Starter
And1: 3,784

Re: 2024 Draft Prospect: Ron Holland 

Post#21 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 10, 2024 3:22 am

wilson115 wrote:He's putting in work on that jumper at least

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

That form is not good. It isn’t broken, but it doesn’t inspire confidence. Just not smooth or pure, and not just the arms, it’s the fact that he jumps forward so far.

Still, the most concerning part is that he’s hooping in pants. That would take most players off my board completely.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,813

Post#22 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 3:24 am

And he has the receding hairline of a 40 yr old.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,119

Post#23 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri May 10, 2024 3:40 am

EmpireFalls wrote:

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

That form is not good. It isn’t broken, but it doesn’t inspire confidence. Just not smooth or pure, and not just the arms, it’s the fact that he jumps forward so far.

Still, the most concerning part is that he’s hooping in pants. That would take most players off my board completely.

What's wrong with his form ? His initial shot comes from the hip like Lamelos does.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,591

Post#24 » by HornetJail » Fri May 10, 2024 3:48 am

very Kevin Martin esque
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 999

Post#25 » by wilson115 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:04 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

What's wrong with his form ? His initial shot comes from the hip like Lamelos does.

Interesting takes there, this guy's (says he's an M.D.) noticed as much:

Read on Twitter

Similar take on his shooting form:
https://mavsdraft.com/ron-holland-scouting-report/
https://mavsdraft.com/dissecting-ron-hollands-weaknesses-against-rio-grande-valley/
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#26 » by Rich4114 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:48 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:And he has the receding hairline of a 40 yr old.

Dudes with weird hairlines in the NBA are always solid.

Also his jump shot reminds me of Cody Martin's lol
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#27 » by Snidely FC » Mon May 13, 2024 9:28 pm

John Hollinger, Senior NBA correspondent at The Athletic, and former VP Basketball Operations at Memphis Grizzlies, ranks Holland #1. If Holland drops to 6 I hope the Hornets select him.

He shot a ghastly 24 percent from 3 in the G League, and his avert-your-eyes start to the G League season — including an 11-turnover game — had scouts shuddering.

Now, for the good news: He came into the year as the top-rated player on most boards, had better numbers with G League Ignite than any other one-and-done in its history … and somehow went careening down draft boards anyway, even in a draft year where absolutely nobody came in and claimed the top spot for themselves.

I don’t really get it. The biggest complaint with Holland is his lack of efficiency, but that was baked in the second Ignite built this roster. Virtually any teenager put in a situation where he has to carry a 30 percent usage rate is going to struggle; we saw it with LaMelo Ball in Australia and Scoot Henderson in Portland. Holland was no different, especially since he’s not a natural point guard in the first place. Playing on a team with no real creator, he often had to call his own number against loaded-up defenses.

Did he get tunnel vision once he put it on the floor? Absolutely. Was it so tragic to rule him out versus other non-overwhelming options? I don’t think so, especially as the season wore on.

Holland's numbers stack up well against Jalen Green’s with Ignite and are superior to every other Ignite perimeter player who has come through. That happened despite Holland missing the final two months of the season, when his increasing experience would have given him an edge and when the rest of the G League is at its most depleted due to call-ups and fewer assignment players.

In his Ignite season, Green posted a 15.4 PER with 61.3 percent true shooting; Holland had a 15.8 PER on 56.5 percent. The shooting numbers were bad, but Green played on a more coherent team and thus also was only asked to carry a 23 percent usage rate at this level, not Holland’s 28 percent. Also, keep in mind that Holland’s free-throw rate was pretty massive for a perimeter player; four free-throw attempts per game may not seem like much until you remember the G League shoots one attempt that counts for two points. Only 10 players in the whole G League matched his rate. And even with Holland’s brutal early turnover issues, his assist and turnover rates were essentially the same as Green’s age-18 season.

Green would be the No. 1 pick in this draft; I think Holland should be too.

The other reason to like Holland is his defense. His 3.5 percent steal rate stands out; some iffy gambles spiked the total, but there is real talent (and fire) on this end. Overall, his rates of rebounds, steals and blocks compare favorably to former Ignite lottery pick Dyson Daniels, for instance, who has now become an awesome defender at the NBA level. I think Holland has similar pathways to being elite at this end.

On top of that, there’s the good ol’ eye test. I’ve seen Holland shoot a ton, both before games and during them, having watched him in person several times over the last year. He has a low push shot that needs some work, but he’s also not a 24 percent 3-point shooter. His 72.8 percent mark from the line is a more accurate tell on where he stands as a shooter — he isn't Stephen Curry, but his shot isn’t broken either. Just reaching the point where he makes one in three would make him a potent two-way wing, and that feels attainable.

Lastly, consider Holland’s age. With a July 2005 birthdate, he’s nearly a full year younger than several other players vying for places with him in the high lottery: He's six months younger than Rob Dillingham, nine months younger than Stephon Castle or Matas Buzelis and more than a year younger than Donovan Clingan and Reed Sheppard. Teams get caught on class year, but birth year is what matters.

It's not a slam dunk, and you could make a credible case for several players, but Holland has been the top player on my board since the 2023 Hoop Summit. He still has the best overall résumé.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#28 » by Bassman » Tue May 14, 2024 12:10 am

Holland will likely be in the mix for our pick, but Holland’s take is based so much on previous promise verses the reality we saw at Ignite. Makes a lot of excuses for his season there IMO. Still think he could be pretty good but some wonky elements to his shooting and game.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,710

Post#29 » by yosemiteben » Tue May 14, 2024 12:25 am

Bassman wrote:Holland will likely be in the mix for our pick, but Holland’s take is based so much on previous promise verses the reality we saw at Ignite. Makes a lot of excuses for his season there IMO. Still think he could be pretty good but some wonky elements to his shooting and game.

Dude won't turn 19 until after he's drafted, so yeah you're largely banking on what he can become. I don't see that as just an excuse, he's an impressive player given his age and development. Get him in a stable environment with a supportive, developmentally minded coaching staff and he has the ingredients to be special.

I can see not being interested in rolling the dice, but I'd probably do it.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#30 » by KingCat » Tue May 14, 2024 1:21 am

In a strange draft like this, I wouldn't at all mind taking a swing on him. He is the only guy on our range that I can see becoming a two way allstar. I 100% see the risk in him, but would be happy to see what our new staff could turn him into.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,970

Post#31 » by Diop » Tue May 14, 2024 1:47 am

i think Holland is my new favourite.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 965

Post#32 » by MugzZo » Tue May 14, 2024 3:53 am

Holland is my guy aswell. His measurements really solidified what I already thought or knew to be true. Pair that with his age. There is alot to like. An athlete like him with his measurements would be a gift at 6. I also really like his teammate buzelis as well. I think we would be lucky to get either one. As I liked both if we were at 3.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#33 » by KingCat » Thu May 16, 2024 5:47 pm

Is he our defacto pick if all of Reed, Risacher, Castle, and Topic are off the table by 6?

I maybe bias as I don't at all see what Matas brings to the table and don't see a reason to draft Clingan.

Also maybe I'm sleeping on Knecht.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#34 » by Diop » Sat May 18, 2024 9:33 am

Knecht looks like he could fill that Oubre roll of chucker off the bench. I prefer an intense defensive presence though
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#35 » by Snidely FC » Sat May 18, 2024 12:47 pm

I think the team needs to focus on adding two way players with good positional size

Holland fits the bill
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#36 » by Diop » Sat May 18, 2024 1:59 pm

sounds like British Buzz Plowright's opinion is different and is going to post his reasons soon.

in his teasers he's already made good points. which annoys me as I want Holland to be great for the teams sake.

Read on Twitter
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#37 » by fatlever » Sat May 18, 2024 5:19 pm

I feel like Holland is a dude that if you draft him you do it with the understanding that he's spending all of next year in Greensboro and all 2nd season sitting at the end of the bench playing garbage time waiting until season 3 to finally get a chance.

This is also probably true for several players that we might draft at 6. Some of this is that I fully expect us to add more veterans to this team and look to try to push for the playoffs

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,322

Post#38 » by amcoolio » Sat May 18, 2024 6:13 pm

Yeah he’s two years away from being in a rotation. LaMelo is on a max, we should be winning now
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#39 » by JDR720 » Sat May 18, 2024 6:17 pm

There are no "win now" candidates at 6th in this draft. Knect, Reed, Clingan and Edey are probably the closest ones. They all have roles for 15-25 minutes per game as rookies.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,784

Post#40 » by EmpireFalls » Sat May 18, 2024 6:40 pm

amcoolio wrote:Yeah he’s two years away from being in a rotation. LaMelo is on a max, we should be winning now

We could sign OG Anunoby and we’d still be a play-in team at best.

Tank it for Flagg and make sure Melo’s ankles aren’t ****, then see where we are summer of 2025.

Return to Charlotte Hornets