since if the Hornets are interested in moving him it's an enormous red flag for any other team. Or we let him get healthy and see if this young core can stay on the floor and show growth. If he can't stay healthy then I guess we just keep picking early in the lottery until we rebuild again and get a few extra swings with the Dallas/Miami picks.

Putting your trust in a Ball brother to get healthy is very BOLD.

I hear you, but people must understand the risk we are taking. Sure we can sell low, but at least we got from under his contract. If we don't sell now we are gonna be pretty much stuck with him for the remainder of that contract. I'm not trying to see 20 games of LaMelo a year.

I hope he gets healthy, but history tells me the odds aren't on our favor.

This sentiment is going to be shared by every team in the league if you try to trade him.

I don't understand why this seems a difficult concept to grasp. Every allegation is a confession.

We might end up like Dallas and have to send out an FRP. To take a max contract player off our hands.

Let's give this new FO a shot at the kid first.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#447 » by Bassman » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:23 pm

I think what some of us are saying is that Melo represents a significant risk given his ankle is not responding to months of treatment and multiple attempts to get him game ready. This after having multiple injuries repetitively to the same ankle. In that regard, as unlikely as it would be to get a decent trade value for him, IF a team was goofy in love with taking on that risk, and would offer a QUALITY deal below normal (non injured) market value, we should consider it.

The reality is no team will offer such a deal since demand would be lower than normal (too much risk).

Personally I fear we’ve been dealt another cruel blow. A great talent who came from a line of genetics that doomed he and his siblings to chronic debilitating injury. Hope I’m wrong, but I doubt Melo plays anywhere close to a full season again.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#448 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:50 pm

We don't have a starting PG without him so we have to keep him. That's the whole reason they're protecting their investment. Also pointless to subject him to Clifford's system in meaningless games. He'd have to unlearn everything he learned under JB which is bad enough, let alone adapt to the next coach who likely will want to implement a whole new scheme.

You don't drop this kind of coin without a bulletproof conditioning plan.

The market for All-Star level point guards is insane. It took the Knicks years and years to land theirs, longer than our center drought from Big AL to Big Mark. Look at the contract to FVV. He's 30 already. He's leading a team hovering around .500. They gave him 44 million.

Plenty of goofy GM's would love to have him, along with the ones who read the scarcity of his archetype.

But of course fans of other teams will suggest we surrender our core player for none of theirs in return or what's the point? That's what they will be saying if they're not already.
It has been written...
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#449 » by Bassman » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:20 pm

Understand all this, and I am completely onboard with shutting him down (was for that happening weeks ago). Same should be announced for Mark, whose injury situation is more mysterious than even LaMelo’s.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 558

Post#450 » by Walt Cronkite » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:20 pm

Not sure what to make of the injury, not really concerned with the shutdown announcement. Not very interested in a trade while his value must be an all-time low.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,413

Post#451 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:34 pm

If we're in this same spot next spring we can talk about making changes. Until then it's premature.

The team has better info on his medical situation, obviously, so if it looks bleak then by all means make a move. Although in that scenario it's probably also smarter to try to squeeze the first 15-20 games out of him next year and then foist damaged goods on some other franchise desperate to dream.

Right now where I'm sitting with the info we currently have it seems like the upside of Melo still trumps the downside.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,657

Post#452 » by yosemiteben » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:22 pm

LaVar opening his mouth for about the first time since we drafted LaMello:

Read on Twitter
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#453 » by Liver_Pooty » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:34 pm

yosemiteben wrote:LaVar opening his mouth for about the first time since we drafted LaMello:

Read on Twitter

Saw that. Running them steep hills on a beach worked for Jerry Rice.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#454 » by JustBuzzin » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:57 pm

yosemiteben wrote:LaVar opening his mouth for about the first time since we drafted LaMello:

Read on Twitter

Maybe he needs to go back to his roots. Start training with dad again. Hell mayble Lavar can be our courtside celebrity fan at home games. I see a bigger picture. Lavar would bring the energy to the arena. Lets go Lavar get the condo in Charlotte for a year. Lets remind them who LaMelo Ball once was! 8-)
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,173

Post#455 » by SWedd523 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 12:28 am

Not even Pepperidge Farm remembers the last time Melo played an NBA game
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#456 » by Diop » Thu Apr 4, 2024 12:55 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:

Read on Twitter

worked for Luc Longley as well, best thing for his ankles and knees
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#457 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:29 am

SWedd523 wrote:Not even Pepperidge Farm remembers the last time Melo played an NBA game

Pepperidge Farms should be banned from selling cookies. My goodness those cookies brought back some awful memories. I had to force myself to eat those things when I stayed at my grandma's house. It's literally the only sweets she had in the cabinets. :lol:
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#458 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:12 am

Diop wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Read on Twitter

worked for Luc Longley as well, best thing for his ankles and knees

Lavar is an **** but I don't think he's wrong at all on saying this. I watched a documentary years ago with nfl players trying to train with Jerry Rice and they couldn't handle half an hour. Was simple training on a beach and a steep hill. It made me exhausted watching.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,629

Post#459 » by fatlever » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:32 am

random question for anyone whose been to home games recently...
does melo typically sit near the bench in street clothes? i almost never see him around the bench at home games, only road games.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,174

Post#460 » by Rich4114 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:22 pm

fatlever wrote:random question for anyone whose been to home games recently...
does melo typically sit near the bench in street clothes? i almost never see him around the bench at home games, only road games.

I noticed this too but then realized our injury list is so long that there are actually two rows of injured player seats and he's been in the back with Mark. Probably giving more recently injured guys a chance at the floor seats :lol:

Return to Charlotte Hornets