ImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,757

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects 

Post#1201 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:07 pm

LofJ wrote:Holland can do enough of everything else that I'm not particularly worried about his shot. If he was already a decent shooter he would be the runaway number one prospect in this draft. His shot form also isn't bad, I feel confident that he'll get better. And besides just about no one played or shot well on that G-League team. Buzelis was seen as a super skilled wing that could shoot and pass and he didn't show much of that at all. The piss poor Ignite coaching and infrastructure likely made them both look worse than they are.

You can say the same thing about Castle.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,179

Post#1202 » by SWedd523 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:06 pm

MugzZo wrote:I'm starting to go back to my original favorite player in this draft. Matas buzelis. I like his game and I think if he can figure out his shooting out a bit he's a really good get for us. I could see the front office looking at that game winner over brandon miller on all star weekend and thinking what it could be like with him playing next to b-milly.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app

He was my favorite at the start simply due to the MB connection but I do think he's ended up under the radar compared to his teammates.

I really like the Odom/Wagner comp there and like the fit on the wing

He's one of a handful of guys I'm perfectly fine with drafting
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,045

Post#1203 » by EmpireFalls » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:13 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
MugzZo wrote:I'm starting to go back to my original favorite player in this draft. Matas buzelis. I like his game and I think if he can figure out his shooting out a bit he's a really good get for us. I could see the front office looking at that game winner over brandon miller on all star weekend and thinking what it could be like with him playing next to b-milly.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app

He was my favorite at the start simply due to the MB connection but I do think he's ended up under the radar compared to his teammates.

I really like the Odom/Wagner comp there and like the fit on the wing

He's one of a handful of guys I'm perfectly fine with drafting

I am never fine with drafting a guy with a questionable motor and a penchant for being a wallflower. Also, his supposed calling card, the outside shot, is not a strength at all.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,660

Post#1204 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:42 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
LofJ wrote:Holland can do enough of everything else that I'm not particularly worried about his shot. If he was already a decent shooter he would be the runaway number one prospect in this draft. His shot form also isn't bad, I feel confident that he'll get better. And besides just about no one played or shot well on that G-League team. Buzelis was seen as a super skilled wing that could shoot and pass and he didn't show much of that at all. The piss poor Ignite coaching and infrastructure likely made them both look worse than they are.

Which part? Not that the poor coaching made him look worse?

If your point is he can do other stuff like Holland, I favor Holland because he seems to be at least a couple inches taller and heavier.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,248

Post#1205 » by amcoolio » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:15 pm

I do not get what you guys see in Castle. I wouldn't even draft him if we traded down to 10. Just feel he is next in line in the Dunn/Ntilikina/Culver/Okoro/Davion Mitchell lineage. Too many players of his attributes drafted in the top 10 lately with little value. No where close to Suggs
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#1206 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:44 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

If your point is he can do other stuff like Holland, I favor Holland because he seems to be at least a couple inches taller and heavier.

I'm fine with Holland just not my first choice.

I think the Hornets will get a better feel for these prospects once they have their individual workouts. Holland has all the tools to be great, it's about improving that jumpshot. He does that then his game will take off to another level.

Honestly my first option has always been trade back for an established starter and a pick swap.

I like Keyshawn George from Miami as a big sg/PG hybrid who can be a secondary facilitator when LaMelo is out. He lacks explosion, but the 3pt shot is already there.

What's your thoughts on Keyshawn George as a trade back option?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,059

Post#1207 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:57 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:You can say the same thing about Castle.

I think the Hornets will get a better feel for these prospects once they have their individual workouts. Holland has all the tools to be great, it's about improving that jumpshot. He does that then his game will take off to another level.

Honestly my first option has always been trade back for an established starter and a pick swap.

I like Keyshawn George from Miami as a big sg/PG hybrid who can be a secondary facilitator when LaMelo is out. He lacks explosion, but the 3pt shot is already there.

I'd prefer not to draft someone that was essentially a role player on a horrid Miami team. He has some physical tools but I'd pass.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach

Post#1208 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Which part? Not that the poor coaching made him look worse?

I'd prefer not to draft someone that was essentially a role player on a horrid Miami team. He has some physical tools but I'd pass.

We would also be getting an established player back + George, but I get your point.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1209 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:16 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:I'm fine with Holland just not my first choice.

We would also be getting an established player back + George, but I get your point.

Ah didn't see the starter level player in your post. My bad. It'd depend who the player is.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#1210 » by wilson115 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 am

How tall is Holland really? Jenkins and Mika here taped out at 6'4.25" and 6'9.75" in shoes at the draft combine, so going by this clip I think it's clear Ron's 6'6" at least, but 6'8" is a reach.

On the other hand, Buzelis looks like a legit 6'10". Honestly even Brandon looks small next to him, can we say Holland and Brandon are really about the same height?

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Lastly, Sarr here really does look the part of a long and lanky 7-footer.

https://www.tiktok.com/@ote/video/7276894436108389674
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,207

Post#1211 » by JDR720 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 am

He's standing the furthest back, so he looks shorter than he actually is.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,207

Post#1212 » by JDR720 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 am

If anything Buzelis looks shorter to me. He's standing slightly closer than the other guy, yet looks shorter than he is.

I'm guessing Buzelis is about 6'9 and Holland is just under 6'8, or the same height as Brandon.
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#1213 » by wilson115 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 am

JDR720 wrote:He's standing the furthest back, so he looks shorter than he actually is.

Thought the same, could be closer to 6'7" seeing he's leaning toward Jenkins too.

On another note, just going by the eye test again, but Stephon Castle for his part looks closer to 6'5" than 6'7" going by these:

https://i.abcnewsfe.com/a/6fb3fab3-8613-4464-b298-94209cda37fd/uconn-040824_1712633825709_hpMain.jpg
(Cam Spencer listed 6'4")
https://www.courant.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/THC-sp-photo-uconn-nau-mens-basketball-5.jpg
(Tristen Newton listed 6'5")
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/25365197/2126542811.jpg
(Donovan Clingan listed 7'2", Alex Karaban listed 6'8")
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1214 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:36 am

The combine measurements shall provide these answers
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#1215 » by HornetJail » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:38 am

hell yes it's guess the player's height based on photos taken next to other dudes at weird angles to determine their height within one inch season!!!
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,840

Post#1216 » by Diop » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:07 am

You can tell by this photo, its at least 7 inches
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,248

Post#1217 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:37 am

Measurements season
He's 6'8 - future superstar
He's 6'7 - rotation player at best
He's 6'6 - bust
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#1218 » by GoBobs » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:13 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:The combine measurements shall provide these answers

If.... they get measured. Some guys elect not to...
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,525

Post#1219 » by Bassman » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:24 pm

An article on ESPN regarding the cliches used by GM’s when trading up for non-quarterbacks in the NFL made me think of how some of the same human logic gets applied to NBA draft trades. Here are those impulses that can doom a team’s future:

'Trading up was worth it to get OUR GUY' - I think this is more prevalent in basketball where the importance of one player is magnified verses football. Everything depends on relative value within the trade, which is ultimately judged years later.

'He's the missing piece' - As much as GM’s talk about taking best player available, you just know some gravitate to moves of this type. I can understand it to a point, but it usually requires paying a hefty price.

'If he hits, it will all be worth it' - No GM will ever admit or utter this phrase, but you KNOW they think it prior to some of these deals. Kai Jones anyone?

'We had extra picks' and 'We only gave up future picks' - I lumped these together as it’s the same horrible mentality. Future picks are GOLD, especially first rounders. Mitch had to mutter these at some point in his time here.

'If it doesn't work, I (the GM) won't be here for the missing picks' - I think of Cho regarding this mindset.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Post#1220 » by JMAC3 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:Measurements season
He's 6'8 - future superstar
He's 6'7 - rotation player at best
He's 6'6 - bust

I do think the height of some guys will matter more than others.

Castle for instance if he is 6-6 with his build you probably can play him 1-3, whereas if he is 6-4 then you really need his offesnse to come along to play the guard spot.

Holland, not too worried about his height. He was being miscasted as a PF for some of the early draft process, but I have always seen him more of a big wing like Jaylen Brown.

Matas probably matters some, because I am not sure whether he plays the 3/4 in NBA, so it will give more insight into his best fit. He is rumored to have a bad wingspan btw.

Dillingham is another guy that matters, him being 6-1 or 6-3 is probably worth a few draft spots.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!

Return to Charlotte Hornets