ImageImage

Prodigal Son: The Miles Bridges Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,822

Re: Prodigal Son: The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#861 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 5:40 pm

Miles will be the biggest factor in our future this off-season.

There is a chance he could walk to the highest bidder. How do we replace that production?

With Lee now the HC do we possibly go the 2 way wing route as far as building our team. Do we turn our attention to NC's very own Brandon Ingram if Bridges walks?

A lot could change the projection of this team and Bridges FA decision is for me our biggest decision of the off-season.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#862 » by fatlever » Thu May 9, 2024 6:22 pm

3rd season in a row we will be handcuffed by miles' free agency
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,215

Post#863 » by Rich4114 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:26 pm

fatlever wrote:3rd season in a row we will be handcuffed by miles' free agency

Thankfully, this is the last one. Right?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#864 » by fatlever » Thu May 9, 2024 10:11 pm

Rich4114 wrote:

Thankfully, this is the last one. Right?

haha... until miles signs a 1+1 deal like lebron does all the time.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,538

Post#865 » by GoBobs » Sat May 11, 2024 1:45 pm

It will be interesting to see if Bridges gets any other offers. My fear is that we are going to be mostly negotiating with ourselves if we want to resign him.

There are lots of good free agents this year. There is likely going to be a chance to pick up assets by helping other teams facilitate moves even if we don't want to sign any of them.

I have us at 105 million without Bridges and Bertans. The cap is 140 million or so and the tax isn't until 170. This year we had 3rd lowest payroll in the league.

Anybody know if Bridges low cap hold would allow us to sign other guys first and then push ourselves over the cap using his bird rights to resign him?

Best bet is just to slow play things. If somebody else wants him we can think about sign and trade. If not, we negotiate from a position of strength.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#866 » by JustBuzzin » Sat May 11, 2024 5:39 pm

GoBobs wrote:

It will be interesting to see if Bridges gets any other offers. My fear is that we are going to be mostly negotiating with ourselves if we want to resign him.

There are lots of good free agents this year. There is likely going to be a chance to pick up assets by helping other teams facilitate moves even if we don't want to sign any of them.

I have us at 105 million without Bridges and Bertans. The cap is 140 million or so and the tax isn't until 170. This year we had 3rd lowest payroll in the league.

Anybody know if Bridges low cap hold would allow us to sign other guys first and then push ourselves over the cap using his bird rights to resign him?

Best bet is just to slow play things. If somebody else wants him we can think about sign and trade. If not, we negotiate from a position of strength.
Good luck believing that.

Bridges agent is the best in the game at finessing teams. Rich Paul will make sure he has another suitor. We already know Detroit has been linked to Bridges. Teams like Philly could also be a backup option.

Bridges will be well paid for sure. Hopefully he doesn't leave us with nothing in return if it comes to that.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#867 » by GoBobs » Sat May 11, 2024 5:47 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
GoBobs wrote:

Good luck believing that.

Bridges agent is the best in the game at finessing teams. Rich Paul will make sure he has another suitor. We already know Detroit has been linked to Bridges. Teams like Philly could also be a backup option.

Bridges will be well paid for sure. Hopefully he doesn't leave us with nothing in return if it comes to that.

Ask Narlens Noel how that worked out, lmao. Bridges being with those Klutch clowns is another reason to hope he ends up somewhere else. That and he wants to be paid like a star for being mid.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#868 » by Bassman » Sun May 12, 2024 12:24 am

Tough spot for us as predicted. Not that many impact FA’s available, particularly at the 4. Miles is undersized for where he plays but still better than nearly any non-trade options.

If Anunoby was interested in a large contract with us AND we get the #1 pick (targeting Sarr to play PF) I’d sign him over Miles in a nanosecond.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#869 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 2:27 am

His agency will shop him for the max and try to extort a bigger contract.

But Charlotte is far away from the luxury tax, even if the owners budget a max contract for Miles.

There's just no way they let him walk for nothing.

And while motivated primarily by money like 99 9% of NBA players, Miles has been vocal about his appreciation for the city and fondness of his teammates. Players like LaMelo are his close friends and he enjoys playing alongside them.

I just can't fathom Miles turning down a near-max with his home team for a max with Detroit. Plus, Hornets can offer 5 years vs. 4 from anyone else. The overall payout can be higher from the Hornets compared to competing bids.

No excuse for not offering 5 on a near-max if/when Detroit offers 4 on a max. Hornets are nowhere near the luxury tax, and have a good thing going with the chemistry between LaMelo & Miles with their style of play uptempo, full court.

Icing on the cake, Grant Williams has very publicly pointed to Miles as a team leader in the locker room.
It has been written...
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#870 » by GoBobs » Sun May 12, 2024 3:09 am

MasterIchiro wrote:His agency will shop him for the max and try to extort a bigger contract.

But Charlotte is far away from the luxury tax, even if the owners budget a max contract for Miles.

And while motivated primarily by money like 99 9% of NBA players, Miles has been vocal about his appreciation for the city and fondness of his teammates. Players like LaMelo are his close friends and he enjoys playing alongside them.

I just can't fathom Miles turning down a near-max with his home team for a max with Detroit. Plus, Hornets can offer 5 years vs. 4 from anyone else. The overall payout can be higher from the Hornets compared to competing bids.

No excuse for not offering 5 on a near-max if/when Detroit offers 4 on a max. Hornets are nowhere near the luxury tax, and have a good thing going with the chemistry between LaMelo & Miles with their style of play uptempo, full court.

Icing on the cake, Grant Williams has very publicly pointed to Miles as a team leader in the locker room.

If we offer him a 4 or 5 year max that means 4 years from now we will be paying 90 mil per year just between LaMelo and Miles. Before that contract is up you have to resign Mark Williams and Brandon Miller. Bridges just hasn't proven he is worth 45 mil per year.

Most he is worth is 25 mil per year. I would tell him to take what PJ got or go kick rocks. If he wanted to be worth more he should have done some things differently.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,662

Post#871 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:35 am

GoBobs wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:His agency will shop him for the max and try to extort a bigger contract.

If we offer him a 4 or 5 year max that means 4 years from now we will be paying 90 mil per year just between LaMelo and Miles. Before that contract is up you have to resign Mark Williams and Brandon Miller. Bridges just hasn't proven he is worth 45 mil per year.

Most he is worth is 25 mil per year. I would tell him to take what PJ got or go kick rocks. If he wanted to be worth more he should have done some things differently.

yea we are going to burn through all the years Miller is underpaid if we bring Bridges back at a near max, guys a headcase
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#872 » by JustBuzzin » Sun May 12, 2024 3:53 am

GoBobs wrote:

Yeah no way I offer him the max. If he wants the max then goodbye. He's not that kind of talent, Like you said im not trying to be locked down to a Melo/Bridges max money situation and we can't build around them. That would be a massive mistake.
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#873 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 5:09 am

GoBobs wrote:

I clearly said near-max not max.

It's more likely than any of your scenarios.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#874 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 5:12 am

And you might want to check the numbers for Miles this year. That's near-max production.
It has been written...
bravor
Starter
And1: 746

Post#875 » by bravor » Sun May 12, 2024 6:40 am

More than an amount, it has to remain a tradable contract

Throwing a 5 years contract (and worst, incl. a PO) would be beyond silly. We are talking about a player with major offcourt question marks, and more than questionable competitiveness (mostly because he only plays on one side of the court).

Something that would make everyone happy would be a similar contract to PJ (not talking about the amount, but about the length and decreasing salary, obviously even if i can't stand him he's worth more than PJ 'business wise' - i prefer PJ on the court by far), knowing Klutch representatives will probably target a bigger market (where Bridges will be able to do his empty stats, esp. against weak opponents). Or a S&T that lands a promising wing (one of NO for instance).
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 965

Post#876 » by MugzZo » Sun May 12, 2024 7:21 am

4 year 90 mill max

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
GoBobs
Assistant Coach

Post#877 » by GoBobs » Sun May 12, 2024 11:02 am

MasterIchiro wrote:And you might want to check the numbers for Miles this year. That's near-max production.

Bridges last year was 21 pts on 17.5 fg attempts.

Oubre the year before was 20 pts on 17.1 fg attempts.

He chucking!
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#878 » by Diop » Sun May 12, 2024 12:54 pm

Fats nailed it before, his stats are very similar to Magette at the same age.

He could be risky for big money if his awareness doesn’t improve
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#879 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 1:20 pm

GoBobs wrote:
MasterIchiro wrote:And you might want to check the numbers for Miles this year. That's near-max production.

Bridges last year was 21 pts on 17.5 fg attempts.

Oubre the year before was 20 pts on 17.1 fg attempts.

He chucking!

You're in for a big letdown. Oubre shot poorly on high volume 3's, bumping up his points per attempt. Miles is way beyond Oubre as a 3-level scorer, not to mention playmaker. Oubre has zero ability to facilitate offense. He's a black hole.

You could find a better comparison.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM

Post#880 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 1:23 pm

And if you must insist Oubre and Miles are comparable players, I can't fathom you actually watch them play.

I mean I know you do, but I'm not sure how you can watch both and draw that conclusion.

Edit: Oubre has no floor game at all.
It has been written...

Return to Charlotte Hornets